Jose Amang Parica: An Interesting Read

AnitoKid

And I kid you not!
Silver Member
JoseAmangParica.jpg


A number of Filipino pool players are in the Derby City Classic right now. Among the notable figures is Jose Amang Parica who beat Niels Feijen. Amang Parica currently resides in the US. Was just wondering if anyone here has played with/against Amang.

And oh! Here's an interesting read I just found on Jose Amang Parica Jr., who initiated The Filipino Invasion. The article was written by my kabayan, Val. G. Abelgas. IT IS a great read! And I kid you not! Enjoy!

Much thanks for looking! Link is here, friends!

.
 
Last edited:
I played him in a North East tour event in I think 2003. Race to 6 alt break 9-ball, He beat me 6-3 which left me 7th and then he lost in the next round to finish 5th. In that tournament both of Parica's losses were to Carmen Lombardo.
 
Wow! That must have been some match! All I could remember about Amang Parica was the TV show I was glued on when I was still a kid. He was playing against Efren Bata Reyes. The Magician won that competition.

.
 
I saw Parica at JOB's Music City Open last year. He had his back to me and I could'nt figure out why there was a 11 or 12 year old kid with a custom cue case and a Bicycle Casino jacket hanging out at 1:00 in the morning.
 
Hambone said:
I saw Parica at JOB's Music City Open last year. He had his back to me and I could'nt figure out why there was a 11 or 12 year old kid with a custom cue case and a Bicycle Casino jacket hanging out at 1:00 in the morning.
Interesting.....
 
Hambone said:
I saw Parica at JOB's Music City Open last year. He had his back to me and I could'nt figure out why there was a 11 or 12 year old kid with a custom cue case and a Bicycle Casino jacket hanging out at 1:00 in the morning.
Kinda reminds me of the couple of kids i saw at one of the popular pool halls in Maniila. The kids were about 13-15 years old - and THEY COULD REALLY SHOOT POOL! Wow!

.
 
Jose's home room is HardTimes in Bellflower, CA. He usually plays in the first-Sunday-of-the-month 9-ball tourney (though he's not there today, for obvious reasons). I've played him there a couple of months ago. He had to spot me a game going to 6 (amatuers get a game from pros). I lost the match even though I was on the hill first. The guy just moves real good.
 
8ballEinstein said:
Jose's home room is HardTimes in Bellflower, CA. He usually plays in the first-Sunday-of-the-month 9-ball tourney (though he's not there today, for obvious reasons). I've played him there a couple of months ago. He had to spot me a game going to 6 (amatuers get a game from pros). I lost the match even though I was on the hill first. The guy just moves real good.
Wow! Much thanks for the great info, my friend!

Amateurs get a game from the pros - now, that is a very neat idea! And I kid you not!

.
 
Nice read on Jose. In what may be the longest standing rivalry in pool, I would love to see Jose and Efren square off in an action challenge.
 
Jose parica

I first met Jose in 1996 at a PCA event, I drew him first round, I won the lag,And quickly put a 3 pack on him. I looked up to see if he was worried and to my amazement he was just sitting there eating a hambuger and drinking a coke , I kid you not! When I fianlly missed in the 4th game He came to the table and showed me who he was! LOL Well! he ended up winning that tournament beating a young Mika Immomen in the finals. That man can Play!:)
 
PoolBum said:
Nice read on Jose. In what may be the longest standing rivalry in pool, I would love to see Jose and Efren square off in an action challenge.
I'd love to see them play, too, whether in doubles or singles competition!
 
JoeyInCali said:
Jose is one great player.
Not very smart in life imo.
How many of us are. Jose has done well for himself. He's still living and playing. He is still feared as a player and gets a lot of respect.
 
9ball said:
I first met Jose in 1996 at a PCA event, I drew him first round, I won the lag,And quickly put a 3 pack on him. I looked up to see if he was worried and to my amazement he was just sitting there eating a hambuger and drinking a coke , I kid you not! When I fianlly missed in the 4th game He came to the table and showed me who he was! LOL Well! he ended up winning that tournament beating a young Mika Immomen in the finals. That man can Play!:)
Loved the anecdote, my friend! And yes, Amang can play pool! And I kid you not! :)
 
raybo147 said:
I played him in a North East tour event in I think 2003. Race to 6 alt break 9-ball, He beat me 6-3 which left me 7th and then he lost in the next round to finish 5th. In that tournament both of Parica's losses were to Carmen Lombardo.


Yea, Carmen still to this day takes alot of ribbing from some of the guys about beating Jose twice in that tournament. I'd have to believe that there is a very small list of people who could say that they have beaten Jose twice in one tournament, so any way you cut it, that's quite an accomplishment.
 
Walked into Cassidy's poolroom in Houston in the early 80's to witness this little phillipino ripping Gabby Hill a new one. I sat in amazement watching this little guy kick balls in, kick full safe back and run out from everywhere.

After the match, I walked up and said, "You're the best player I've ever seen. Where are you from?" He said in broken English, "Manila,Phillipines, but I'm not the best. 5 guys play my speed and 3 play better."

I asked who was the best. He said Bata Reyes which didn't make any sense to me as I could not believe someone could play better than what I just witnessed. He, then, said,"He spots me 25 points in 61." At the time, I didn't know 61 was full rack rotation.

Over the next week, he cleaned out everyone in Houston and was gone.

That was Jose. NIce guy!

The next year, Cesar Morales aka Efren Reyes showed up at the Red's tourney and I saw first hand what Jose had said.

Stones
 
Railbird said:
Yea, Carmen still to this day takes alot of ribbing from some of the guys about beating Jose twice in that tournament. I'd have to believe that there is a very small list of people who could say that they have beaten Jose twice in one tournament, so any way you cut it, that's quite an accomplishment.
Indeed, that was quite a feat by Carmen! And I kid you not!
 
Back
Top