John Schmidt has beaten Mosconi

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes he does. He knows that 14.1 is a game of inches and so is this conversation, if modern day 14.1 fans give even one inch to the brutal attack, it may do harm to the YOUNGER crowds outlook on 14.1.

What is this brutal attack?

Putting this run and JS standing as a player into an accurate historical context is not any form of an attack. It is also not an attack to point out that playing in a room with ideal conditions, all by your lonesome, for months at a time, is not the same as competing at a tournament, on strange, tough equipment, against the best in the world.

Lastly it is certainly not an attack to point out that 14.1 is not just about running balls. It is also about safety play and strategy. It is one thing to always approach the table with the balls blasted wide open (or a break shot) and it is another to come to the table with the CB frozen to the Simonis far from the OBs and no shot and a title and/or money on the line.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The answer is there was much more pressure on John than Willie. John had a number to shoot to, 526 or better. I believe 768, but I'll accept 526. That was the number, or else it didn't matter.

Willie, on the other hand, one of the greatest, did exhibitions very well. The 526, I would have to feel, he didn't feel any pressure at all. After all, did he know what the previous record was? I doubt it. Think it might have been Cranfield's 420 on a 5 by 10 table, but not sure. It was basically practice to him, not pressure.

Some glued to the past may not accept this, but I think it's the perspective that occupied both minds, John and Willie.

I hear a few grinding their teeth...

All the best,
WW

You are imagining things.

Lou Figueroa
might want to have
your hearing checked :)

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the clarification, Lou. Being only 41 all of my knowledge about the man is second hand at best.

I do understand the constant struggle of old vs. new. The want to say you have watched the best ever. To some babe will always be the home run king, all you had to do was watch the man swing a bat. Others feel Mike trout is already the greatest to ever live. In between is just a bunch of wannabes LOL. Heck somehow Aaron Rodgers is the best qb to live in some eyes.

I certainly appreciate the input of people lucky enough to have first hand knowledge of all parties involved in the discussion as well as the necessary knowledge to know whether or not what they are seeing is actually great. Now that is a subjective thing but it is better than anecdotal "knowledge" and simple romanticism.

In a strict sense I feel that John's has to be held as the official record but I think it takes nothing away from what Willie did that night. I know 14.1 very well, but I cannot comment on who the greatest to ever live was because I simply lack the actual knowledge necessary to make that call.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

MitchDAZB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They're tough to come by, Stu.

The American 14.1 Straight Pool Championship is Oct. 22-26 (right before the International 9-Ball Open).

Anything else?

[No word on a Dragon "World" event this year.]
The European Championship ended earlier this month.

Feijen has 7 EC 14.1 titles (incl. 3 in a row), Ortmann has 5, Souquet 3 (in a row), van den Berg 3, Engert 3, with Immonen, Ouschan, Alcaide and Hohmann among those with 1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Pool_Championship

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Also, I strongly disagree that it's easier, not harder on an 8 x 4 table than on a 9 x 4 1/2, and I've played 14.1 on both. I've never heard anyone suggest that it was tougher on an eight footer until your post. Doesn't mean you're wrong, but not many see it your way. ...
I've played a lot of 14.1 on 8-footers. That was the only length readily available to me for about three years. It is a lot easier to play on an 8-foot table.

I asked Jimmy Caras in 1975 what he thought of the relative difficulty of the two sizes and he said that the only reason a top player would ever miss on the smaller table was because he got tired. Caras also came from a tradition that minimized movement of the cue ball and strove for millimeter-accurate position.

As for previous suggestions, Mike Shamos has said he thinks 8-foot tables are harder because of the crowding. Twice I've seen John Schmidt practicing 14.1 on a 7-foot table at the BCA Trade Show and both times he ran 180 balls within three or four tries. I don't think John finds the crowding a problem.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played a lot of 14.1 on 8-footers. That was the only length readily available to me for about three years. It is a lot easier to play on an 8-foot table.

I asked Jimmy Caras in 1975 what he thought of the relative difficulty of the two sizes and he said that the only reason a top player would ever miss on the smaller table was because he got tired. Caras also came from a tradition that minimized movement of the cue ball and strove for millimeter-accurate position.

As for previous suggestions, Mike Shamos has said he thinks 8-foot tables are harder because of the crowding. Twice I've seen John Schmidt practicing 14.1 on a 7-foot table at the BCA Trade Show and both times he ran 180 balls within three or four tries. I don't think John finds the crowding a problem.

I'm not in a league that's even close to your conversation but:

I've got an example that I feel is relevant. I've put as many as three racks (45 balls) on a 9' table.

With 45 balls on a 9' table, it makes the table "seem" smaller. I guess it's because there are more options "once the balls are scattered".....I dunno.

I've also played 14.1 on a 7', 8', pro 8, 9 and 10 foot table. To me, the 8' table played the easiest. The 7' table would be second. Pro 8 3rd, 9 4th and so on.

Opinions would probably change depending on players 14.1 experience.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the clarification, Lou. Being only 41 all of my knowledge about the man is second hand at best.

I do understand the constant struggle of old vs. new. The want to say you have watched the best ever. To some babe will always be the home run king, all you had to do was watch the man swing a bat. Others feel Mike trout is already the greatest to ever live. In between is just a bunch of wannabes LOL. Heck somehow Aaron Rodgers is the best qb to live in some eyes.

I certainly appreciate the input of people lucky enough to have first hand knowledge of all parties involved in the discussion as well as the necessary knowledge to know whether or not what they are seeing is actually great. Now that is a subjective thing but it is better than anecdotal "knowledge" and simple romanticism.

In a strict sense I feel that John's has to be held as the official record but I think it takes nothing away from what Willie did that night. I know 14.1 very well, but I cannot comment on who the greatest to ever live was because I simply lack the actual knowledge necessary to make that call.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

No problemo, erhino.

One udder thing occurred to me about the run: the times I saw Mosconi he played a match to 125 or 150. A match to 200 strikes me as a bit usual but would fit into the whole thing about him being friends with the owner and wanting to put up a good run.

But what happened was that Mosconi ran out the 200 and I think that since that was already a huge number that no one in the crowd had ever seen or even imagined possible, it then follows that they would naturally urge him to keep going. If he had run his usual 100, then there might not have been the same enthusiasm for him to keep going. Just a thought.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
No problemo, erhino.

One udder thing occurred to me about the run: the times I saw Mosconi he played a match to 125 or 150. A match to 200 strikes me as a bit usual but would fit into the whole thing about him being friends with the owner and wanting to put up a good run.

But what happened was that Mosconi ran out the 200 and I think that since that was already a huge number that no one in the crowd had ever seen or even imagined possible, it then follows that they would naturally urge him to keep going. If he had run his usual 100, then there might not have been the same enthusiasm for him to keep going. Just a thought.

Lou Figueroa

Wouldn't it have been nice for people back then to have done more in-depth interviews and had Willie's approval to put them down in writing. It seems like you cannot ever get enough information about any interesting thing in the past that is pool related. Many pool stories from the past come off like a dime novel....and that is sad.

Maniac

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I'm not in a league that's even close to your conversation but:

I've got an example that I feel is relevant. I've put as many as three racks (45 balls) on a 9' table.

With 45 balls on a 9' table, it makes the table "seem" smaller. I guess it's because there are more options "once the balls are scattered".....I dunno.

I've also played 14.1 on a 7', 8', pro 8, 9 and 10 foot table. To me, the 8' table played the easiest. The 7' table would be second. Pro 8 3rd, 9 4th and so on.

Opinions would probably change depending on players 14.1 experience.

There’s a limit either way....size wise for me....I wouldn’t want to play 14.1 on a 6x12...
...and once I was down south for a week....ate breakfast at the same place every day...
..they had a 3x6 coin-op...gave myself three tries to break’n’ run every day at 8-ball...
...couldn’t do it...not even once in 21 tries....way too crowded.

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just watched John's FB video.

My other post was before I even watched that.

All I can say is WOW!

You know what, its very weird that the top pros are chiming in and accepting the fact that John is the "current" .....High Run King but:

LOL...... a bunch of amatuers that have high runs from around 10ish to 150ish have issues with "what" he did, "how" he did it, hell, I had one person say something about......the "why" he did it. Just crazy is all I can say.

I've always liked John and I have said this before:

I respect John for other reasons than making balls go into a hole. The reasons I respect John is:

A good man.

A good pool player is easy to find. A good man, lol....in 2019??? are you serious? THATS why I respect him.

I admire and look up to him for the pool stuff. It shows just how hard he works.

Another thing:

ALL THE PROS HAD THE SAME CHANCE!

Like he said, I hope all the pros that now see the ...lol.........INCENTIVE ....imagine that? They said there was no incentive.

Yeah right. The incentive was there, it's just that most of them could not get there.

I hope John gets EVERYTHING he deserves for TAKING A CHANCE and doing what he has done.

Jeff

BTW:

Anyone that has not watched the vid, do it.
Amen -- very well said!!

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
table size

8' is by far easier than a 9'. It is a true hybrid, about as easy to pocket balls as a bar box but still much roomier. Crowding isn't an issue.

Even bar table is easier than 9'. I remember playing scotch doubles bar table straight pool as a warm up for a tournament and on our FIRST INNING we ran a 216. True story. I have practiced by myself on a bar table 3-4 times playing straight pool and find it hard not to run 70-80. I find it much easier to stall out on a big table.

To be fair, my position play and pattern play are my strengths, so take away the missed shots and I might never stop. Shot makers might enjoy the extra space more than the bigger pockets, but even still don't believe you'll find a top pro that would rather play on a bigger table if their life depending on putting up a big run.

This is one case where I think that speculation doesn't hold up. Players that aren't hundred ball runners that haven't actually tried to post up big numbers on different equipment are free to hypothesize, but among those of us that have this isn't a debate. It's a consensus.

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
No problemo, erhino.

Lou Figueroa
I'm thinking you ought to write a historical novel about Mosconi's run of 526, since you seem to have so much creative speculation about just how it went down lol :D:D

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Posted on AzB by John Schmidt in 2009:

"for the record i think 14.1 on the bartable is easier than 9ft.

you can reach allbreakballs,combos and shots are a joke etc.

yes its more confined space but with the cueball control ive learned from 14.1 thats the last thing im worried about.

for the record the easiest table to play 14.1 is a 4x8 .ive played on them all and its the easiest no doubt. enough room to play but still easier on shotmaking,reaching,combos than 9ft."

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm thinking you ought to write a historical novel about Mosconi's run of 526, since you seem to have so much creative speculation about just how it went down lol :D:D

Lou is trained to be "creative".

He used to be a Public Affairs Officer.

If the "story" wasn't to his, or his boss' liking, he "created" one that was.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Willie missed on 527.

There was another run, in his hotel room when he was warming up for a televised match with Fats. Charlie Ursetti was rack man and witness and said that after Willie broke the balls wide open -- with less than 14 balls to reach 600 -- Mosconi put down his cue and basically said: See. Running 600 balls isn't so tough.

Lou Figueroa

This may lend a little clarity. Though it may confuse things as well. Two articles. One, Willie ran 589. Not only less than 14, but less than a dozen from 600. Probably the event you're referring to, though unless you were there, I'm not sure how you'd know what Willie said, and why he quit just a bit before 600.

But then, in a second article, dated a bit later than the first, Willie claims a run of 609. John's run more than both, so nothing much to be made of this, but it backs up that even Willie broke Willie's record, maybe more than once, who knows. But I do like some documentation rather than members just arguing about who is right and who is imagining. Both articles do contain direct quotes, for those interested in history.

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• Mosconi Run 1.jpg
    Mosconi Run 1.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 255
  • Mosconi Run 2.jpg
    Mosconi Run 2.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 258

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wouldn't it have been nice for people back then to have done more in-depth interviews and had Willie's approval to put them down in writing. It seems like you cannot ever get enough information about any interesting thing in the past that is pool related. Many pool stories from the past come off like a dime novel....and that is sad.

Maniac

Yes, it would have.

However, several writers, such as Robert Byrne, R.A. Dyer, and Tom Fox have written about the by gone years in such detail. I highly recommend their works to anyone interested in the history of the game.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Exactly what have I been creative about?

The part about continuing from 200 was something I said was just a thought.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou is trained to be "creative".

He used to be a Public Affairs Officer.

If the "story" wasn't to his, or his boss' liking, he "created" one that was.

I have you on Ignore but a couple of friends informed me about another of your attacks about my service to our country.

I will, again, report your slur against my 20 years of service in the USAF to the administration here.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited: