Ivroy ferrules and hard tips

junkbond

The dog ate my stroke.
Silver Member
I recently picked up a nice (Nitti) shaft with a half-inch ivory ferrule. It has a black pad under the tip (Moori medium). I understand that the pad is to protect the ferrule against shock/impact. Is this just a precaution or is it a necessity?

I prefer hard tips and want to have a Kamui Black hard installed. Is this a problem with an ivory ferrule (if I leave the pad in place)? Is there a limit to the allowable hardness of the tip on ivory ferrules? It seems to me that a medium tip without a pad would be about equivalent to a hard tip with a pad, or is there something I'm missing here (wouldn't be the first time)?

Thanks guys,
Howard

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently picked up a nice (Nitti) shaft with a half-inch ivory ferrule. It has a black pad under the tip (Moori medium). I understand that the pad is to protect the ferrule against shock/impact. Is this just a precaution or is it a necessity?

I prefer hard tips and want to have a Kamui Black hard installed. Is this a problem with an ivory ferrule (if I leave the pad in place)? Is there a limit to the allowable hardness of the tip on ivory ferrules? It seems to me that a medium tip without a pad would be about equivalent to a hard tip with a pad, or is there something I'm missing here (wouldn't be the first time)?

Thanks guys,
Howard

I'm not a big proponent of ivory ferrules as I feel there are better materials available, in my opinion. However, many like their hit and of coarse they do look great so as far as to your question: I feel that ivory is just not as strong as many other materials and may last 50 years or just one shot. It is a natural substance so you are at the mercy of the genes of the animal that grew it. Teeth just weren't designed to contact a very hard object. I put on pads on most ivory ferrules that I either install or add a tip to. I just feel it is a little extra edge to help protect the ferrule. Not letting tips get to short helps also, imo. Some folks don't like the pads between the ferrule and tip so I always do what they like but I tell them why I feel a pad helps. Does it actually help? I couldn't say for positive one way or another but I have my opinions so take it for what it is.

Dick

BLACKHEARTCUES

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As usual Dick has explained it pretty well. I would add, that I have Ivory ferrules on all of my personal shafts, with a pad. I have aged Ivory & feel pretty confident, it their strength. I do break with my cues, but I recommend NOT breaking with them. I also always leave a 1/4" solid cap on the end of the Ivory ferrules...JER

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As usual Dick has explained it pretty well. I would add, that I have Ivory ferrules on all of my personal shafts, with a pad. I have aged Ivory & feel pretty confident, it their strength. I do break with my cues, but I recommend NOT breaking with them. I also always leave a 1/4" solid cap on the end of the Ivory ferrules...JER

What he said...again

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ivory ferrules

I've use Ivory ferrules capped and uncapped without a pad for the last twenty years on my own cues. Been lucky I guess :) I've always installed them capped without a pad and nobody has broken one in the last seven years. Here again, I've had guys break Ivor-x. Linen. Titan and every other ferrule you can think of.....same guys :(
Installation and quality of Ivory Plays a big role as mentioned by others...tips I wouldn't worry too much but Do Not Break With Ivory Ferrules.

Mario

Cuemaster98

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're using a hard tip, why use a ferrule at all. I love ivory ferrule but have now switch over to just the hard Molavia that I play with no ferrule. You'll be amazed, how well they play.

Regards,
Duc.