Jay Swanson Memorial Tournament (Question)

randytabares

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let us not forget that this tournament is a memorial for Jay Swanson. Also one of the most stacked tournaments of the year with top players.To watch this tournament for free through POV Pool is a great gift. Sometimes its not just about money, its about something bigger.......

POVPOOL

POV Pool
Silver Member
Here is what I had posted on an earlier thread. I'm not sure if people understand the costs and time it takes to do an event. The host room basically gives up 75% of their income. CSI loses money every year because of the expenses.

We do this because I want to see the vent continue. But with all the computer cowboys and their 'opinion' just makes me want to thro in the towel.

If anyone ever has any questions on this event - all they have to do is pick up the phone and call me: 702-719-7665. That way maybe you will get the actual truth instead of what you 'think' is going on.

As far as the bitc*ing goes - I could care less at this point. I am always open for constructive criticism - but I'm just not interested in listening to the same out crap.

If you are not going to be part of the solution - you might be part of the problem.

Mark Griffin, CEO
CSI

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

18thJay Swanson Memorial 9-Ball - presented by CSI - 12-19-2013, 11:02 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure if I should respond to this post but in the spirit of full disclosure I will try.

Hard Times is a busy pool room. It does NOT have food or much food. Their only source of revenue is table time. The Swanson Memorial takes all of the tables on Saturday until 9 PM or so and most of the tables for a couple of hours on Sunday and then only 10 tables or so for the rest of the day.

Having this event seriously affects their sales for the 2 days. This event is 'at best' a break even proposition. There are a lot of costs to doing an event.

Because of health issues, I will not be able to actually run the event myself - this added about $800 in expenses.

Without any 'sponsors' this is the best we can do. I strongly suggest you and others come up with a better concept - and I will support it. Until then, please respect this long running event for what it is - to honor Jay Swanson and to provide the California pool community an annual 'get together'.

I do object to 'only $4,000 added' - most sports do not have ADDED money events. Be a part of the solution and not part of the problem. Also, there are very few rooms with the number of tables needed to do this event. We have use of 25 or 26 9' tables.

I do welcome constructive comments.
Mark Griffin, CEO
CSI

imissedthe9 said:
This is a no money added tournament.
25 dollar green fee Plus 3 dollar processing fee. 28x192= 5,376
Only 4 k added with a full 192. In other words the players are paying to have this tournament held

But charging a green fee and "adding money" sounds better
Pool players can complain as much as they want about it but it's all they have.

Thanks to Mark for keeping this tournament alive.

In Mark's defense I will also point out the added expense for live-streaming. Mark is merely being a gentleman by not mentioning all of the costs and logistics involved.

This tournament does NOT make any money and is a Memorial Tournament, in honor of, Jay Swanson! Lots of those players go into it, already knowing their money is 'DEAD' because of the caliber of players in it. Nobody is getting ripped off, here. It says what's added and also what the green fees are. This is nothing new in pool tournament language.

Even if Hard Times were to make a few extra hundred on this event, it is well deserved considering how slow it is during other parts of the year that I am witness to.

Do I think the green fee is high? Yes, I think it's high, but that doesn't mean I think people are getting ripped of or hoodwinked.

incrediblehalk

I'm Green
Mark Griffin,

Thank you sir for giving So Cal Pool players and enthusiasts an opportunity to see high caliber players in person.

Daniel Busch,

Thank you for live streaming it for those that can't make it.

jmurphy

SWEET
Silver Member
Here is what I had posted on an earlier thread. I'm not sure if people understand the costs and time it takes to do an event. The host room basically gives up 75% of their income. CSI loses money every year because of the expenses.

We do this because I want to see the vent continue. But with all the computer cowboys and their 'opinion' just makes me want to thro in the towel.

If anyone ever has any questions on this event - all they have to do is pick up the phone and call me: 702-719-7665. That way maybe you will get the actual truth instead of what you 'think' is going on.

As far as the bitc*ing goes - I could care less at this point. I am always open for constructive criticism - but I'm just not interested in listening to the same out crap.

If you are not going to be part of the solution - you might be part of the problem.

Mark Griffin, CEO
CSI

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure if I should respond to this post but in the spirit of full disclosure I will try.

Hard Times is a busy pool room. It does NOT have food or much food. Their only source of revenue is table time. The Swanson Memorial takes all of the tables on Saturday until 9 PM or so and most of the tables for a couple of hours on Sunday and then only 10 tables or so for the rest of the day.

Having this event seriously affects their sales for the 2 days. This event is 'at best' a break even proposition. There are a lot of costs to doing an event.

Because of health issues, I will not be able to actually run the event myself - this added about $800 in expenses.

Without any 'sponsors' this is the best we can do. I strongly suggest you and others come up with a better concept - and I will support it. Until then, please respect this long running event for what it is - to honor Jay Swanson and to provide the California pool community an annual 'get together'.

I do object to 'only $4,000 added' - most sports do not have ADDED money events. Be a part of the solution and not part of the problem. Also, there are very few rooms with the number of tables needed to do this event. We have use of 25 or 26 9' tables.

Mark Griffin, CEO
CSI

imissedthe9 said:
Only 4 k added with a full 192. In other words the players are paying to have this tournament held

Mark I agree that CSI does a very good job of running the event.
I think people have missed the point of this thread. (I'm sure that's my fault)
I stated many times on this thread that I never wanted CSI or Hard Times to lose money on the tournament.
My issue is I would love to see the combination of sponsorship & the Fan's money be enough to cover the cost of the tournament and that way the player's could reap the rewards of the full tournament purse plus true added money.

As far as any thoughts on making the tournament better. IMHO I believe that the tournament should not payout past the top 24 players. This way if you cash you got a shot to put a little ging in your pocket.

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark I agree that CSI does a very good job of running the event.
I think people have missed the point of this thread. (I'm sure that's my fault)
I stated many times on this thread that I never wanted CSI or Hard Times to lose money on the tournament.
My issue is I would love to see the combination of sponsorship & the Fan's money be enough to cover the cost of the tournament and that way the player's could reap the rewards of the full tournament purse plus true added money.

As far as any thoughts on making the tournament better. IMHO I believe that the tournament should not payout past the top 24 players. This way if you cash you got a shot to put a little ging in your pocket.

the only problem with that is there is not way to get down to 24 in one day. and asking people to pay for a room for another night not knowing if they are in the money is tough.

Mark, I love the tournament and hope it continues, Yes, I think the wording could be different but it doesnt stop me from playing.

RED LITE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Mark G. (again)

Repeating what some others have said: Thanks, Mark, for continuing with the Swanee. It is, and has been, a wonderful memorial to a great guy from San Diego. Those who make the tournament obviously enjoy it. Try to ignore the detractors.

RL

Str8 Shots

Kimberly Griffiths
Gold Member
Silver Member

Mark Griffin, CEO
CSI

Mark Griffin, CEO
CSI

imissedthe9 said:

I agree with you 100%. We have heard this same complaint many times over the last several weeks and it does want to make you throw in the towel.

Maybe this will help people understand why it is getting harder and harder to find rooms that will open up their doors.

The room we are doing the Nick Varner event out of is packed Friday and Saturday nights. Pretty much from 7pm until 2am. They have 9 - 9' tables. Each one of those tables is $5 an hour per person. 4 people playing on each table equates to $190.00 an hour, $1,330.00 per night or $2,660.00 for both nights. That doesn't begin to cover the revenue lost on the bar tables from tournaments that are held on Friday and Saturday at $1.00 a match.

It would be great if rooms could recoup the losses on the food and drink but for a place like Hard Times with a limited menu it is difficult.

When the room adds $4,000.00 to the event they are going into the weekend knowing they need to recoup that money.

$4,000.00 added - $1,920.00 green fees = $2,080.00 Loss
Then take the loss of revenue off the tables.
$2,660.00 9' tables + $960.00 (lowball estimate of loss on bar tables) = $3,620.00

So before anyone hits a ball the room is in it for $5,700.00. Do you all really think that 200 people are spending roughly $30.00 each while they are in the room just so they can break even?

When you get outside sponsorship for an event, even if they are only using their employees to handle registrations, they are taking a loss. For CSI to take a $3.00 registration fee is cheap. Most of that money goes for credit card processing fees. If they are lucky there is $.40 left from each $3.00. I don’t know about CSI but I can tell you my employees don’t work for free. Every time one of the employees takes 5 minutes to answer a call about the event, they are being paid. If the employee is only paid minimum wage that call costs CSI $.70, for a loss of $.30.

Who is making money? The players!

Why do promoters want to walk away from events? People do not see the amount of money that is lost by doing these events and the complaining gets tiresome.

I might also mention that the other sponsors have no way to recoup their losses unless the people support those companies and that is the problem; people don’t support the companies that are putting up the money for these events.

Want to keep the Jay Swanson Memorial going? Buy a Magic Rack!

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
table time!

Once again just another person who is missing the whole point of this thread..........

It's the promoter's responsibility to RAISE the money to cover the cost of running the tournament. Be creative for a change hit the streets, make some calls, groom a few sponsors and of course have the fans do their part to cover the expenses of running the tournament.
It's damn difficult for a Full Time Professional Pool Player to earn a living and looking to the players to cover the expenses makes it that much harder to grow the sport.

And you missed or ignored the table time issue, - thousands of dollars - that the house loses before any money comes in.

There is an option, though. Have some imagination in recruiting sponsors other than just people in the pool business. When bowling was in its heyday, sponsors included clothing companies, travel services, restaurants, car dealers, pet supplies...you name it. Pool players wear clothes, eat at restaurants, etc., like everyone else!

Want to promote pool like bowling did? Get local TV stations to cover events. Send them videos of matches, trick shots, etc...they're always looking for local stuff for their sports shows. Send news items to newspapers and radio stations as well.

Here's an example. Back in the '60s I bowled in an annual match game tournament that ran for two weekends, culminating with eight finalists going head to head. Each finalist was sponsored by a local business, who paid a fee and furnished a shirt with advertising for each player, not just a stich-on logo, but an actual ad. The event was covered in the local paper and on TV.

Another. In 1964, when I published a bowling newsletter, I approached the local \TV station (there was only one!) with the idea of a match between the two top bowlers in the area. I was the sportscaster for the event...a one hour match. The station loved the idea and even surprised me by running two ads for my newsletter during the show!

I know matches between top pros are sometimes televised, but why limit it to them. I bowled on TV and was interviewed on sports shows even before I hit my stride as a bowler. Why limit TV coverage to pros? APA could easily afford to televise some of their big events. And I think seeing amateurs having success and winning money would attract many more to the game...

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope some of these guys that have been eliminated from Bonus Ball decide to enter the Swanee. Would be nice to see Earl and Corey at least.

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with you 100%. We have heard this same complaint many times over the last several weeks and it does want to make you throw in the towel.

Maybe this will help people understand why it is getting harder and harder to find rooms that will open up their doors.

The room we are doing the Nick Varner event out of is packed Friday and Saturday nights. Pretty much from 7pm until 2am. They have 9 - 9' tables. Each one of those tables is $5 an hour per person. 4 people playing on each table equates to $190.00 an hour, $1,330.00 per night or $2,660.00 for both nights. That doesn't begin to cover the revenue lost on the bar tables from tournaments that are held on Friday and Saturday at $1.00 a match.

It would be great if rooms could recoup the losses on the food and drink but for a place like Hard Times with a limited menu it is difficult.

When the room adds $4,000.00 to the event they are going into the weekend knowing they need to recoup that money.

$4,000.00 added - $1,920.00 green fees = $2,080.00 Loss
Then take the loss of revenue off the tables.
$2,660.00 9' tables + $960.00 (lowball estimate of loss on bar tables) = $3,620.00

So before anyone hits a ball the room is in it for $5,700.00. Do you all really think that 200 people are spending roughly $30.00 each while they are in the room just so they can break even?

When you get outside sponsorship for an event, even if they are only using their employees to handle registrations, they are taking a loss. For CSI to take a $3.00 registration fee is cheap. Most of that money goes for credit card processing fees. If they are lucky there is $.40 left from each $3.00. I don’t know about CSI but I can tell you my employees don’t work for free. Every time one of the employees takes 5 minutes to answer a call about the event, they are being paid. If the employee is only paid minimum wage that call costs CSI $.70, for a loss of $.30.

Who is making money? The players!

Why do promoters want to walk away from events? People do not see the amount of money that is lost by doing these events and the complaining gets tiresome.

I might also mention that the other sponsors have no way to recoup their losses unless the people support those companies and that is the problem; people don’t support the companies that are putting up the money for these events.

Want to keep the Jay Swanson Memorial going? Buy a Magic Rack!

very well put, and I stand corrected. This weekend is going to be fun.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Swanee

Jmurphy suggests paying 24 places.
That comes out to 1/8 of the field (12.5%).

We pay 25% (48 places). Everybody who plays on 2nd day gets paid.
I don't think any pool event pays only 1/8 of the field.

Mark Griffin

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And you missed or ignored the table time issue, - thousands of dollars - that the house loses before any money comes in.

There is an option, though. Have some imagination in recruiting sponsors other than just people in the pool business. When bowling was in its heyday, sponsors included clothing companies, travel services, restaurants, car dealers, pet supplies...you name it. Pool players wear clothes, eat at restaurants, etc., like everyone else!

Want to promote pool like bowling did? Get local TV stations to cover events. Send them videos of matches, trick shots, etc...they're always looking for local stuff for their sports shows. Send news items to newspapers and radio stations as well.

Here's an example. Back in the '60s I bowled in an annual match game tournament that ran for two weekends, culminating with eight finalists going head to head. Each finalist was sponsored by a local business, who paid a fee and furnished a shirt with advertising for each player, not just a stich-on logo, but an actual ad. The event was covered in the local paper and on TV.

Another. In 1964, when I published a bowling newsletter, I approached the local \TV station (there was only one!) with the idea of a match between the two top bowlers in the area. I was the sportscaster for the event...a one hour match. The station loved the idea and even surprised me by running two ads for my newsletter during the show!

I know matches between top pros are sometimes televised, but why limit it to them. I bowled on TV and was interviewed on sports shows even before I hit my stride as a bowler. Why limit TV coverage to pros? APA could easily afford to televise some of their big events. And I think seeing amateurs having success and winning money would attract many more to the game...

again, how is the sponsor going to get their money back, they won`t.

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jmurphy suggests paying 24 places.
That comes out to 1/8 of the field (12.5%).

We pay 25% (48 places). Everybody who plays on 2nd day gets paid.
I don't think any pool event pays only 1/8 of the field.

Mark Griffin

if they do, they will lose players quickly