Just picking up the cue every day helps me

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember watching a couple football movies where the player had a fumbling problem and the coach would tell them to carry that football with them everywhere they went
I'm of the belief that the more you have a cue in your hand the more natural it feels even if you don't have a table
When I didn't have a table I would grab my cue and walk around the dining room table and practice my stroke on that
Now that I have a table sometimes I just don't feel like getting serious so I just throw balls out practice different strokes not really baring down just firing at balls, hi ,low ,jacked up ,jump shots , rail shots , over balls , swerve shots , throw shots and so on

I feel that it gives me better feel for when I do practice or play seriously
Anybody else do this

1
 
I'll just shoot the same half table shots over and over again might miss 2 in 15 but I feel like it keeps me in stroke, if I miss 2 or 3 in a row I stop and reset get back in stroke and move on. Every rack or 2 ill add some distance or some cut but I'll shoot the same shot 2-3 racks just to keep everything straight. ( it helps to have a goal for the cue ball as well one way practice throws me off
 
Well you're correct in that having a cue in your hand everyday helps you. A very wise man once told me that if your not playing at least an hour a day then you're not playing at more than 60% of your ability.

Every great player became one because they went through a period where they lived & breathed pool for a significant period of time.
 
I remember watching a couple football movies where the player had a fumbling problem and the coach would tell them to carry that football with them everywhere they went
I'm of the belief that the more you have a cue in your hand the more natural it feels even if you don't have a table
When I didn't have a table I would grab my cue and walk around the dining room table and practice my stroke on that
Now that I have a table sometimes I just don't feel like getting serious so I just throw balls out practice different strokes not really baring down just firing at balls, hi ,low ,jacked up ,jump shots , rail shots , over balls , swerve shots , throw shots and so on

I feel that it gives me better feel for when I do practice or play seriously
Anybody else do this

1


I used to do the same thing with a golf club during the Winter months.
I call it staying connected. :)
 
Well you're correct in that having a cue in your hand everyday helps you. A very wise man once told me that if your not playing at least an hour a day then you're not playing at more than 60% of your ability.

Every great player became one because they went through a period where they lived & breathed pool for a significant period of time.

Well at 56 I don't think I'll be be a world champion but I'm in pool mode now getting ready for the xbo late senior entry , some days I'm just to tired to bare down and think ,I found sometimes when you try to do that it produces negative results that carry linger
I found this way works better for me

1
 
For the most part I am playing better now then ever but my slumps last longer and are harder to break. I am also just north of 55 and my eyes are starting to fail.
Watching live streams seems to keep me inspired as much as anything. Finding center ball and not using as much spin also seems to work better. I still love to spin the rock.
 
Well at 56 I don't think I'll be be a world champion but I'm in pool mode now getting ready for the xbo late senior entry , some days I'm just to tired to bare down and think ,I found sometimes when you try to do that it produces negative results that carry linger
I found this way works better for me

1
I'd agree with this. Practicing with your weakest game can reinforce negative results. Best to practice with the intensity that you want in action.

I do think that recognizing when you are off your best game and making adjustments is important. Playing more defense, not going for the runouts when your game is off. If you are in a 2 day or longer event, playing long hours, there will be times you have to win with less than your best game.
 
I'd agree with this. Practicing with your weakest game can reinforce negative results. Best to practice with the intensity that you want in action.

I do think that recognizing when you are off your best game and making adjustments is important. Playing more defense, not going for the runouts when your game is off. If you are in a 2 day or longer event, playing long hours, there will be times you have to win with less than your best game.

What I do is I space it out some days I rack a break several times working on my break
Then a little ghost ball , then I might practice safety play only for a while
Next day might be just a few drills ,
I try to mix it up ,,
Then I might go get in some cheap action or a weekly turny to get some competition in before the event say like the xbo
Then I'll play there let the chips fall have fun come home
And grab my surf fishing gear and relax
The spices of life don't just eat one

1
 
I hit balls almost every day, get up 6:30 am and play about 10 or 15 minutes after doing the rest of my morning routine, then watch CBS This Morning. Usually play longer sometime during the rest of the day.
 
In cycling, the call it chamois time- wearing the bike shorts when youre not riding.
I am not a fan. Bike shorts are not that good on you when ypu arent riding.

I imagine a cue is worse for yer nuts.
 
Agree

I remember the first time I drove a car how awkward it felt, turning to wide stopping to fast etc. but you do it everyday and eventually you get to your destination and don't even remember the drive it's like autopilot . It is somewhat the same with Pool, when I only practiced 2-3 times a week certain shots felt very awkward now I hit balls every single day and have been doing this since 1999. With the shots and shape coming more natural it allows you to focus better.
 
I remember watching a couple football movies where the player had a fumbling problem and the coach would tell them to carry that football with them everywhere they went
I'm of the belief that the more you have a cue in your hand the more natural it feels even if you don't have a table
When I didn't have a table I would grab my cue and walk around the dining room table and practice my stroke on that


Let me guess, you would do this around 4:20 every day?
 
Very true.

Same with a pistol. When I carried a gun for a living I lived with a hand gun and wore it constantly. When I was not doing live fire practice I would do dry fire practice in my garage daily. I practiced the draw, sight picture and trigger press.

Perfect practice develops perfect technique that gives in good results. I should practice on my stroke daily!
 
I hit balls almost every day, get up 6:30 am and play about 10 or 15 minutes after doing the rest of my morning routine, then watch CBS This Morning. Usually play longer sometime during the rest of the day.

If you cut out watching CBS This Morning, there's no telling how well you'll do. :smile:
 
Back
Top