Kamui ~ Step to how to install clear tip.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do remember watching a video on those Japanese 1 sided blade that there's a way needed to sharpen on the stone? It isn't the same as sharpening a normal knife right?
Yes. The only thing you got to be carefull with is the angle wich you hold the knife when sharpening.
Make sure the wetstone is throughly soaked before you start. It only takes for or five passes to bring the edge back.

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
Start with 800 if there are any rough spots. Go to 1200 to make the tip perfectly flush (you shouldn`t be able to feel a ridge) and use 2000 grit to polish the ferrule and tip.
I find paper gives a better burnish than leather.
Looks like you have all the tools you need Jive :)

Thanks for the info, gonna try it out soon.

x3dnd3x

Trainee Chalk Collector
Silver Member
Nice! :)
I did a samsara tip for a friend, but forgot to take pictures :(
It was no different than installing a regular leather tip.

You mean the tools that you use are able to cut through a Samsara break tip? :confused:

x3dnd3x

Trainee Chalk Collector
Silver Member
Yes. The only thing you got to be carefull with is the angle wich you hold the knife when sharpening.
Make sure the wetstone is throughly soaked before you start. It only takes for or five passes to bring the edge back.

What if the angle is not right? I would then spoil the blade?

What grit of stone should I get?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You mean the tools that you use are able to cut through a Samsara break tip? :confused:

Yes, quite easily :)

What if the angle is not right? I would then spoil the blade?

What grit of stone should I get?
You have to follow the angle of the blade, I might be wrong, but i believe it`s 22 degrees angle.
I have a wetstone that has 1000 grit on one side and 3000 on the other. I only use the 3000 grit side.

Last edited:

x3dnd3x

Trainee Chalk Collector
Silver Member
Yes, quite easily :)

You have to follow the angle of the blade, I might be wrong, but i believe it`s 22 degrees angle.
I have a wetstone that has 1000 grit on one side and 3000 on the other. I only use the 3000 grit side.

That must be a damn sharp blade. Is it easy to learn if 1 has no experience in sharpening a knife? I remember you saying you worked as a chef before.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That must be a damn sharp blade. Is it easy to learn if 1 has no experience in sharpening a knife? I remember you saying you worked as a chef before.
Yes. Any youtube guide for sharpening knives should do.

blokid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We can use paper blade cutter. Put the shaft tip down at 90 degree on a square wood piece like a cutting board. Then cut like the man who is in youtube video posted by icem3n.