JUMP CUE ISSUE SOLVED ?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here’s a novel idea, how about no jump cues, and no jump shots allowed anymore. Lean to play learn to kick from the rail alla Efren. I for one would not mind seeing this although I’m in the minority.
Jump shots have always been legal. Its the advent of the 'shorty' that's changed the landscape.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or just ban the shorty-cue all together? Thats the real solution.

I don't know why some people get this hype about jumping balls with shorty, sometimes I laugh at the commentators trying to "Big-hype" a jump shot from a player. It's the silliest thing ever and I don't get why they keep doing it about the easy-jump shorty.

Even Judd trump who doesn't play pool at one time in the tournament got hooked and he brought his shorty and jump + made the ball. Yes it is that easy.

One time grady mathews said it takes years to learn how to kick properly but he could teach a guy to jump a ball within 30 minutes.

Jump shots are not a "WOW" shot, they are easy and should never been used. Please do pool a favor and ban them, for the love of god I been saying this for years.
Should the bridge be banned? :unsure:

:sleep:

Adios.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then how about I bring 5 different cues with me with different diameter and materials, also different tips and weights of cues. Lets say I come to the pool table with one CF shafted cue and 4 other wooden cue, one is 12.5mm and one is 12.2mm and two with hard tips. Another cue I bring that is 17 oz weight and another that is 21 oz weight.

Then with each shot I choose different cue for certain shots? do you think that should be allowed too? based on your argument it should be allowed. Maybe I use the heavy cue for hard draw shots, then the light cue for the slow-roll shots.

Since you think golf is the same as pool, lets also do this? I'll send a letter for the pool-society maybe they approve.

In more seriousness, I hope you can see that issue here. Golf is not similar to pool. Playing on a small table is different than playing on different grounds/ large field/ different elevations etc.

I have no issue with someone bringing 15 cues if they really want frankly, if someone wants to play as you propose and can do so within the time limit (assuming there is a shot clock), I'd have absolutely no issue with that (although I'm not convinced it would be great viewing).

That said, I still consider it the same, golf has a limit of 14 (I think) clubs because the courses are bigger with various hazards.

Pool has a limit of 3 or 4 (I'm assuming there actually, not actually sure if that's true, or whether you could theoretically bring more), but lets say most players probably have 3 (plus perhaps spare shafts). They then use a break cue (driver) to break (tee off), they then use a playing cue (3 iron) to play (hit off the fair way) and then a jump cue (sand wedge) to jump (i.e. when stuck in a bunker).

To be honest the more this goes on, the more similar I think it is!

Obviously, joking aside of course the games are vastly different, I just mean that the concepts are actually pretty similar and saying having 15 cues (or whatever) might well be ridiculous, but a limit can still be set and if its not already 3 cues, then why not just formalise this.

smoochie

NotLikeThis
I've sure as F@ck seen a lot of missed safeties from world class pros in the last three weeks of Championship streams. You're wrong, its okay that you don't see it though.
Anyone can miss a safety play, what if a pro missed a safety. I don't see what does that have anything to do with a shorty jump cue which any 10 yr old can use and jump successfully. Even a guy who can't runout a rack can still jump a ball with that easy-shorty. So your point is?

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then how about I bring 5 different cues with me with different diameter and materials, also different tips and weights of cues. Lets say I come to the pool table with one CF shafted cue and 4 other wooden cue, one is 12.5mm and one is 12.2mm and two with hard tips. Another cue I bring that is 17 oz weight and another that is 21 oz weight.

Then with each shot I choose different cue for certain shots? do you think that should be allowed too? based on your argument it should be allowed. Maybe I use the heavy cue for hard draw shots, then the light cue for the slow-roll shots.

Since you think golf is the same as pool, lets also do this? I'll send a letter for the pool-society maybe they approve.

In more seriousness, I hope you can see that issue here. Golf is not similar to pool. Playing on a small table is different than playing on different grounds/ large field/ different elevations etc.

Allowed? There’s no prohibition against using different cues if you want to.

Go for it if you think it would help. I bet it wouldn’t though…

Pool isn’t the same as golf. The analogy with respect to the use of the better tool for the job is a pretty good one though. And fwiw, I don’t always use a sand wedge out of a green side bunker nor do I always jump over a blocker. Different circumstances require different approaches. There’s nothing that says a good player can’t be skilled at various techniques. Hell, I’d argue that he should be.

smoochie

NotLikeThis
Do you feel the same about break cues?

I’ve honestly never understood why people get so upset by the equipment that somebody else uses. It’s easy, if you want to beat the other guy, just play better than he does…
You never understood because you don't see how easy it is. either that or probably you've bought an expensive jump cue and you jump pretty well and you think that you acquire a skill. Maybe you don't want to acknowledge the fact that it is easy and that's why you jump well, maybe just maybe you think that the reason why you jump is cause you're good at it? not the shorty. I'm speculating here obviously I don't know you, but these are the common reasons why one doesn't understand why ppl are asking for jump cues to be banned.

sonny burnett

Registered
I sense every Filipino in the world shouting yes, ban shorty!!!!

Back when you could play in a different 9 ball event every night of the week in a 2 hour drive it really sucked when my road player and I practiced 8 hours daily and got where we could kick out of anything that wasn't up under a ball, and it all was for naught when an opponent shot lazy, pulled out shorty and ran out.

I would love to see the jump cue banned but don't see it happening since most the players still around paid good money for them.

Maybe if they could use the jump shaft on their playing cue butt would be a start. I still prefer a great kick escape. I think that takes a lot of the sand out of opponent. I guess I'm just getting too old.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sense every Filipino in the world shouting yes, ban shorty!!!!

Back when you could play in a different 9 ball event every night of the week in a 2 hour drive it really sucked when my road player and I practiced 8 hours daily and got where we could kick out of anything that wasn't up under a ball, and it all was for naught when an opponent shot lazy, pulled out shorty and ran out.

I would love to see the jump cue banned but don't see it happening since most the players still around paid good money for them.

Maybe if they could use the jump shaft on their playing cue butt would be a start. I still prefer a great kick escape. I think that takes a lot of the sand out of opponent. I guess I'm just getting too old.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I agree. I once showed a 400(maybe) Fargo how to use his jump cue. Took all of about 5min. Guy still can't kick to save his life. They're here to stay i get it but to compare the skills required is not even close.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You never understood because you don't see how easy it is. either that or probably you've bought an expensive jump cue and you jump pretty well and you think that you acquire a skill. Maybe you don't want to acknowledge the fact that it is easy and that's why you jump well, maybe just maybe you think that the reason why you jump is cause you're good at it? not the shorty. I'm speculating here obviously I don't know you, but these are the common reasons why one doesn't understand why ppl are asking for jump cues to be banned.

I don't disagree with you that jumping with a jump cue is actually relatively easy. Coming from an English pool background (years ago this is), I was surprised how quickly I learnt.

But I don't see why that's a reason to ban it, surely if I leave my opponent a shot they can jump out of, then its my fault for having played a poor safety?

JC

Coos Cues
Allowed? There’s no prohibition against using different cues if you want to.

Go for it if you think it would help. I bet it wouldn’t though…

Pool isn’t the same as golf. The analogy with respect to the use of the better tool for the job is a pretty good one though. And fwiw, I don’t always use a sand wedge out of a green side bunker nor do I always jump over a blocker. Different circumstances require different approaches. There’s nothing that says a good player can’t be skilled at various techniques. Hell, I’d argue that he should be.
The bca has rules about how many cues you can bring to a match.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Or just ban the shorty-cue all together? Thats the real solution.

I don't know why some people get this hype about jumping balls with shorty, sometimes I laugh at the commentators trying to "Big-hype" a jump shot from a player. It's the silliest thing ever and I don't get why they keep doing it about the easy-jump shorty.

Even Judd trump who doesn't play pool at one time in the tournament got hooked and he brought his shorty and jump + made the ball. Yes it is that easy.

One time grady mathews said it takes years to learn how to kick properly but he could teach a guy to jump a ball within 30 minutes.

Jump shots are not a "WOW" shot, they are easy and should never been used. Please do pool a favor and ban them, for the love of god I been saying this for years.
I think it takes incredible effort to be so short sighted. Well done... (y)

Fore Rail

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What happened to all the guys around here that loved when their opponents got the jump cue out cuz they were gonna get ball in hand? :)

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
What happened to all the guys around here that loved when their opponents got the jump cue out cuz they were gonna get ball in hand? :)
I still do...

We have a guy that's watching professionals playing pool and sees one of them grab his short cue and make a decent shot. How many hours do people think pros practice jumping...? From some people's comments probably next to zero. That is just as unlikely as pros not practicing the break shot, although templates and break cues/tips have "made it so easy". Yes a short cue makes popping the CB in the air easy. That's where it stops. The rest is a practiced skill. A simple forum search will find this argument rehashed constantly. The points have been made, and the slow minded continually need to be reminded.