J. Shaw's wife...................

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
One last thing. My wishes are for a full and complete recovery for Ara which could take a long time. Jayson has a dilemma which he shared with me. He is supposed to leave next week for the MC and he is torn between staying and going. I encouraged him to go and dedicate the week to Ara. I'm not picking sides here but I would like to see him have a great Cup and show the world what a true champion he is. Bon Voyage Jayson!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
You are usually a good poster, but you can't even spell 'doctor'. Your info is second hand and you have no medical training. Maybe Jayson has medical training, I don't know. These posts are not helping anybody, just feeding the grist mill.

No, they start with facts. Before hypothesizing on drugs, they would have either an admission or a drug test.

And you aren't Columbo, either.
Thank you for sharing.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In our phone call, Jayson was torn between continuing the match or staying at the hotel with Ara. They both thought she would recover during the course of the day and she should just stay in the hotel room and rest, and not come with him to the match, since she was still feeling sick. Jayson was concerned that if he tried to postpone or delay the match he would be harshly criticized. I told him that no one that mattered would be critical if he had asked Dennis and Roy to delay the match. Dennis had told me earlier that he would not have objected if he had known how sick Ara was. Dennis was long gone from the pool hall when this happened. He had left to get some rest and came back early the next day to practice his break.

Jayson kept in touch with his wife during the course of play on day three via text messages and when she informed him of how bad she was doing he became more concerned again, but continued to play, with her well being weighing heavily on his mind. I asked Jayson if anyone was there in the hotel with Ara, and he told me she was alone. At some point as the day progressed and she kept sending him messages about vomiting and laying on the floor he just wanted to get the match over with and get back to her.

It was a bad situation for Jayson and Ara to be in. He wanted to quit but felt like he couldn't. Jayson was caught between the proverbial rock and a hard place. He and Ara were dealing with a situation where they had no prior experience. I have a lot of respect for Jayson, and after our long phone call that only increased. He is a good man that loves his wife with all his heart and takes his position in the pool community seriously, working hard at his job. He prepared himself well for this match. That much was obvious. The money that was on the line was important to him, much of it his and Ara's. This was no exhibition! I will give him and Ara the benefit of the doubt in all cases here. It was hard for them to know what the best course of action was. Any of us may have done the same thing under the circumstances.

My advice to Jayson, Ara and everyone else is to always be on your guard during these troubled times. Crazy things are happening all around us and none of us want to get caught up in it. Flash mobs robbing high end stores in the middle of the day, streetside armed robberies at upscale eating places also in the middle of the day, follow home robberies after shopping in high end stores, and more and more violent behaviors playing out in unlikely places. This is so unlike any other time I can remember during my life. We are living in a time when those who would harm us do not fear any repercussions. You can't depend on the police to protect you. You must look out for yourself at all times. As for me, I'm driving a used Camry and will forego any shopping at high end malls or business areas like in Beverly Hills. I'll stick to the blue collar neighborhood where I live and still watch my back when I go out. All these years around poolrooms and gambling joints has given me a pretty good built in radar. I automatically stay aware of my surroundings and who is in my area. I will spot a weirdo before anyone else.
One last thing. My wishes are for a full and complete recovery for Ara which could take a long time. Jayson has a dilemma which he shared with me. He is supposed to leave next week for the MC and he is torn between staying and going. I encouraged him to go and dedicate the week to Ara. I'm not picking sides here but I would like to see him have a great Cup and show the world what a true champion he is. Bon Voyage Jayson!
It's tough to play armchair quarterback in situations like this but I am pretty condident if I were in Jayson's shoes it would have been an easy choice: take my wife to the hospital and stay with her. No amount of money or public image is worth risking my wife's well being (life) and I certainly would not be traveling overseas, leaving my wife at home to deal with children and a household with her injuries. I'm fairly confident all involved with the Mosconi Cup would 100% understand and support Jayson staying stateside to care for his ill wife.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's tough to play armchair quarterback in situations like this but I am pretty condident if I were in Jayson's shoes it would have been an easy choice: take my wife to the hospital and stay with her. No amount of money or public image is worth risking my wife's well being (life) and I certainly would not be traveling overseas, leaving my wife at home to deal with children and a household with her injuries. I'm fairly confident all involved with the Mosconi Cup would 100% understand and support Jayson staying stateside to care for his ill wife.
I tend to agree with you but Ara does have family there to help her if need be. And they are. I think (but am not sure) they are also encouraging Jayson to go and represent Europe.

Reactions: JAM

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know me, and I would NEVER, EVER insinuate Roy's crew. I'm sure you realize Roy may have not been the only one involved in betting on one side or the other, though. It is that sector I am thinking about. Again, I would NEVER, EVER insinuate Roy and anybody associated with Roy. I think we all know he's above board and always has been in everything he is involved in, not to mention his contributions to pool as a whole and support to a variety of pro players. I just have to lay it out there in this thread before some troll, banned member posting, or Oklahoma City fan or local from this pool room comes forth with a theory, in an effort to throw suspicions elsewhere, insinuating that Jayson's wife is a closet drug addict and/or Roy did something untoward. It happened in this pool room bar, and this crime, for lack of a better word, was committed by somebody in that pool room bar.

Those who might be misinterpreted in this thread are those who are hinting young girls take drugs without their other half knowing and to look for the needle marks, et cetera. How insulting this is for an innocent woman who was drugged unknowingly, mother of two children, and wife who supports pool and a pro player! Shame on anyone in this thread who hints at this untruth. Shame on them!

And whether Jayson was drinking shots, water, or a milkshake, it is my opinion that the drug was intended for him and not his wife. What benefit would anybody have in drugging his wife? But if somebody was gambling, betting on Dennis to win, they could easily go near the area where the drinks were that Ara and her husband were sitting at.

The bottom line is that it is a fact that somebody drugged a drink that was consumed by a member of the Shaw family. Whoever it was and for what purpose is a mystery at this juncture, but it was not Jayson, his wife, or Roy who did it. It was some person inside that pool room bar who was gambling big money on Dennis to win. What other reason would anyone have to drug Jayson and/or his wife?
And whether Jayson was drinking shots, water, or a milkshake, it is my opinion that the drug was intended for him and not his wife. What benefit would anybody have in drugging his wife? But if somebody was gambling, betting on Dennis to win, they could easily go near the area where the drinks were that Ara and her husband were sitting at.”

Well, if the perpetrator couldn’t directly manipulate jayson the second best targ would be his wife. If she has an episode during the match that is a terrible distraction for Jayson.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most all the allegations have disappeared from FB now.....truth is a tough pill to swallow.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How/why this match wasn't halted or postponed is beyond me...Jayson/opponent/owner/friends should have insisted...period, no excuse.

Hope Ara recovers soon.
I'd think if requested, a delay to the final day would have been accommodated.
It doesn't sound as though such a thing was reauested

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Those sort of fractures carry a 20% mortality rate. Very serious traumatic brain injury.

He says the ambulance driver urged him not to bring her in, assuming she had drank too much and just needed to sleep it off. That sort of incompetence is actionable and investigating that could be much more beneficial.
I agree and consider that to be highly negligent. Regardless of why she passed out she hit her head extremely hard.

Especially since a hospital is literally one minute from the pool room.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just don't understand why everyone thinks they need to know the facts. None of it is anyone's business but Jason and his wife's. If they choose to share any or all of it is their business and their business only. The only thing about this that anyone should be concerned about is how is she doing, and pray for a full recovery. All this crap about whether he should have played or not, is just BS. Sports people continue on all the time, heck she may have actually told him she wanted to continue playing. Nobody knows for sure, and it really doesn't matter as to what you would do in such a situation. Some of you should be more concerned with what really matters, that she is doing better, and forget about all this other stupid stuff.
I don’t understand why anyone would invite the world into this in the first place. What is the benefit of going on social media and sharing something like this? People need to stop posting their lives to everyone.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I just don't understand why everyone thinks they need to know the facts. None of it is anyone's business but Jason and his wife's. If they choose to share any or all of it is their business and their business only. The only thing about this that anyone should be concerned about is how is she doing, and pray for a full recovery. All this crap about whether he should have played or not, is just BS. Sports people continue on all the time, heck she may have actually told him she wanted to continue playing. Nobody knows for sure, and it really doesn't matter as to what you would do in such a situation. Some of you should be more concerned with what really matters, that she is doing better, and forget about all this other stupid stuff.
I think because Jayson put it out there about the results of the home drug test that it went from a bad accident story to a potentially criminal act during a major match between two of pools superstars.

I was there and seeing her laying on the floor was scary. I even said let's take her to the hospital ourselves and of course I was shut down, rightly so, by the nurses in attendance. I was, like everyone else, upset that the ambulance took over an hour to arrive.

I have more details but at this point the best thing is to wish Ara a full recovery and for them to hopefully get to a point where this is a distant memory.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was, like everyone else, upset that the ambulance took over an hour to arrive.
This, I cannot wrap my head around. A potentially severe head injury that induced a flatline and they took over an hour. Unacceptable is putting it mildly.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This, I cannot wrap my head around. A potentially severe head injury that induced a flatline and they took over an hour. Unacceptable is putting it mildly.
Makes you wonder how the call came in. Drunk lady at bar vs. serious head injury might have had something to do with arrival time. I've called the bus a few times in my life and it never took more than about 15min for them to show. Strange indeed.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Coincidentally a local story came up in my news feed about a town near us that is considering cancelling their contract with the ambulance service because of the increase in response times far above what was negotiated in the contract.

I made the following point to a friend in private conversation about this regarding possible lack of health insurance being a reason why they didn't go to the hospital and I said that would be another tragedy on top of it. No person should need to choose between financial solvency and emergency care.

But along with that comes the fact that medical care declines when those in the field are expected to operate at peak pressure for relatively low wages. So it appears that at least in Oklahoma City one ambulance service provider is dealing with a shortage of emts that they claim is causing response times to be longer.

In the "greatest country in the world" this should never be a thing. We pay celebrities insane amounts of money to entertain us but we have an aversion to paying those who can save our lives enough money to insure that they can work less and relieve the pressure they experience.

Regardless though I have to believe that there is some negligence here because the circumstances should have been enough to take her to the emergency room without asking.

For that I am super embarrassed at the lack of care Ara and Jayson received at the hands of the ambulance company in my city.

I think most of us assumed when she was taken out on a stretcher that they would be going directly to the e.r.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Makes you wonder how the call came in. Drunk lady at bar vs. serious head injury might have had something to do with arrival time. I've called the bus a few times in my life and it never took more than about 15min for them to show. Strange indeed.
I believe that a couple of the nurses called 911. I can only assume that they would have communicated the severity.

There were 2 nurses and one former EMT present, regular customers, who were attending to Ara in some capacity.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Coincidentally a local story came up in my news feed about a town near us that is considering cancelling their contract with the ambulance service because of the increase in response times far above what was negotiated in the contract.

I made the following point to a friend in private conversation about this regarding possible lack of health insurance being a reason why they didn't go to the hospital and I said that would be another tragedy on top of it. No person should need to choose between financial solvency and emergency care.

But along with that comes the fact that medical care declines when those in the field are expected to operate at peak pressure for relatively low wages. So it appears that at least in Oklahoma City one ambulance service provider is dealing with a shortage of emts that they claim is causing response times to be longer.

In the "greatest country in the world" this should never be a thing. We pay celebrities insane amounts of money to entertain us but we have an aversion to paying those who can save our lives enough money to insure that they can work less and relieve the pressure they experience.

Regardless though I have to believe that there is some negligence here because the circumstances should have been enough to take her to the emergency room without asking.

For that I am super embarrassed at the lack of care Ara and Jayson received at the hands of the ambulance company in my city.

I think most of us assumed when she was taken out on a stretcher that they would be going directly to the e.r.
I live in Tulsa and with EMSA(city contacted service) you have to deny service in cases like this. They'll always take a suspected head injury straight to ER unless told otherwise. The paperwork is a pita and usually its just easier to go get checked out at med. ctr.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Covid mandates?
We lost about 20% of staff in healthcare.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I live in Tulsa and with EMSA(city contacted service) you have to deny service in cases like this. They'll always take a suspected head injury straight to ER unless told otherwise. The paperwork is a pita and usually its just easier to go get checked out at med. ctr.
I think so as well. I guess just a confluence of factors and I suppose the EMTs would have acted as directed. But I also think that they should have insisted very very strongly that she go in. If they didn't then negligent in my opinion.

I was very surprised to learn that she didn't go directly to the ER. Tough to analyze this in hindsight from the perspective of spectator.