Jimmy Reid Just how Good was he..?

Robertduke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just wandering for the people that seen him play in his prime. How good was he..? From his videos sounds like he was pretty stout..?
 
To know Jimmy Reid is to love him, and he can play pool, all games. He's an American road warrior. He did win the U.S. Open in the mid '80s, but I'm too tired to look up the year.

Jimmy Reid not only can play pool, but he happens to be extremely intelligent. I don't mean the book-read kind of intelligence, but the hard drive in his brain is a little larger than most folk. He made a perfect score on the SATs when he was a young lad, which is pretty remarkable. I have found this an interesting character trait shared by MANY pool champions I have met in my lifetime, their ability to absorb knowledge and turn it into wisdom. Their eyes actually do look at heights beyond my gaze when it comes to pool.

One thing about Jimmy Reid when he was in the joint, if there was any action going on, he could sniff it out and make things happen. He utilizes textbook mechanics on the table, and because he practices good fundamentals, he can spot another player's weakness when he's sitting on the rail. I know that Keith McCready attributes a great deal of his skills set learning from Jimmy Reid when he was growing up.

Jimmy Reid likes positive thinkers, and as such, he's practices what he preaches. To be with Jimmy in a conversation is a joy. His giggle of a laugh is infectious, and he's very funny, witty, and a damn nice guy.

JAM
 
Jimmy won the 1985 US OPEN 9 ball tourney. I think he has a World title in 8 Ball, and One Pocket as well.

He was trying to explain all of these various diamond systems on his home table one night and it was a lot to absorb. After doing so I asked him why he never became a Doctor or Engineer. He said that was no fun. Smart, smart guy and champion. Real "positive" person as well. I hope he is getting healthy.
 
Robertduke said:
Lets hear some stories..

One evening, Keith and Jimmy were hanging out in this pool bar somewhere in the deep South. It was during the time when action was prevalent, and Keith, of course, was busy as a beaver, grinding it out on the bar boxes. ;)

Jimmy Reid is a very nice-looking man. When he was younger, they used to call him "Hippy Jimmy" because of his long hair, and apparently, from what I have been told, he was quite the lady's man -- eye candy, I guess, some would say. :p

Meanwhile, back to Keith, he's involved in this high-stakes match. Jimmy and him were partners on the money. So, of course, Jimmy had a keen interest to sweat the match from the rail, which happened to be at the bar. :cool:

Up walks this beautiful lady who plops herself right next to Jimmy. Though his eyes were glued to Keith's table, she did command a second look. All of a sudden, this stranger lady asks Jimmy if she could buy him a drink. What a paradise this pool joint turned into for Jimmy -- beautiful women, fine spirits, good cheer, and action. :)

Within 5 minutes, this big biker-looking fellow walks up to Jimmy and asks him, "What are you doing with my old lady?" Jimmy didn't recognize the anger in this biker's eyes, and before he could respond, the biker takes a glass beer mug and slams Jimmy Reid on the side of his face as hard as he could. :eek:

Well, Keith stops his game and immediately walks over to the bar where all of this was happening, and the blood was spouting out of Jimmy's face. I'm not sure what Keith, weighing in at about 130 pounds at that time, would have done, but he still came over by Jimmy's side and prepared for the worst. :(

Keith said he will NEVER forget what Jimmy did next. After this guy cold-cocked Jimmy with a a beer mug, instead of running for cover, Jimmy jumped up and took a stance like a professional boxer. Keith said his eyes were on fire. Jimmy, without hesitation, threw out a right hook on the biker guy's head and knocked him out cold with one punch. When he hit the floor, there was a loud thump. Everybody stood still, frozen in fear for what would happen next.

Jimmy then told Keith to go back and finish up his game and then resumed his seat at the bar. Nobody said a word to him. Keith was kind of rattled, but he didn't let it stop him from getting the cheese. :p

JAM
 
You want to know Jimmy's "old" rules for keeping a girlfriend?

He would put an orange and a 5 ball on the dresser. As soon as she could tell the difference she was gone. Jimmy was a player!
 
Let's just say for now, Jimmy was the real deal. He could tee it up with the best of them. And he terrorized many ring games with grade A talent.

We spent a year or two on the road off and on, traveling the Western circuit. I'll tell you a few road stories later. Suffice to say, we always came home with the money, and then I had to fight him to keep my share.
 
I have a pic of a beautiful cue Mike Johnson built for him. Will try and post it later.
 
Hippie Jimmy Reid

I know him since he was 15. Jimmy was a fearless, talented, funny, stubborn, proud top player. If you beat him you could break him. But he was very hard to beat. He and I quit playing each other early on. I didnt like how hard he tried. His best game was probably ten ball or pay ball. He loved shooting at hard shots. He is very, very sick, but somehow he is still hanging in there. He played good enough to be deserving in the Hall of Fame. He would have busted a few of those already in. Get well, kid.

the Beard
 
I love Jimmy Reid's tapes and his website with all the systems it's mind boggling but great. He is my age and I hope he gets well, but what is his problem?
 
Back
Top