Judd Trump to play U.S. Open.................

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My FargoRate estimates

Slight favorite over anyone with FR under 700

Even money to slight underdog against anyone with FR between 700-750

Underdog to anyone with a FR over 750

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just read the Judd article linked here, and at the bottom when it lists the sponsors, it says Diamond tables will be used. I thought it was Predator tables from recent news articles. Am I remembering wrong? Is the text I read wrong?
For the US Open that was in Las Vegas, Diamond was the only table in the running because 33 tables had to be set up in about 24 hours. The single piece slate makes that possible. I believe that Matchroom Pool uses Rasson for a lot of it's pool events that only require a few tables.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the US Open that was in Las Vegas, Diamond was the only table in the running because 33 tables had to be set up in about 24 hours. The single piece slate makes that possible. I believe that Matchroom Pool uses Rasson for a lot of it's pool events that only require a few tables.

There are too many events, and too many tables now. I'm losing track! Its a pool resurgence.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Judd maybe played some pool alongside of his snooker career..
If he have done that he might go deep. I think we find out when we see him play pool first time..

BlueRaider

Registered
I think this is a great move by Matchroom. I’d love to see them get into Chinese 8 ball to better accommodate the crossover play between pool players and snooker players. That’s a huge untapped market in the West. Granted, there really aren’t any tables here, but it could be interesting solely from a viewership aspect.

There’s a video of Thorsten beating Judd Trump at Chinese 8 ball on YouTube right now. A match like that deserves more attention.

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it will be the same story as always when snooker players try themselves at pool.

Players who really try to make the transition are dangerous and even though they lack some key parts of the game, they can win tournaments. Mark Grey, Tony Drago, Chris Melling and not to forget Stuart Pettman, who had a 100+ 14.1 run at DCC in 2013.

And then there are all the others like Ronnie, Mark Williams, Jimmy White, John Higgins, Alex Higgins (maybe you can count Selby in as well), who played a few tournaments for marketing reasons and have never lived up to the hype.

So in the end Matchroom pays Judd a nice holiday in Vegas, with two TV matches, one against a low level opponent or maybe some golden oldie past his prime , which he will win to keep up the attention and the second match against a "name in the game", which he will lose and afterwards can give an interview showing his respect to pool.

But one thing is for sure, Matchroom knows how to create attention and sell their products and since this helps the players, the fans and the sport in general, I`m looking forward to Judd using a jump cue ;-)

I’m really keen to see how well Judd does at 9 ball. It’s a very different game to Snooker but he is probably the best potter and creative shot maker on the tour, skills that should translate well into pool.

In a way he can’t loose, as he is new to the game, any progress he makes is a plus.

Just a question for the pool experts, in terms of prestige and strength in the field, is the US Open bigger than the World Championship?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a question for the pool experts, in terms of prestige and strength in the field, is the US Open bigger than the World Championship?

no, but until recently the world championship was holed up in a warehouse in qatar, with dwindling prestige as a consequence. some would argue that the US open was at least as prestigious during those years, and they wouldn't be very wrong.

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see any real downside, but plenty of upside for just about everyone concerned..exciting!!
me too, I love that he tries his luck at the US Open. Also, I do not subscribe to the sentiment that it would be detrimental to pro-pool if he did well and got deep in this tournament, either. If he plays well, then he plays well! More power to him. Why would that take anything away from the 'real' professional poolplayers?

CanadianGuy

I think it will be the same story as always when snooker players try themselves at pool.

Players who really try to make the transition are dangerous and even though they lack some key parts of the game, they can win tournaments. Mark Grey, Tony Drago, Chris Melling and not to forget Stuart Pettman, who had a 100+ 14.1 run at DCC in 2013.

And then there are all the others like Ronnie, Mark Williams, Jimmy White, John Higgins, Alex Higgins (maybe you can count Selby in as well), who played a few tournaments for marketing reasons and have never lived up to the hype.

So in the end Matchroom pays Judd a nice holiday in Vegas, with two TV matches, one against a low level opponent or maybe some golden oldie past his prime , which he will win to keep up the attention and the second match against a "name in the game", which he will lose and afterwards can give an interview showing his respect to pool.

But one thing is for sure, Matchroom knows how to create attention and sell their products and since this helps the players, the fans and the sport in general, I`m looking forward to Judd using a jump cue ;-)
disagree with the comment about Selby

the man placed 2nd in a major Chinese 8 ball tourney, I would have him as a heavy favourite in any 8 ball pool tourney, his mastery at uk pool, and chinese 8 ball is ridiculous and his pattern play in 8 ball is best in class

As far as Judd, this is fantastic news and now puts me in a position where I watch the early rounds just to see him

Tony Drago has won a major and Judd is light years beyond him, also good to see him with a pool cue and closed bridge in that video, he has some chinese 8 ball experience also

still itching to see a few carom players pick up a pool cue

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
He has the capacity to win it. Nine ball is similar to running the last six in snooker. Any top snooker player is only going to be hampered by the break and jump shots. Otherwise there is not any other shot that they are not already familiar with.

Arguably their ability to play safeties is at the highest level and equally so for getting out of safeties.

When they take it seriously they are in contention to win every pool tournament they play in. That said they are not better than the elite pool players on a pool table which means they join the elite but don't dominate the field.

Conversely, elite pool players can't compete with the elite in snooker at snooker as a walk-on. They would need to put in serious training to convert to snooker and even then would be unlikely to crack the top 16.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think the biggest transition Judd has to make is the bigger, heavier pool balls and how that changes everything in terms of deflection, swerve, throw, and speed control compared to playing with lighter, smaller snooker sized balls, not to mention the different cloth and different cushions.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He is a top professional and I expect he will do his homework and probably is as we speak. His weakest point may be his break. Shane has certainly proved to all how important that is in 9 ball and 10 ball. It has relative importance in other games but not quite as much as in 9 & 10 ball.