Jesse Bowman v Dennis Orcollo 1 game of 8 ball 5k

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I can't get this to play. Can you check it. It would be interesting to see!
The video is and has been working fine for me and I presume everyone else since nobody else has said anything. You might try clearing your cache and rebooting your computer/phone, that will sometimes solve problems like you are having. Another thing you can try is going to the video from this page where it is the most recent video posted and see if it plays that way.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I thought this was pretty instructive.

My first thought, and that of the commentators, was that Dennis would have to shoot the wired 15-2 combo in the top right corner (legal as it is an open table). Dennis looked at this but there was a concern. He'd be moving other balls. If he hit it too full the 15 could creep down and tie up the 1 ball. If he cut it enough to ensure that didn't happen he'd be moving the other two stripes a bit. What if one of them floated over towards the left hand side rail and blocked the pocket for the 5 or the 8 ball? Either of those could be a game loser.

Instead he opted for a much harder opening shot, threaded his way down to shoot the one ball and use that to break the 15-2 cluster. That way he only moved the balls that were tied up, and he only had to nudge them a little bit with control. It was a little harder to execute but put his destiny in his own hands. He absolutely took what the table gave him here.

I was a little surprised with how he broke out the 15-2. He almost got hooked and left himself a testy shot anyway. It seemed like the move would have been to use a bit lower on the cue ball and try to hit the 15 ball, leaving himself the 2 in the corner or the 6 in the side. But after watching it a few times it seems like he was totally fine with what he did. He just wanted to pop them open and figured he'd be ok. It was close but he was.

Anyway, it's funny what happens when you need the win. Too often we shrug and just start blasting, but when you really need the win sometimes you're willing to accept a bit more adversity to avoid taking wild risks. I think this lesson is one we could all learn from in terms of taking what the table gives us.