Judd Trump to play U.S. Open.................

gerryf

Anyone who saw the Trump match and thinks Magee is an APA 3 is delusional - In fact, it actually says more about your speed than his.
In his second match, didn't Magee beat a FR 520 by a score of 9-8. He's at least a 500 player, and according to Dr. Dave's comparison that would put him around APA 7 or 8 in 9-ball??

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
I thought he looked like a very, very nervous APA 5/6 out there.
I only saw his Trump match, placed on the big stage, first match of the tourney, facing a world snooker champion, live crowd, huge TV audience, commentators, media buildup, with friends watching - all on 4.25” pocckets??? Yes he was obviously and understandably nervous.

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Wow Seeding the US open , thats so weak . Just making sure a shortstop doesn’t get a good bracket and snap one off! What a joke ……. watching these guys on the TV table just laughing while they run over a player with no chance over and over and over ….. Nice shooting Judd lo !!!!

Last edited:

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't want to insult some people here, but the whole discussion about Trump's opponent being a 3,4,5,6 or 500, 700, over 9000 just shows how useless most of this rating systems are.

Trump played well and as we expected had no problems shooting in big balls in big pockets. I admit, that I was surprised about how well he addepted to the break and he showed some potential in position play and kick shots.
But in the end it was a match between a cue sport professional and an amateur.

Let's wait till Trump runs into a golden oldy or a "B" professional...or a 7...or a 745,373...or what else qualifies for a pool pro these days.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
FYI I hear from a reliable source in the tournament that Joe Magee is a low A player from Pennsylvania not a 3 in the APA
Zero chance. An A player probably wouldn't be able to execute at that level no matter how much nerves they had, but they certainly wouldn't have made some of the choices he did which were terrible and showed clear lack of knowledge. Not that it matters, he paid his money as is just as entitled to play as anybody else for whatever his own personal reasons are. More power to him.

I didn't see his second match, and can't estimate his APA level, but it looked like he played that first match at about a 450-475 Fargo level.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In his second match, didn't Magee beat a FR 520 by a score of 9-8. He's at least a 500 player, and according to Dr. Dave's comparison that would put him around APA 7 or 8 in 9-ball??
Sclafani's 520 rating is a pure starter rating with no robustness (i.e. zero games in the system) and can't be used as evidence one way or another.