Just watched my last match of Bonus Ball

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is my personal opinion, and I am not going to argue with anyone about it. These matches have been some of the worst exhibitions of pool I have seen. I would never pay to watch. I have played Bonus Ball, didn't like it, and watching it is even worse.

Played in the local pool tournament today, and not one word of Bonus Ball, but we all talked and watched the rerun of day 2 of the TAR match. Nobody even asked to put it on the many TV's in the room.

I am not only embarrassed for the sport of pool, but more so for the players. For the players sake I wish it would work, change the game, and it would at least have a chance.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is my personal opinion, and I am not going to argue with anyone about it. These matches have been some of the worst exhibitions of pool I have seen. I would never pay to watch. I have played Bonus Ball, didn't like it, and watching it is even worse.

Played in the local pool tournament today, and not one word of Bonus Ball, but we all talked and watched the rerun of day 2 of the TAR match. Nobody even asked to put it on the many TV's in the room.

I am not only embarrassed for the sport of pool, but more so for the players. For the players sake I wish it would work, change the game, and it would at least have a chance.

Hey not everyone likes watching one, two, and three rail banks with built in safeties, 14.1 like breaks, thin cuts, top shelf strategic thought processes spoken out loud to learn from and tons of drama and that's ok.

I have never seen pool where the characters are finally being developed like everyone has always said we needed. Loving every minute of it.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey not everyone likes watching one, two, and three rail banks with built in safeties, 14.1 like breaks, thin cuts, top shelf strategic thought processes spoken out loud to learn from and tons of drama and that's ok.

I have never seen pool where the characters are finally being developed like everyone has always said we needed. Loving every minute of it.

I agree. I thought it was going to be lame but I after seeing the players playing it and talking through it I definitely enjoy it.

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You're right, not everyone, not the majority I'd say 95% of players in general. Lol.

Straight pool has been dead forever, and will stay dead.
3 cushion same thing dead dead dead.
One pocket not like by the majority either. My favorite personally.

Most pool shooters whether league or recreational only know 8 ball. They don't want to see this, and would NEVER EVER pay to see it.

AZBilliards, well we have people that like all games. Nothing wrong with that.
But Bonus Ball needs to be liked by that 95% of people to be a success, AZBilliards well we may make up 1% of the pool population. That's why are input on if we like it is meaningless. The game is way to complicated for the average league player, bar room player and or recreational player.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're right, not everyone, not the majority I'd say 95% of players in general. Lol.

Straight pool has been dead forever, and will stay dead.
3 cushion same thing dead dead dead.
One pocket not like by the majority either. My favorite personally.

Most pool shooters whether league or recreational only know 8 ball. They don't want to see this, and would NEVER EVER pay to see it.

AZBilliards, well we have people that like all games. Nothing wrong with that.
But Bonus Ball needs to be liked by that 95% of people to be a success, AZBilliards well we may make up 1% of the pool population. That's why are input on if we like it is meaningless. The game is way to complicated for the average league player, bar room player and or recreational player.

Oh yeah of course it's easy to say that ANY pool venture won't sell to the masses. I just think it's great for us here and if they are going to set up a way to gamble on it, I could see enough asians loving to sweat it. I've been sweating every match and it's the best game to sweat imo.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Embarrassed for the state of pool, more so for the players? Gimme a break...and get off your hi horse.

Given the options to be a career pool player, what do you propose would be a better choice?

Powerlifter

Rat in a cage
Silver Member

A better idea would be to have players in suit and ties playing the same game people they have played for a 100 years,and watch the game never grow like it hasn't for a 100 years. Its decaying away and it's only getting worse. The same people that are hell bent on keeping it the same are the same ones that talk about yesteryears more then they do today's. Its always amusing to see some of the same people who were diehard promoters of pool suddenly wanna see failure by someone with a different idea because they decided to go a different direction.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I agree. I thought it was going to be lame but I after seeing the players playing it and talking through it I definitely enjoy it.

I agree... i'm kinda digging it. And that was before I knew Earl was involved... can't wait to see his next match.

Plus, the uniforms are a cool touch. Do they sell them ??

Now, if they can work out a fair schedule not to conflict with other events, cause that would be good for everyone, and thus best for anyone trying to make money in pool.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A better idea would be to have players in suit and ties playing the same game people they have played for a 100 years,and watch the game never grow like it hasn't for a 100 years. Its decaying away and it's only getting worse. The same people that are hell bent on keeping it the same are the same ones that talk about yesteryears more then they do today's. Its always amusing to see some of the same people who were diehard promoters of pool suddenly wanna see failure by someone with a different idea because they decided to go a different direction.

I assume you mean eight ball? That could be true that it would sell better. I'm thankful personally to be viewing tons of awesome shots as opposed to stop shots all night.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
100% of the time it's entertainment and emotional attachment (to participants).

I assume you mean eight ball? That could be true that it would sell better. I'm thankful personally to be viewing tons of awesome shots as opposed to stop shots all night.

Yes, at the end of the day it's not about "the Game" they are playing as much as the presentation and entertainment value.

From our research the #1 thing is develop the characters and personalities, and I hope they "real eyes" this soon. They have a chance to make this really work well, however, like any other business they need to adapt, change and conform to what the public wants and 100% of the time it's entertainment and emotional attachment (to participants).

I'm just glad to see something different in the "pool world," we've been watching it for the past few years and it's cycling down, and never developing any momentum. Without momentum everything ends up coming to a stop and I'd hate to see that happen in professional pool.

Craig

Custom Cue-Repair
Silver Member
BB is like watching paint dry.

Nothing about it is entertaining or exciting.

greenroomms

Registered

i agree...just watched this bonus ball for the past two days and i was not entertained AT ALL. if there were not players like earl, kiamco, nevell and others i would've just turned it off...instead i turned on my tv and turned the volume down on my computer and paid attention to my channel surfing skills more than the bonus ball league. you will never see two guys in your local pool room meeting to play a set of bonus ball...for this reason..."i'm out."

Powerlifter

Rat in a cage
Silver Member

No I'm being sarcastic. I applaud them for being different doing everything their way and not really caring about pissing a few people off. Very little about "yesteryear" is appealing to young people,and you can't blame them. They can play video games and use high end PC's with amazing graphics or here old war stories about kid Nabisco shredded wheat,who once ran 12 racks of a rotation game of pool.

Lumocolor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I feel the same about 1 pocket.

I think it would be entertaining to watch Earl try to play with an eye swollen shut and double j's cue up his arse though.