John Schmidt compliments Jayson and the 714 run

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
john had tried a heater under his table according to his own statements. However, I don't think the heater suited him as it wasn't a heated table, just a heater under it that would probably lead to uneven heat. Might have something to do with that crazy roll of a cue ball that ended one of his promising earlier runs.

practice tables for respective team in the mosconi cup use makeshift heaters to better simulate the very lighted tv tables

pw98

Registered
Not sure the table being heated would be any advantage at all. Aren't 3 cushion tables heated for speed? These guys (Both JS's) are already playing on 760. Any faster than that, and I think it starts getting more difficult, not less.
It would be an advantage. How much depends upon the location of the table, the time of the year, and the weather outside. In virginia at this time of year I suspect the advantage would be minimal because the heat is on all the time and the tables really get dry on their own. That is unless the building has a boiler in which case the air will not be dried out and heated table would be supreme. Of course in a crowded pool room the humidity seems to rise even with conventional heating so it might be a huge advantage afterall. A big dehumidifier also would help in these cases.

Basically I think that heated table would be huge advantage in every case except for an empty room in a wooden building without radiating heat on a non ground floor in the middle of winter in the northeast. The bed is super dry on such tables and backspin simply stays on the ball much longer with minimal effort on a super dry table.

As for the surface of the balls and their tendency to cling in humidity i dont know how the heated table would affect this.

The question is that I never have heard brought up much is mosconis run took place march 19-20th in ohio. This coresponds to appoximately the first day of spring that year.

According to this data the high was 55F on the 19th with .75" of rain and 44F on the 20th with no rain.

From my experience of playing pool in Ohio the 19th and probably the 20th as well would not have been good days to play pool even with the heating because of that rain. We don't know for sure if Springfield, which is very close to Dayton was spared the rain. I do know tables in Ohio don't play as dry with 55F outside compared to the middle of winter with say 20F outside regardless of rain or not.

In this weather there is no way the AC was on. From this data it sounds as if it was not a good time to be playing pool in Springfield OH the day Mosconi ran 526 balls.

Fast forward to now we have rumors of heated tables for both JS and JS, god knows if they are true or not. There is no question that new Simonis 760 plays better under humidity than whatever cloth mosconis run was made under.

I guess we will probably never know because the powers that be won't release the table specs for JS and JS but it sure seems like they had better atmospheric conditions than mosconi: Whether or not theirs were artificial (heated bed) or not.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
It would be an advantage. How much depends upon the location of the table, the time of the year, and the weather outside. In virginia at this time of year I suspect the advantage would be minimal because the heat is on all the time and the tables really get dry on their own. That is unless the building has a boiler in which case the air will not be dried out and heated table would be supreme. Of course in a crowded pool room the humidity seems to rise even with conventional heating so it might be a huge advantage afterall. A big dehumidifier also would help in these cases.

Basically I think that heated table would be huge advantage in every case except for an empty room in a wooden building without radiating heat on a non ground floor in the middle of winter in the northeast. The bed is super dry on such tables and backspin simply stays on the ball much longer with minimal effort on a super dry table.

As for the surface of the balls and their tendency to cling in humidity i dont know how the heated table would affect this.

The question is that I never have heard brought up much is mosconis run took place march 19-20th in ohio. This coresponds to appoximately the first day of spring that year.

According to this data the high was 55F on the 19th with .75" of rain and 44F on the 20th with no rain.

From my experience of playing pool in Ohio the 19th and probably the 20th as well would not have been good days to play pool even with the heating because of that rain. We don't know for sure if Springfield, which is very close to Dayton was spared the rain. I do know tables in Ohio don't play as dry with 55F outside compared to the middle of winter with say 20F outside regardless of rain or not.

In this weather there is no way the AC was on. From this data it sounds as if it was not a good time to be playing pool in Springfield OH the day Mosconi ran 526 balls.

Fast forward to now we have rumors of heated tables for both JS and JS, god knows if they are true or not. There is no question that new Simonis 760 plays better under humidity than whatever cloth mosconis run was made under.

I guess we will probably never know because the powers that be won't release the table specs for JS and JS but it sure seems like they had better atmospheric conditions than mosconi: Whether or not theirs were artificial (heated bed) or not.
Well, yes, heating is an advantage under certain conditions. But the rather most important thing about heating the table is that it will play closer to the same, no matter how the climate in the room is. This is especially important with high wool content cloths, which is why match snooker tables used on tv are heated. The effects are apparent in pool and billiards cloths as well, adding roll and increasing spin, as well as keeping the cushions playing right. In my opinion it's silly to characterize this as cheating in any way. Just because some of you play pool in poorly airconditioned rooms in extreme climates, does not mean that other people have a duty to replicate those conditions. For world record attempts and playing on tv, the players are not supposed to put up with terrible conditions. Many matches played on tv have extra lighting, which in some cases do the job of heating the table without a source under the table.

Heating the table makes sense for everyone, except those playing in desert heat without ac. It's usually not done, because it adds expense, not because it makes the game too easy. Had it been cheap to have heated tables, it would have been the standard ages ago. Olympic arenas are made in a specific way to make the ground people run on consistent in texture and friction. They're not forced to run on natural dirt, which either becomes dusty or muddy when the weather changes. When, oh when, are pool players going to stop insisting on making our game as poor and terrible as humanly possible? Why can't we ever have nice things?

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You both make good points but I still think you're very close to the point of diminishing returns if you heat the Legends table. At some point, a table can become too fast. As a table gets faster, a minor cueing speed error becomes a major cue ball position error. I get a heated table can play more consistent, but it's not all positive. Pool players have cueing speeds they are accustomed to, and they are developed during years and years of play on unheated tables.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Heated tables will play most true under all circumstances. I believe that it will cause any cloth to play at the speed that a cloth was manufactured to play under perfect conditions. I think, for 14.1, the question may be will heated cloth under highly polished balls result in the very best separation of the balls- I think the answer is yes. I feel that all championship pool should be played under the very best conditions- they do that with every other sport - golf courses, baseball fields, bowling alleys, tennis courts, etc. etc.

Most of us will play better in the long run under ideal playing conditions.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes you are! No you aren't! Yes you are! No you aren't!

Brilliant argument Lou.

What you are actually doing is is called dissembling.

To fairly accuse me of that you’d have to know what I truly feel and think and you do not.

I’ve tried to be upfront about it but some folks, like you, prefer to believe in conspiracies.

Lou Figueroa
can’t help you

PoolPlayer4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To fairly accuse me of that you’d have to know what I truly feel and think and you do not.

I’ve tried to be upfront about it but some folks, like you, prefer to believe in conspiracies.

Lou Figueroa
can’t help you
A person can never know what another person truly thinks and feels. And the unknowable isn't required to form inferences and opinions. That's just more of your deflecting and dissembling.

One only need a plain reading of your own statements and actions bro. No supernatural knowledge of your soul required. No conspiracies required. It's obvious.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A person can never know what another person truly thinks and feels. And the unknowable isn't required to form inferences and opinions. That's just more of your deflecting and dissembling.

One only need a plain reading of your own statements and actions bro. No supernatural knowledge of your soul required. No conspiracies required. It's obvious.

Right: another cannot know what another truly thinks and feels which means that all you are left with is your *opinion* and not fact ;-)

And in this case it is a pretty uniformed opinion in that you cannot back it up. I’ve been online signing my name to my posts for 25 years, so if you’re going to accuse me of something please have the courtesy of backing it up with my past posts showing why you believe whatever it is you believe.

Lou Figueroa

PoolPlayer4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right: another cannot know what another truly thinks and feels which means that all you are left with is your *opinion* and not fact ;-)

And in this case it is a pretty uniformed opinion in that you cannot back it up. I’ve been online signing my name to my posts for 25 years, so if you’re going to accuse me of something please have the courtesy of backing it up with my past posts showing why you believe whatever it is you believe.

Lou Figueroa
"it is a pretty uniformed opinion in that you cannot back it up." Your posts on this subject have been quoted repeatedly in this thread. And I've read them many times before this thread.

"all you are left with is your *opinion* and not fact ;-)" As though this somehow diminishes or refutes it.

While you are dogged and relentless in your denials, it's all more deflection and dissembling.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
from what i can see and that is only me.

the high run attempts by all parties have been done with honesty and trying hard to be respected.
i commend them for that.

the big mistake both have made is that anytime you expect the public to recognize something as a record there is going to be lots of naysayers and thats normal. but you must be out front for all the people as many are on the line waiting to decide with the things needed to satisfy most of them.

you cant take it personal and become secretive trying to squash public opinion even if its not valid.

to have a record recognized all the conditions have to be relatively out in the open so all can analyze and make a decision. any attempt to hold back automatically casts a dispersion on your whole event which is exactly what is happening here.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"it is a pretty uniformed opinion in that you cannot back it up." Your posts on this subject have been quoted repeatedly in this thread. And I've read them many times before this thread.

"all you are left with is your *opinion* and not fact ;-)" As though this somehow diminishes or refutes it.

While you are dogged and relentless in your denials, it's all more deflection and dissembling.

Show me -- I mean really, the thread is only six pages long.

Lou Figueroa
should be easy peasy

PoolPlayer4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't do it can you, lol.

Lou Figueroa
no, no
that wasn't a question
"I mean really, the thread is only six pages long." Like the length of the thread has anything to do with your posts over the last several years. More deflection and dissembling.

You won't goad me into spending hours assembling all the posts that show what you're about. And others have done that already in multiple threads. To which you respond with more deflection and dissembling.

And, it wouldn't stop you from responding with contrived excuses that are more deflection and dissembling.

In fact, we could do this forever because you're never going to stop. And, your continual deflection and dissembling still doesn't change the obvious.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"I mean really, the thread is only six pages long." Like the length of the thread has anything to do with your posts over the last several years. More deflection and dissembling.

You won't goad me into spending hours assembling all the posts that show what you're about. And others have done that already in multiple threads. To which you respond with more deflection and dissembling.

And, it wouldn't stop you from responding with contrived excuses that are more deflection and dissembling.

In fact, we could do this forever because you're never going to stop. And, your continual deflection and dissembling still doesn't change the obvious.

You said, "Your posts on this subject have been quoted repeatedly in this thread. And I've read them many times before this thread."

So if all that is out there you should be able to easily come up with scads of incriminating posts, no? Especially if you're going to make libelous statements about me. Here, why don't we try this instead: I don't know why you, Pool Player4, have said so any bad things about John Schmidt. All you do is bad mouth him in numerous threads across this board. Now you're just trying to hide your true feelings by accusing others of making negative posts about him.

See, it's easy to make unsubstantiated accusations.

Anyway, you are just another anonymous troll (and a boring one at that) so I think I'm done with you.

Lou Figueroa