One of Danny’s famous lines.....
...”If you knew what you didn’t know, you wouldn’t not know it.”

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a bump for this match. Ervolino vs. Strickland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW_v0a2X1aU

Good commentary for the most part.

Bob - The shot at 59:00 - foul? Looked like it, to me. That seemed to be the consensus of the commentators, although they debated it for a while. One consideration: despite the belief of the commentators, I’m not sure that the CB is frozen. Maybe it was. Just not possible to be sure of that, when viewing the video.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob - The shot at 59:00 - foul? Looked like it, to me. That seemed to be the consensus of the commentators, although they debated it for a while. One consideration: despite the belief of the commentators, I’m not sure that the CB is frozen. Maybe it was. Just not possible to be sure of that, when viewing the video.
Maybe the cue ball was frozen. It has to be declared. I didn't notice the ref (who was not always on top of things), inspect the the pair. Further, if the cue ball is frozen another ball is nearby and you have to avoid hitting the cue ball again after that third ball gets involved.

But Grady had a special rule for that event so you shouldn't try to apply the current rules to that shot.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
First time in NYC...still didn’t have to shave...
..standing in the mezzanine of Ames’ just a little while before the building got demolished.
...looking straight down on a carom table on the main floor....
...watching Johnny Ervolino play 3-C...I can still hear his distinctive voice.

And the guy at the circular check-out counter hearing one more sob story...saying...
...:Aint no pity in the City...aint no pity in the City.”

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The captions on those Ervolino/Strickland links say 1990, but it was actually a match at The Maine Event at Spot Shot Billiards in Portland, Maine in September 1995.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Some good footage here. Ervolino was a great scholar of the game of straight pool, and this is footage of Johnny more than ten years past his playing prime. Here's what Grady Matthews, another gone but not forgotten legend of the game, had to say on AZB on the occasion of Johnny's death in 2005.

I always liked and respected Johnny, as a longtime friend and peer. We understood each other although we could not have had more contrasting backgrounds. His knowledge of the game was perhaps unequaled. This I would sometimes find out the hard way when he was my opponent. I never witnessed better straight pool patterns than his.

Enough said.

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not the cue, it's the stroke. It's always the stroke.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I frequented Paddy's 7-11 in the early 1960's and observed Ervolino with his ever present sidekick, Brooklyn Jimmy.
Johnny was always sharp looking, Jimmy not so much, with the Racing Form sticking out of his back pocket.
Jimmy would try to line up the backers and the match-ups for Johnny.

Ervolino was considered the best straight pool player at the 7-11, but he had to give weight to just about everybody for serious cash.
If he won, after the backer gave Johnny his cut, Brooklyn Jimmy would be begging him to leave the 7-11 and head over to Aqueduct to play the horses.
Usually, they would be back at Paddy's the next night trying to do it all over again.
They needed each other, Johnny and Jimmy. But Aqueduct was the eventual winner.

Johnny "went away" for a few years...I think it was for some credit card scheme or B&E...not sure.
I saw him about 15 years later playing straight pool for $100 a game with Bob The Artist at the Golden Cue in Queens.
Johhny's gravelly voice was unmistakable, but he had aged considerably.
The dapper Ervolino was only a shadow of his former self.
But that delicate stroke, just gently moving whitey, was still alive and well.