J. Shaw's wife...................

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think so as well. I guess just a confluence of factors and I suppose the EMTs would have acted as directed. But I also think that they should have insisted very very strongly that she go in. If they didn't then negligent in my opinion.

I was very surprised to learn that she didn't go directly to the ER. Tough to analyze this in hindsight from the perspective of spectator.
In situations like these, sometime those looking in can provide clearer perspective because emotion isn't a factor.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
In situations like these, sometime those looking in can provide clearer perspective because emotion isn't a factor.
True, I just mean for the timeline details and why certain choices were made. Without having been present from incident to the conversation with paramedics even those of us who were at the room only have fractions of the full story.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Makes you wonder how the call came in. Drunk lady at bar vs. serious head injury might have had something to do with arrival time. I've called the bus a few times in my life and it never took more than about 15min for them to show. Strange indeed.
After reading all the posts, I come away feeling for Jason and his family. The fact that American pool players need to supplement their income with action matches to make ends meet is sad. For most people long term no good can come from "making" a living gambling.

I hope Matchroom and others can improve income for pro's, so traveling to gamble at all hours would not be necessary. Thank goodness Jason's wife did not die.

Happy Holidays!

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
For those who criticized Jennie in this thread. Her perspective is from a seasoned road warrior who has seen a lot of shady shit go down over the years. She understands the pressure on the partners of professional players. I have known her now for 20+ years and she is straight up and a unswerving advocate for the players and their families.

For some this is much more personal than for others. No need to add more hurt than has already been suffered by Ara and Jayson.

Many reactions to this incident have been given from shock and outrage to unemotional analysis. Let's all just wish Ara a full recovery.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's more like half a percentage point to 1% on average that have quit or been fired for non-compliance. Based on what I could find looking for information on the subject.
It's kind of like unemployment numbers getting better because they don't count people who used up all their benefits.

Lots of people decided working on the front lines isn't worth it and are now semiretired. It's much more than 1%. Cops, fire people, truckers....

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
It's kind of like unemployment numbers getting better because they don't count people who used up all their benefits.

Lots of people decided working on the front lines isn't worth it and are now semiretired. It's much more than 1%. Cops, fire people, truckers....
Perhaps but you specifically said health care and in the interest of accuracy over a contentious issue we should try to be factual. In health care the percentage that have left, either voluntarily or involuntarily is about 1%. In the larger economy the average is more like 3% at best.

No city should have an hour wait for EMTs in my opinion. This is a field that should be overstaffed I think.

Last edited:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps but you specifically said health care and in the interest of accuracy over a contentious issue we should try to be factual. In health care the percentage that have left, either voluntarily or involuntarily is about 1%. In the larger economy the average is more like 3% at best.

No city should have an hour wait for EMTs in my opinion. This is a field that should be overstaffed I think.
We lost much more than that.

Better get used to substandard care, part of building back you know.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's more like half a percentage point to 1% on average that have quit or been fired for non-compliance. Based on what I could find looking for information on the subject.
And how many just stopped working?
Don't you see how this is done?

How many stories were written about the extra 400,000 businesses that went broke? Any old fashioned 20/20 interviews?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Things aren't as portrayed.
This is an opinion poll. What people say they will or won't do and what the numbers actually are can be quite different. Also this poll does NOT say that the alleged extrapolated numbers are based on covid mandates as you suggested. The reasons given are as quoted, "The poll showed the exodus is primarily driven by the pandemic, insufficient pay or opportunities, and burnout, according to Morning Consult."

The information I gave you was from reading many reputable sources, each responsible for tracking health care industry trends. I didn't link to them because I didn't want to derail this thread further.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
We lost much more than that.

Better get used to substandard care, part of building back you know.
And how many just stopped working?
Don't you see how this is done?

How many stories were written about the extra 400,000 businesses that went broke? Any old fashioned 20/20 interviews?
I don't see any reason to continue this discussion here. I lived in Germany for 10 years. Jayson grew up in Scotland. Both of us had universal health care in Scotland and Germany and if this had happened there then the cost of treatment wouldn't have been at issue. I should not have mentioned the speculation that lack of health care insurance might have been a factor in the decision even though I think others had made the same point.

In those countries, care comes first in emergency situations and the affected aren't thinking about the possible tens to hundreds of thousands that they might face for going to the ER and being admitted for a battery of tests. I don't know if that was a thing in this situation and I hope it was not. I am glad that Ara made it back home and is under the care of her doctor there and surrounded by her family and friends.

I don't think that we need to turn this thread into a political policy discussion and I apologize for any nudge in that direction. If you want to have a substantive debate on these subjects I am always willing to do in the appropriate place. Just PM me at your leisure.

Last edited:

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
There is a very real, and objective, "acid" test to be considered in this matter: police involvement. Whether or not the police were brought into this matter can provide very reliable insight as to what certain persons or entities considered. In most situation, more reliable evidence can be found in what actions a person took as the events unfolded in contrast to what the person said afterwards.
(Isn't this concept engrained in our A,B,C's of Life -- "Actions speak louder than words"?)

Assuming that drugs were introduced into someone's drink, a very serious threat to public safety
existed which demanded full investigation by the police. (IMHO, whether a husband properly tended to his wife's welfare is a matter largely between the two of them. However, the issue of persons drugging others in bars is a matter in which we all have a stake.) I submit that more than one person had a very real interest in seeing that the police were brought into this matter if they had reason to believe that a drugging incident had occurred -- the husband to avenge the assault on his wife, the room owner to protect his patrons and his business, and the medical providers to fulfill their statutory obligation to report assaults.

So, what was it? Did anyone call the cops?

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a very real, and objective, "acid" test to be considered in this matter: police involvement. Whether or not the police were brought into this matter can provide very reliable insight as to what certain persons or entities considered. In most situation, more reliable evidence can be found in what actions a person took as the events unfolded in contrast to what the person says afterward.
(Isn't this concept engrained in our A,B,C's of Life -- "Actions speak louder than words".)

Assuming that drugs were introduced into someone's drink, a very serious threat to public safety
existed which demanded full investigation by the police. (IMHO, whether a husband properly tended to his wife's welfare is a matter largely between the two of them. However, the issue of persons drugging others in bars is a matter in which we all have a stake.) I submit that more than one person had a very real interest in seeing that the police were brought into this matter if they had reason to believe that a drugging incident had occurred -- the husband to avenge the assault on his wife, the room owner to protect his patrons and his business, and the medical providers to fulfill their statutory obligation to report assaults.

Why would they?? None of this hearsay/conspiracy theory surfaced til much later. Absolutely zero proof that anything nefarious happened. All the assumptions/guesses prove nothing. Easy to say all this well after the fact. Still means nothing.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
There is a very real, and objective, "acid" test to be considered in this matter: police involvement. Whether or not the police were brought into this matter can provide very reliable insight as to what certain persons or entities considered. In most situation, more reliable evidence can be found in what actions a person took as the events unfolded in contrast to what the person said afterwards.
(Isn't this concept engrained in our A,B,C's of Life -- "Actions speak louder than words".)

When it happened no one thought it was anything other than an accident caused by Ara's alcohol intolerance and lack of food. The idea that there was any drugs in her system was not publicly brought up until the day after the match was concluded. No police were called. I personally think that a police report should have been made with ANY suspicion of being drugged. But as with many things in life the decisions made during a situation don't always reflect the thoughts of what someone should have done with the luxury of hindsight.

As I stated earlier in the thread I don't know what type of test was administered, don't know what the chart looks like, don't know how reliable the test is or what the threshold is. I personally have a hard time reading the test strips for my pool water.

As of right now the evidence for being drugged is rather light. However I would HOPE that when she went to the hospital and related the experience that blood was drawn and urine requested to see whatever could be seen. I know that a few time when my pain pills ran out I borrowed some and subsequent urine tests requested by the VA showed the presence of the borrowed formulations more than a week after the pills had been taken. So perhaps there is some chance that if she was really drugged that it might still be detectable.

I don't think that the room owner had any grounds to make a police report based on what was known and said at the time and currently I don't think that he has grounds after the fact. I don't think that him making any report would protect his reputation because the affected persons are no longer in Oklahoma and even if they were directly available the room owner can only show what he has on camera. That video was sent to Jayson according to what I have been told by the owner. I do agree that the EMTs should have some kind of duty to report but at the time it happened no one was reporting to them that there was a suspicion of assault.

Reactions: JAM

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those who criticized Jennie in this thread. Her perspective is from a seasoned road warrior who has seen a lot of shady shit go down over the years. She understands the pressure on the partners of professional players. I have known her now for 20+ years and she is straight up and a unswerving advocate for the players and their families.

For some this is much more personal than for others. No need to add more hurt than has already been suffered by Ara and Jayson.

Many reactions to this incident have been given from shock and outrage to unemotional analysis. Let's all just wish Ara a full recovery.
We all have perspectives that develop from our experiences and mine/ yours/ his/ hers are no more or less genuine than another's.