John Schmidt's 626

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You need to thank ur wise Grandmother, xhasteytjx, not The Good Lord. u've chosen a losing situation. It's the Code of the West! Do it unto Others, before them Others can do it unto You. xiamunowhox
Good Lord, I love this guy!

Seriously clever and witty.

I just wish you weren’t so angry- but you’re clever, Uno- I’ll give you that.

Catch you in the next round Uno!

;) IKNOWWHO

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I'm just confused about why they did all that slate shaving, ball polishing, pocket widening, table heating, table end swapping, ball cleaning, a year away from home, special shoes, energy drinks and whatever else I missed if all they were going to do was fake the video.

Its almost like it makes no sense at all to a rational person. Can anyone clarify? Is it a fake video of a real run or a real video of a fake run.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm just confused about why they did all that slate shaving, ball polishing, pocket widening, table heating, table end swapping, ball cleaning, a year away from home, special shoes, energy drinks and whatever else I missed if all they were going to do was fake the video.

Its almost like it makes no sense at all to a rational person. Can anyone clarify? Is it a fake video of a real run or a real video of a fake run.

I think the question is not what the video shows. It's what the video doesn't show.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Can anyone clarify? Is it a fake video of a real run or a real video of a fake run.
Having nothing to stand on but my own level of boredom which provoked this post. ...but since the beginning I though it was a video of a practice run (loose adherence to fouls) that turned into an "official solo exhibition" run once he realized he was on a potential record breaking streak. So I guess I stand on the side of a real video of a fake run...?

I mean if we were to apply actual logic to the while situation. If you were planning on actually beating a record and videoing it for sake of proof. Why on earth would you use such a bad camera angles...? <<<--Pretty sure I read somewhere in this thread that the table was blocked by the racker and John during shots.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
Nice summary! Reminds me of this scenario.

7c687debe61f4b5aca1f1465811bbd05.jpg

If you haven't seen the movie, here's the snippet:

-td

Having nothing to stand on but my own level of boredom which provoked this post. ...but since the beginning I though it was a video of a practice run (loose adherence to fouls) that turned into an "official solo exhibition" run once he realized he was on a potential record breaking streak. So I guess I stand on the side of a real video of a fake run...?

I mean if we were to apply actual logic to the while situation. If you were planning on actually beating a record and videoing it for sake of proof. Why on earth would you use such a bad camera angles...? <<<--Pretty sure I read somewhere in this thread that the table was blocked by the racker and John during shots.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
a practice run (loose adherence to fouls) that turned into an "official solo exhibition" run once he realized he was on a potential record breaking streak. So I guess I stand on the side of a real video of a fake run...?
Is that more or less official than an unfilmed exhibition match that turned into an unplanned solo exhibition that became a record attempt??

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank the good Lord you agree with yourself.

If not, that would be a real tragedy.

This above all: to thine own self be true

😉 unowho
They’re good at having a conversation with themselves. It’s probably a little cathartic.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I rarely tape my practice sessions.

But a few years ago I had a camera rolling and caught a 100 ball run on video. And I was proud to post it up on YouTube. Especially because it was a "clean" run. The table was reasonably tough, there were no fouls or circus shots. Just a good clean run.

The only reason I would not have posted it would have been: embarrassingly easy pockets, fouls committed during the run, I frequently cleaned the balls and/or table, or I had to save the run with some circus shots. I would be too embarrassed to post something like that up.

Lou Figueroa

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

But a few years ago I had a camera rolling and caught a 100 ball run on video. And I was proud to post it up on YouTube. Especially because it was a "clean" run. The table was reasonably tough, there were no fouls or circus shots. Just a good clean run.

The only reason I would not have posted it would have been: embarrassingly easy pockets, fouls committed during the run, I frequently cleaned the balls and/or table, or I had to save the run with some circus shots. I would be too embarrassed to post something like that up.

Lou Figueroa
Nice post, with a logical premise- unlike my good friend Uno.

To be fair, I don’t think the JS run was a “practice session”. It was a deliberate series of attempts at a historic run.

Secondly- the fact another person not doing what you would do doesn’t necessarily negate their achievement.

I totally respect your input, but let’s not judge others by WWLD (What Would Lou Do).

Uno?

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
Let’s see a link. That’s a nice run to catch on video, anyone who can run that many is in another league. When I was just starting out I used to watch the owner of the room I played in and Tommy Kennedy each do 100 ball runs. I think it helped me get hooked on pool.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let’s see a link. That’s a nice run to catch on video, anyone who can run that many is in another league. When I was just starting out I used to watch the owner of the room I played in and Tommy Kennedy each do 100 ball runs. I think it helped me get hooked on pool.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
Wow, thanks for posting this video and I enjoyed watching it. (It is raining like cats and dogs, so I got the time) No wonder you did so well in your 10K match, great shooting.

However, I think now I am even more understanding why JS isn't releasing his video for general public consumption.

I don't quite remember which rack it was,,, maybe the 4th or so,,, but at 19:30 you make a great shot on the 12 ball (I think) in the side and go 3 rails to get a bit low for position on your key ball (the 6 ball). Leaving a difficult path to get on the break ball (the 5 ball)

You make a great shot on the key ball and go another 3 rails for great position on the break ball.

The weird part is that at 20:04 the video appears to have a hiccup, and you magically pop into the frame.

Disclaimer: I don't think you chopped the video and it is on the up and up. Great run.

Even though the video seems to start and stop, those 3 balls on the table don't move a micron. It would be really, really difficult to stop the video- put the balls back in the exact same spot, and start the video again.

Clearly, something just got hung up either on youtube, your camera, or something simple like that.

However, pretend you were on a run above 526 and we all saw that.

The peanut gallery, and we all know who they are,, would be all over your ass for producing an altered video and would say your run didn't count.

This leads me to a new thought: I don't blame JS a bit for not releasing a video- people with nothing better to do (yes, like me) would go through it second by second and very possibly cry foul about something they think they see.

Again, thanks for posting that- I enjoy seeing mere mortals shoot lights out a bit more than watching the Gods do it.

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Is that more or less official than an unfilmed exhibition match that turned into an unplanned solo exhibition that became a record attempt??
yes....... ...see I can reply with comment that also doesn't make sense...lol.

Are you claiming that Mosconi wasn't playing against an opponent...? I thought he was, so that means he was simply continuing his turn at the table and it was never became a "solo exhibition" like Schmidt's did, (once it became necessary to obtain the record).

dance puppets....lol

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the compliment.

And yes, I noticed the video hiccup when I watched it the first time. I think there are a couple more.

I remember looking into it at the time and there’s a technical explanation for it, which I don’t completely remember, but basically the way some HD cameras record is to store video in 20 minute increments. So you’ll see that effect on many videos at around every 20 minutes.

Lou Figueroa

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
I always include a couple circus shots just to entertain my many fans.

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the compliment.

And yes, I noticed the video hiccup when I watched it the first time. I think there are a couple more.

I remember looking into it at the time and there’s a technical explanation for it, which I don’t completely remember, but basically the way some HD cameras record is to store video in 20 minute increments. So you’ll see that effect on many videos.

Lou Figueroa

I wasn't necessarily trying to figure out why you pop in and out of the video.

My point was the unintended consequence of releasing it publicly and letting every schmuck like me pick it apart and question it (even though I am not).

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Are you claiming that Mosconi wasn't playing against an opponent...?

How could me calling it an exhibition MATCH lead you to conclude such a thing? Is there such a thing as a match without an opponent in 14.1?

I thought he was, so that means he was simply continuing his turn at the table and it was never became a "solo exhibition"

I don't know the answer, my post was a question, not a declaration. Wouldn't some of the pool world suggest that once Mr. Mosconi hit the number(100, 150, ??...I don't recall what the MATCH was played to), at that point the match was over? Did the opponent unscrew his cue? I have no idea but it seems at least as reasonable a question to ask as some of the spitballing going on here.

...see I can reply with comment that also doesn't make sense...

Don't beat yourself up, I'm sure you did your best.

dance puppets....lol

Good night uno

Nothing I wrote then or now suggests I doubt that the man made 526 balls in a row. If you want to argue that you'll have to find someone else.

Last edited: