Just some nobody rambling on about cues

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
If you are reading this, you were warned, so no complaining please:smile:.

Anyhow, I've been on a quest to find the perfect cue for me and my style of play, and I've come to the realization that there are two "cue making philosophies" that both suit me rather well. One is the "cue is a part of the arm" were the cue is highly resonant, with lots of feedback to the hand and a rather sharp hit with a high pitch tone. The other is more of a muted hit, where there is mostly only the impact that is felt and the cue has a low tone. The second category ones (that I like) tend to be metal jointed, while the first category that I find to be good are sneaky/plastic joints, but exceptions exist, of course. I tend to shy away from the in-between type of cues.

I have several good cues but a couple of them I actually find a little distracting as they are so resonant that they resound in the room, and if I change tips, they don't play quite as well. On the other extreme I had a cue where I could hardly tell what was going on with the hit, and it makes it hard to know if you hit the ball well.

My friend (like Earl Strickland) always says that he doesn't want to feel the cue, that he wants to go through the ball with as little felt resistance as possible. It's hard to argue with him, since he is a great cueist and lately the argument has kind of won me over to the dark and low pitched side, lol.

What do you guys think?
 
If you are reading this, you were warned, so no complaining please:smile:.

Anyhow, I've been on a quest to find the perfect cue for me and my style of play, and I've come to the realization that there are two "cue making philosophies" that both suit me rather well. One is the "cue is a part of the arm" were the cue is highly resonant, with lots of feedback to the hand and a rather sharp hit with a high pitch tone. The other is more of a muted hit, where there is mostly only the impact that is felt and the cue has a low tone. The second category ones (that I like) tend to be metal jointed, while the first category that I find to be good are sneaky/plastic joints, but exceptions exist, of course. I tend to shy away from the in-between type of cues.

I have several good cues but a couple of them I actually find a little distracting as they are so resonant that they resound in the room, and if I change tips, they don't play quite as well. On the other extreme I had a cue where I could hardly tell what was going on with the hit, and it makes it hard to know if you hit the ball well.

My friend (like Earl Strickland) always says that he doesn't want to feel the cue, that he wants to go through the ball with as little felt resistance as possible. It's hard to argue with him, since he is a great cueist and lately the argument has kind of won me over to the dark and low pitched side, lol.

What do you guys think?

Get a Becue with the Prime shaft.

You don't feel any vibrations, but you feel a super solid hit. You feel the cue ball on your tip.
 
The cue should tell you if you hit the ball off-center, too hard or too soft.
In time you should build muscle memory from the cue's feedback
 
Back
Top