Joe Rogan / Fedor Gorst

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Agreed..but doubt it would ever happen. Rogan not wanting to take the pay cut and Emily wanting her Brit commentators.
Why bother doing it for Matchroom? No doubt Joe Rogan could commentate any other event. And even establish his own (like Manny Pacquiao did several times in the Philippines).

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why bother doing it for Matchroom? No doubt Joe Rogan could commentate any other event. And even establish his own (like Manny Pacquiao did several times in the Philippines).
Wasn't Joe expressing the desire to commentate a PRIVATE match between Fedor and another pro? I don't think he expressed any desire to commentate a Matchroom event.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Wasn't Joe expressing the desire to commentate a PRIVATE match between Fedor and another pro? I don't think he expressed any desire to commentate a Matchroom event.
See the quoted message I was replying to, I'm not the one doing the "MR assumption" ;)

Bahgs

Just watched it. I think Fedor came off really well. Any involvement from Joe will undoubtedly further the sport and should be welcomed. Fedor was humble and well-spoken throughout, which shows extreme poise and maturity at 22. My favorite moment was towards the end when Joe zoned in on the “best in the world” argument and Fedor says “who knows, maybe I already am.”

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Finally watched the entire match. If Joe Rogan did what he is talking about, it would be amazing for pool. Also thoroughly enjoyed the insight given on Fedor...I sure wouldn't argue with him when he said that he might be the best in the world right now. Then the teaser...Fedor, a USA citizen?

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed..but doubt it would ever happen. Rogan not wanting to take the pay cut and Emily wanting her Brit commentators.
I DM’d Joe to produce it since I’ve won awards for film direction and can make a ball. I’m sure 100s of others messaged him as well : ) It doesn’t need to be a matchroom event, we could build a project from scratch.

bob c

In the Eye of the Storm
Silver Member
Joe needs to come out to Derby City classic so he doesn’t ask such silly questions about playing on the boat! Plus another half dozen things that are a little off base.

But pretty cool interview!
I was a little surprised that Joe was not familiar with Evgeny Stalev who was one of the very first Russian players to compete internationally at a very high level. You can watch him run 226 balls on YouTube:

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have not heard the entire video but did watch about ten minutes of the YouTube clip. I got to say, Joe needs someone like Keith McCready or Danny Diliberto on to talk about the drug use and back room gambling matches. And I only say that because Gorst is only 22 and he sounded like he was a bit lost with what Joe was talking about. And that's mainly from growing up with coaches and trainings whereas that generation Joe was talking about grew up in the dingy pool rooms everyone in the mainstream associates pool with.

Also, I would love to see Mike Sigel on the podcast. Now that would be entertainment.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have not heard the entire video but did watch about ten minutes of the YouTube clip. I got to say, Joe needs someone like Keith McCready or Danny Diliberto on to talk about the drug use and back room gambling matches. And I only say that because Gorst is only 22 and he sounded like he was a bit lost with what Joe was talking about. And that's mainly from growing up with coaches and trainings whereas that generation Joe was talking about grew up in the dingy pool rooms everyone in the mainstream associates pool with.

Also, I would love to see Mike Sigel on the podcast. Now that would be entertainment.
Dr. Bill is the man for the job

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I enjoyed the podcast. Joe is certainly knowledgeable about pool both firsthand and just by keeping tabs and he demonstrates it through the interview. I greatly appreciate that he took the time to give pool some attention.

I respect that Joe has a non-pool audience and needed to bring the conversation down to a layman’s perspective. Yet I still felt like much of the conversation was something I could have had with him 1:1 too. He easily establishes his street cred as a knowledgeable fan and a minor nitpick is that he might have geeked out with his own experiences to a degree that didn’t make the most out of eliciting Fedor’s experiences. Hard to say because Fedor held himself with class and stayed within the flow of conversation but clearly wasn’t as extroverted or motivated to present a whitewashed version of pool purely for marketing and image purposes.

I know some people lament the amount of focus on the seedier side of pool. That doesn’t bother me. Pool has many sides: tournament vs. action vs. league, pro vs. amateur, 1P vs. 9b vs. 10b vs. 8b vs. banks vs. 14.1, ballrooms vs. pool halls vs. bars vs. homes, TV vs. streams, players vs. events vs. promoters vs. influencers, etc. I celebrate a holistic and true representation of all of it.

Joe did focus more on the character-driven underbelly but that has its own appeal too. Not for everyone, but it was Joe’s podcast and his conversation to have. There could have been more talk about how Matchroom and Predator are making ground on improving the state of pool and that probably does help pool as a whole when you do. However nobody (other than Matchroom and Predator) has an obligation to focus exclusively on that cleaner side.

I’m heartened by his interest in participating in the industry. I’d love to hear him in the commentary booth for a Matchroom event. But I appreciate he has some ideas of his own he’d like to develop. It seems to me he likes the TAR format of two gunslingers settling where they land in the pecking order at high noon. Reminds me of MMA. I value that too and perhaps he can add more interest to that style of pool. My only hesitation is that I drank the Matchroom Kool Aid and don’t think that’s the best foot forward for the commercial side of pool which is the foundation I hope future professional pool is built upon.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
I find it disappointing that Earl wouldn’t don the podcast after Joe asked him on!! It says a lot for the respect that Joe has for Earl and Earl took it as a dog and not as what a comedic does which is imitate the ones they love.

Joe said it himself in this podcast that he doesn’t do great impressions of anyone but his Earl is to him the BEST work he has ever done!!

That in itself should humble Earl and take Joe up on his offer to have him on the podcast. The stories and the emotional rollercoaster that Earl is is something the world should see and hear. Not in a mocking way at all but to really dig deep into pool and Earls Pysch!!

Come on Earl you don’t have much time left and I’m sure Joe would take care of you and give you the respect and love for the game that you deserve!! Let’s get Earl on the Show!!!!
I think he is scared he would not be able to hold it together for the 2 hour segments!

Last thing pool needs is Earl going off on the show and Joe Rogan putting Earl in a full Nelson on the show!!!

Kd

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
It’s pretty amazing to see the recent exposure pool has gotten.

60 minutes. ESPN’s 30 for 30, and now Joe Rogan.

I think with a little patience, we have a lot to look forward to as pool fans.
Better question is pool ready? Lots of good things can come from this exposure.

But, will the peanut gallery ruin it?

Players have a notorious history when good things present themselves!

The scandals are too numerous! Plus, the streets love the sport more than craps.

Kd

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

They did touch on drug use a little bit. And some other seedier aspects of pool. But I don't think we should concentrate on those aspects. The non pool playing public already has that image of pool players. We need to concentrate on the better aspects at the moment. Especially since pool is getting a boost recently.

I'm not saying to close our eyes and ears on the subject. But let's not try to take a crap in the toilet before the plumbing is even hooked up.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I enjoyed the podcast. Joe is certainly knowledgeable about pool both firsthand and just by keeping tabs and he demonstrates it through the interview. I greatly appreciate that he took the time to give pool some attention.

I respect that Joe has a non-pool audience and needed to bring the conversation down to a layman’s perspective. Yet I still felt like much of the conversation was something I could have had with him 1:1 too. He easily establishes his street cred as a knowledgeable fan and a minor nitpick is that he might have geeked out with his own experiences to a degree that didn’t make the most out of eliciting Fedor’s experiences. Hard to say because Fedor held himself with class and stayed within the flow of conversation but clearly wasn’t as extroverted or motivated to present a whitewashed version of pool purely for marketing and image purposes.

I know some people lament the amount of focus on the seedier side of pool. That doesn’t bother me. Pool has many sides: tournament vs. action vs. league, pro vs. amateur, 1P vs. 9b vs. 10b vs. 8b vs. banks vs. 14.1, ballrooms vs. pool halls vs. bars vs. homes, TV vs. streams, players vs. events vs. promoters vs. influencers, etc. I celebrate a holistic and true representation of all of it.

Joe did focus more on the character-driven underbelly but that has its own appeal too. Not for everyone, but it was Joe’s podcast and his conversation to have. There could have been more talk about how Matchroom and Predator are making ground on improving the state of pool and that probably does help pool as a whole when you do. However nobody (other than Matchroom and Predator) has an obligation to focus exclusively on that cleaner side.

I’m heartened by his interest in participating in the industry. I’d love to hear him in the commentary booth for a Matchroom event. But I appreciate he has some ideas of his own he’d like to develop. It seems to me he likes the TAR format of two gunslingers settling where they land in the pecking order at high noon. Reminds me of MMA. I value that too and perhaps he can add more interest to that style of pool. My only hesitation is that I drank the Matchroom Kool Aid and don’t think that’s the best foot forward for the commercial side of pool which is the foundation I hope future professional pool is built upon.

i can definitely see well organized, 1-on-1 matches with rogan at the mic as a complement to the tournament scene. just as millions watch venom shoots trickshots, this may spill over to a general interest to the sport and also to the main tour(s).

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i can definitely see well organized, 1-on-1 matches with rogan at the mic as a complement to the tournament scene. just as millions watch venom shoots trickshots, this may spill over to a general interest to the sport and also to the main tour(s).
Given I drank the MR Kool Aid, that wouldn’t be my top priority to employ an asset like Rogan. But I must recognize he’s his own person with his own priorities. Also I’m still a fan of the 1-on-1 matches and completely agree he would add value to that format in a manner that may benefit pool as a whole.

Nick8400

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Better question is pool ready? Lots of good things can come from this exposure.

But, will the peanut gallery ruin it?

Players have a notorious history when good things present themselves!

The scandals are too numerous! Plus, the streets love the sport more than craps.

Kd

I think the players of the future are a bit more business prone these days.

Sponsors. Matchroom’s amazing production. Players starting YouTube channels. Stream/ppv matches. I am already watching more pool than I could ever imagine. I grew up waiting for sudden death 7-ball at the Mohegan Sun to be televised on ESPN. Woof, those were the days. There are just a lot more ways to make money with pool than ever.

All sports have their scandals. And criminals. And shadiness. This isn’t unique to pool. Hopefully professional players will make enough money to keep it clean at the professional level.

I think things are headed in the right direction.