Kamui Chalk - MY Review

Railbird Hero

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got my first piece of Kamui Magic Chalk.
A new cube weighs 12.9 grams.
A new cube of masters weighs 16.9 grams.
A new cube of Blue Diamond weighs 17 grams.
I also noticed chalk sticking to the cueball, but I also noticed the cueball holding more english, follow or draw. I do like it. I think it could take time to adjust to, Pre-shot Routine, The extra friction allowing more spin, and guarding it like a small kitten in a dog park.
I still think 30$ is a bit high, but I would probably buy it again, In fact had I had bought a few cubes I would have been able to sell them as I let a few other people try it and they really like it as well.
I have tried JBs method. Get a nice layer of the Kamui on the tip, then eventually use my Blue Diamond to chalk in between shots and that also worked very well.
I also received a Kamui leather chalk holder that doesnt hold their chalk because its too small. Ill have to wrap some gaffer tape or electrical tape around it to make it work.

I do want to thank those who have posted their honest reviews like John has as it led me to try it out, and even if I go back to Blue Diamond once this cubes reached the end I will at least know I have had some enjoyment, much more than I got for the 30$ I spent at the movie theater.

Kot_Bigemot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys.
Well, after about a week of thinking and literally pulling my mouse pointer away from "buy" button, i have decided to spend $30 and buy the chalk. I got 0.98 version from a guy on flea bay. He is in FL and claims to be authorized dealer. He also provides free shipping.
Anyway, i received the chalk in a sealed bag. Opening was no problems as i always have scissors handy. That bag by the way is reusable, you can reseal it again.
First thing that shocked me was how small the chalk looked. It looks at least 1.5 times smaller than Masters. I mean, for God's sake! For $30 you should expect no less than a standard size chalk.
So, i took it to pool room to try out. I did the whole cleaning thing with my tip before applying the chalk - cleaned off the old stuff, reshaped the tip etc.
The applied chalk. It felt much finer than Masters, oily and smooth.
It took me a while to feel the difference but, at some point in the middle of second rack i noticed that i did not chalk and have not miscued yet. Looked at the tip and it looked like there was still some chalk left. What amazed me that my tip did not loose its roughness....I was puzzled to be honest. I use new tips called Black King Medium i think.
I have to say that i do get more English with this chalk, more control and overall, more consistency in my game. That is based on 4 hour session. I will go back and try it again today. Will report later.
So, here are the good points:
1. Very smooth, fine, oily feel. Feels really good when applying the chalk - you can actually feel that you are covering the tip evenly.
2. Somehow this chalk adds more consistency to game, more English, it grabs the cue ball better.
On a bad side:
1. For $30 you get a small chalk - about 1.5 times smaller than regular Masters. I can not see this chalk lasting more than 2-3 month.
2. It does leave marks on a cue ball. And it is stays on hands, hard to wash off.
3. The price. Just think about it - $30 for a SMALL piece of chalk.

My conclusion is - i am not buying it again. I must say that i loved it but, the price, the amount you get for the money - i will be better off with either Balabushka chalk or the Cosmo. Much cheaper and almost same effect.

bobt3719

Registered Pool Player
Lots and lots of things have been written about Kamui chalk in this fourm. It seems by my reading it is a great piece of chalk but too expensive. The only question no answered in my searching is why is it that expensive. Is the manufacturing process that more expensive or the cost of make up of this chalk. Could it be the cost is that high because someone will pay it and not think about the actual cost of making it.
I have been using it and i can not see much of a difference in my game. I do chalk less, but that is about it. I plan on going back to my BD.

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
So, finally I got my own cube. In fact on the same day I got TWO of them from two different places. Thanks guys!

I sort of feel like I should do a IPAD unboxing photo report on this stuff. But I won't because you all know what it looks like by now.

Getting into the vacuum sealed packaging required some effort. It LOOKS like there is a ziplock seal and if you tear along the dotted line that you will be able to open the zipped pouch. BUT I tore the package along the line and tried to open it - no chance, so I cut a little more with scissors above what looks like the ziplock. No chance. So I cut BELOW the ziploc and finally was able to get it open. So if the bag is supposed to be resealable I have to say that this one is not and someone should look into packaging that's a little easier to open.

That said getting a SINGLE piece of chalk in a vaccuum sealed package was a strange experience for someone used to taking chalk for granted.

So I just had to run to the pool room to try it out. "It's research honey." "When will you get home she asked", "when I miscue" was my reply and I don't think she was amused. (she knows the whole Kamui chalk saga)

At the pool room I wiped all the old chalk off my tip. My tip is very bald, not scuffed at all. It's a Black Diamond layered tip that was given to me a year ago.

I applied an even coat of Kamui chalk and decided not to chalk again until I miscued. I started out by shooting all sorts of spin shots while working through a couple racks. I was about four racks in before I miscued. I looked at the tip and decided to ignore and and kept shooting. About two racks later I miscued on a draw shot and then tried a few more and also miscued. So I chalked again with a lighter layer. Shot a few more racks and then the house pro asked me if I wanted to play a set.

I moved to his table and didn't chalk again. There were five cubes of Brunswick chalk on the table. I played the entire set without chalking and lost 7:5. Several times I found myself reaching for one of the chalks on the table and had to stop myself. All the shooting felt completely normal and comfortable. I did not miscue once during the set.

I did feel better by not having to reach for the chalk on every shot. This chalk did not leave any residue on the cloth, none on the cue ball and none on my hands. When I got home my hands were actually clean, or at least not visibly stained with chalk.

So to the question of whether it eliminates the need to chalk frequently.....YES IT DOES. With this stuff I feel that once per game would be more than enough. I played 14 games and never miscued once.

Does it increase the friction? I don't know yet. I really went to the edge of the ball and tried to see how far out I can get but I didn't spend any time marking the balls to see exactly WHERE I hit the cue ball. I will test that later on my table with my CueSight training ball that has precise markings for this purpose. I FEEL that it does allow for more spin but that could just be a placebo effect based on the built up expectation.

Is it worth it?

I think so and I don't say this lightly.

Disclaimer.

I don't have ANYTHING whatsoever to do with Kamui. I don't sell their stuff, Sterling doesn't sell their stuff. I think that some of their stuff like the $1800 cue case they sell is not worth the money being asked. I have told the owner of Kamui the same thing. However I LIKE the owner of Kamui a lot because he is passionate about his product AND he knows his product intimately. I know from speaking to him three years ago that he was then embarking on this quest to improve chalk and I respect anyone who tries to change things for the better.

So, why do I feel that this chalk is worth 100x the price of the market leader? Masters is about .25cts a cube.

1. It sticks to the tip even when the tip is not scuffed.
2. It goes on smoothly and doesn't take much to apply an even coat.
3. It lasts for many many shots before more needs to be applied.
4. It is not messy.
5. It is consistent and dependable.
6. It is much grippier. (based on my FEELING)
7. Using it allows me to establish a better rhythm.
8. Using it gives me confidence.

So for me it's worth it to own this and use it when I gamble and play tournaments. I really do feel that it is a big improvement over regular chalk. Would I like to see it be cheaper? Yes absolutely. While $25 isn't the world and chalk IS important I think that it's truly a premium price and the "elitism" that accompanies the advertising for it is a HUGE turnoff for me. I feel that Kamui should publish some actual data to back up the performance claims instead of making it a class thing, as in 'you must be a good player to appreciate our chalk'.

I think that this price leaves the door wide open for the competition to come in with cheaper versions and I hope that some folks start to research it because the stuff really does work and should be available to more people. The price is a deterrent so Kamui should be trying to get the price down so that their reach can be much greater.

Bottom line: The chalk works great.

I like what I hear but it brings back a lesson and memory from long ago. I was playing in the Florida Open and George Breedlove was there. I had bought this Gawd awesome Howard from George weeks before. Ebony with the greatest looking Tulip Wood Points. This time around he had some Howard Maces with him. I didn't know if I wanted to jump in the water though as the quick release Unilock had just came out. George said "Tom (thats what he used to call me), people sometimes jump to often rather than kick. A quick release takes away those seconds you could be thinking about jumping or kicking." He was right though the guy had a weak break and had to settle on a girl Pool Player as a wife rather than go to a bar and see what looks good after a few 6 packs like I do.

Anyway, I like the no miscue but wonder about the time you spend chalking and thinking before a shot. I mean to me, thats part of the imbred game taking the time to chalk before leaning down to shoot. Am I crazy, oops, sorry I mean am I correct this one time:grin:

TheThaiger

Banned
1. For $30 you get a small chalk - about 1.5 times smaller than regular Masters. I can not see this chalk lasting more than 2-3 month.

I picked up a half-used piece in a trade 9 months ago. I chalk after every shot, pretty much. There's still a quarter left.

islandracer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I average 2-4 times a week, 3 hours a session. I chalk up more than once a rack...my piece of Kamui has barely gone down over quite a few months, I'd guesstimate not even 10-15%. It def does last looong. An important thing to me is it creates a lot less mess, hands, cue, table etc. I have a home table so I like keeping it clean.

Kot_Bigemot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I average 2-4 times a week, 3 hours a session. I chalk up more than once a rack...my piece of Kamui has barely gone down over quite a few months, I'd guesstimate not even 10-15%. It def does last looong. An important thing to me is it creates a lot less mess, hands, cue, table etc. I have a home table so I like keeping it clean.

Well, to each it's own. I am glad it works for you. I am not buying again - way overpriced and does not last as long.

drshupe

Works Very Well for Me! 10+ Racks with No Re-Chalking!!!

I too was skeptical, but then I talked to another very good Player in my area (NW PA) who uses Kamui, he told me he ran out 9 Racks without having to Re-Chalk, so I sent for a Piece of the .98 Kamui Chalk and took it out for a Test Run! I cleaned all of the old chalk off 3 of my Cues, a Shooting Cue, a Break Cue & a Jump Cue! My Shooting Cue is a Lucasi Hybrid Zero Flex Slim Shaft which has an 11.75mm Shaft/Tip (Moori Medium) and my Break and Jump Cues Both Have 14mm Phenolic Resin (Super Hard) Tips on them! I Scuffed & Picked the Shooting cue Before Applying the Kamui Chalk to it and just wiped off the old chalk on the Phenolic Tips then applied the Kamui! I started off by just playing a few racks messing around with English & Draw and did some jumps, no problems at all! Then I Chalked up each cue again and decided not to chalk again at all and played myself 10 Racks of 8 Ball pretending to be 2 Different Players! I ran out each rack by shooting out all of the balls using my normal High End English Game & Taking Jump Shots when necessary! I miscued once in the 4th Rack while trying to take a one handed cut shot, I would say that was my fault, then once again in the seventh game I tried a super hard slice with a lot of side low, which again I believe I over englished that one and will again take the Blame myself! After 10 Racks without chalking at all, I decided to Quit, I could have kept shooting without no doubt without chalking, but I had already decided that 10 Racks was enough, I don't plan on ever playing more than one game without chalking at least a few times any way during a Tournament so without a Doubt, this chalk did what Kamui said it would do! I was very happy with the English, Jumping & Breaking capabilities of this chalk, and I did find that it seemed to add more spin and cue ball grip the game! I noticed that I broke at least 15 Games in a Row with the Phenolic Tip that I would normally have to chalk for every Break, otherwise I would Miscue, so right there alone, I knew this chalk was very Good! It did leave a few small marks on the cue ball at the beginning of the first game, probably because I packed it heavily with Kamui at the beginning, but by the time I got to the end of that game, I notice the chalk was no longer on the cue ball? I got to give it an A+ Rating! Thanks Kamui, Looking Forward to a Long Shooting Relationship with your Chalk! :wink: :cool: :smile:

Dave S. (Tionesta & Levittown, PA)

charlieeeh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I too was skeptical, but then I talked to another very good Player in my area (NW PA) who uses Kamui, he told me he ran out 9 Racks without having to Re-Chalk, so I sent for a Piece of the .98 Kamui Chalk and took it out for a Test Run! I cleaned all of the old chalk off 3 of my Cues, a Shooting Cue, a Break Cue & a Jump Cue! My Shooting Cue is a Lucasi Hybrid Zero Flex Slim Shaft which has an 11.75mm Shaft/Tip (Moori Medium) and my Break and Jump Cues Both Have 14mm Phenolic Resin (Super Hard) Tips on them! I Scuffed & Picked the Shooting cue Before Applying the Kamui Chalk to it and just wiped off the old chalk on the Phenolic Tips then applied the Kamui! I started off by just playing a few racks messing around with English & Draw and did some jumps, no problems at all! Then I Chalked up each cue again and decided not to chalk again at all and played myself 10 Racks of 8 Ball pretending to be 2 Different Players! I ran out each rack by shooting out all of the balls using my normal High End English Game & Taking Jump Shots when necessary! I miscued once in the 4th Rack while trying to take a one handed cut shot, I would say that was my fault, then once again in the seventh game I tried a super hard slice with a lot of side low, which again I believe I over englished that one and will again take the Blame myself! After 10 Racks without chalking at all, I decided to Quit, I could have kept shooting without no doubt without chalking, but I had already decided that 10 Racks was enough, I don't plan on ever playing more than one game without chalking at least a few times any way during a Tournament so without a Doubt, this chalk did what Kamui said it would do! I was very happy with the English, Jumping & Breaking capabilities of this chalk, and I did find that it seemed to add more spin and cue ball grip the game! I noticed that I broke at least 15 Games in a Row with the Phenolic Tip that I would normally have to chalk for every Break, otherwise I would Miscue, so right there alone, I knew this chalk was very Good! It did leave a few small marks on the cue ball at the beginning of the first game, probably because I packed it heavily with Kamui at the beginning, but by the time I got to the end of that game, I notice the chalk was no longer on the cue ball? I got to give it an A+ Rating! Thanks Kamui, Looking Forward to a Long Shooting Relationship with your Chalk! :wink: :cool: :smile:

Dave S. (Tionesta & Levittown, PA)

Looks like an ad.

D_Lewis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One question. What is the difference in Kamui .98 and their 1.21?

98 is thicker, more for a player who doesn't chalk as often. Goes on very thick.
1.21 is more for the player with a pre-shot routine that includes chalking.

I prefer the 1.21 myself.

Kot_Bigemot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know, I took out a second mortgage to buy the .98 and can't afford to get any of the 1.21 :)

I could not agree more with you John. Everything about that chalk is ridiculous:
1. The price - who in a right mind would pay $29???!!!!!!!!
2. The way it clogs the tip - if i leave chalk on the tip overnight, forget it - it will dry up and i will have to file it out.
3. For last 25 years i was and still am chalking up every shot, that is the routine and it helps me focus. Now, why would i try to force myself to do something that is unnatural - chalk every other rack or something? Why? To justify paying $29 for a small piece of chalk?
3. The size. I mean, for $29 you would expect at least a regular size chalk right? WRONG!!!!!!! You get a smaller piece.
I got rid of my piece few days ago. One of the guys at my pool room asked me if i wanted to sell the one i had. So, i just gave it to him. And guess what? In 5 days he returns it to me says - I understand now why you just gave it away. What a piece of $h1t! An expensive POS.
Now, i use Blue Diamond chalk. Very nice, still expensive in my opinion - $6.50 for 2 piece box. But it is better than masters and MUCH cheaper than kamui. I highly recommend at least trying it.

bflgvs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fooey With The...

I could not agree more with you John. Everything about that chalk is ridiculous:
1. The price - who in a right mind would pay $29???!!!!!!!!
2. The way it clogs the tip - if i leave chalk on the tip overnight, forget it - it will dry up and i will have to file it out.
3. For last 25 years i was and still am chalking up every shot, that is the routine and it helps me focus. Now, why would i try to force myself to do something that is unnatural - chalk every other rack or something? Why? To justify paying $29 for a small piece of chalk?
3. The size. I mean, for $29 you would expect at least a regular size chalk right? WRONG!!!!!!! You get a smaller piece.
I got rid of my piece few days ago. One of the guys at my pool room asked me if i wanted to sell the one i had. So, i just gave it to him. And guess what? In 5 days he returns it to me says - I understand now why you just gave it away. What a piece of $h1t! An expensive POS.
Now, i use Blue Diamond chalk. Very nice, still expensive in my opinion - $6.50 for 2 piece box. But it is better than masters and MUCH cheaper than kamui. I highly recommend at least trying it.

I've got the same opinion as you. I'm a little luckier though. A friend of mine got a piece of the .98 stuff with a cue he purchased. Since he doesn't play anymore he gave it to me. It sits in my case now! I've been chalking pretty much after every shot for well over 40 years and did so unconciously with the Kamui. The result was that my wrap had a blue hue and the table was with many little blue streaks, blah, blah. Anyhow, I'm back to my Blue Diamond.:)

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I don't know how this got twisted into the idea that I am against Kamui chalk. I am not. I think it works, I don't think it marks up my hands or my cloth. I don't find that it leaves blue marks on the cue ball.

That said I also barely use it. I find it's too much hassle to get it out of the packaging, think about where it is, make sure I don't forget it, and generally spend my time being self-conscious about the chalk I am using when I use it.

So a lot of the time I will get it out and give my tip a good chalking with it and then use regular chalk on top of it. I put the Kamui away and don't use it the rest of the night.

At this point I think Kamui has to provide some concrete proof of some of their claims or they really can't justify the price they are charging. To me it's a huge turnoff to say to people that they have to be good enough to appreciate the chalk. That's the kind of marketing-speak that galls me a little. Now having said that I will say that when someone says that x-case is better than y-case and I know it's not true then they are probably speaking more from emotion than from actual objective experience.

But when it comes to chalk I think most of us have a pretty good handle on our games and when the only difference is the chalk we can probably feel the difference. As I said in the thread if you can feel the difference between el-cheapo Kmart chalk and Masters then you can feel the difference between Kamui and Masters. But is there enough difference to warrant more than 1000x the cost?

To me that is something that Kamui has not yet proven to my satisfaction. But I still like the chalk and think that there IS something better about it. But not enough better for me to abandon my normal habit of using what's available in the pool room and playing. I am too lazy for Kamui chalk.