Jacoby Hybrid shaft Question?

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My buddy asked me to try it out and tell him if I noticed something odd.
The shaft played really really well but every once in awhile I felt a tick
or a almost miscue feel when hitting the ball.
I checked the joint cause its a 3x810 to make sure it was tight then looked at the tip.
The stock Everest tip is so burnished I thought it wasn't layered.
Has anybody ever dealt with these shafts and noticed the same thing?
I told him to change the tip and take it from there or maybe these shafts
sound weird sometimes.
It did play great though, except for that. By the way, the shaft was brand new
Thanks for any input:)

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is possible that what your feeling or hearing is that under the tip, the very top of the ferrules inside is hollow if I am not mistaken. Hopefully I am not wrong.
when replacing a tip and the guy doing it asked me about it, I told him to fill the area with glue, lol. don
t know but check that out first. if he has a soft tip that is ;maybe what your hearing or feeling.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is possible that what your feeling or hearing is that under the tip, the very top of the ferrules inside is hollow if I am not mistaken. Hopefully I am not wrong.
when replacing a tip and the guy doing it asked me about it, I told him to fill the area with glue, lol. don
t know but check that out first. if he has a soft tip that is ;maybe what your hearing or feeling.

Maybe its the ferrule thing your talking about. The tip is just the stock Everest
but it really looked like it had a coating over it. I even scuffed it a bit cause chalk
wasn't sticking well either.

thefonz

It's not me...it's my ADD
Silver Member
Glazed tips will sound like that, I think on ld shafts it's amplified. It could be the ferrule making noise too.

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could also be that the tip is partially coming off. A buddy of mine had a 314-2 that he could still play with real well and only now and then noticed a little tick or sticking sound. He let me shoot around with it and I noticed it then. Funny thing is he could still draw and make any stroke shot before here realized it, but afterwards he couldn't run out three balls lol. Pool is one hell of a mental game.

rob245

Registered
This same thing happened to me when I bought my custom Jacoby with the hybrid shaft. Come to find out the tip was not put on correct. I had the tip glued on by a local guy. I then contacted Jacoby and they reimbursed me for the tip. no problems after that.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sanded the tip a bit and noticed the very peak layer came off very easy
and now that sound is gone. I enjoy these shafts as much as Predator,
which I never thought was possible.

Rain-Man

Team Deplorable
Silver Member
I sanded the tip a bit and noticed the very peak layer came off very easy
and now that sound is gone. I enjoy these shafts as much as Predator,
which I never thought was possible.

You had a delaminated layer of leather on the tip. Happens on Everests sometimes, especially when too much heat was generated during the burnishing of it..

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Jacoby

I checked the joint cause its a 3x810 to make sure it was tight then looked at the tip.
sound weird sometimes.

I haven't tried out any of the Jacoby shafts, I did meet David Jacoby in Reno at the Bar box Tournament .
If someone has a problem with there Jacoby cue they should contact Mr Jacoby.
He seems reasonable and honest.

I think he good man that's stands behind everything he says...........................
Sorry this might be off topic but Mr Jacoby seemed like the real deal to me......

Rain-Man

Team Deplorable
Silver Member
I haven't tried out any of the Jacoby shafts, I did meet David Jacoby in Reno at the Bar box Tournament .
If someone has a problem with there Jacoby cue they should contact Mr Jacoby.
He seems reasonable and honest.

I think he good man that's stands behind everything he says...........................
Sorry this might be off topic but Mr Jacoby seemed like the real deal to me......

I second your opinion.. Im very proud to be an Authorized Jacoby dealer, and can say without hesitation that the whole crew at Jacoby are just awesome people. Anytime ask for a custom order to be done, it's done in a reasonable time frame, done exactly to the specs provided to them, and at a very reasonable price.. Just a great group of people..

Rain-Man

Rain-Man

Team Deplorable
Silver Member
Picture of a Ferrule from a Jacoby Edge Hybrid shaft...

Description from Jacoby:
Ferrule:
Our ferrules are comprised of rigid polyurethane that is very light and provides great impact resistance.* They are machined with a unique hole pattern to further reduce weight and insure maximum tip adhesion.

Attachments

• IMG_5731.jpg
    IMG_5731.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 794

Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to share a similar experience.

Been using the Porper Tip Burnisher on my everest tip

Recently it gave me the same ticking sound similar to what you have described, almost miscue sound.

Happens sometimes when doing drag shots with english.

I hope it's the tip delaminated instead of the ferrule cracked.

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member
sound weird sometimes.

This is the shaft I play with and I have never noticed anything like that except when I was testing it at the shop. They had the crappy Everest tip on it and that's what was causing the weird feeling of miss cueing. The guy at the store let me try his jacoby edge hybrid out that had a Kamui tip on it and it felt much better. So I put on a super soft Kamui tip and it plays like a dream. Highly recommend this shaft to anyone.

Last edited:

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got tired of all the headaches with layered tips and had a Ki-tech installed on my Hybrid Shaft. It was a little bit of an adjustment, but I'm definitely never putting another layered tip on any of my cues again.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Picture of a Ferrule from a Jacoby Edge Hybrid shaft...

Description from Jacoby:
Ferrule:
Our ferrules are comprised of rigid polyurethane that is very light and provides great impact resistance.* They are machined with a unique hole pattern to further reduce weight and insure maximum tip adhesion.

first, I respect Jacoby's quality and their shafts hit very good. But the part in bold has always been making me wonders, looks like a marketing feature only. How many weight do these tiny holes take away from the ferrule? 1/100 of a gram? Let alone "maximum adhesion" line... IMO thier ferrules could live without those drilled holes pretty good.

ssbn610g

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My 31" Jacoby hybrid has been completely solid with no buzzing or clicking, Nice shaft which I will change over to my preferred tip when I get all the usage out of the Everest I can.

Al