Kamui ~ Step to how to install clear tip.

9 ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sorry but that looked to me like a horrible install job. Use a lathe &/or get a pro to do it every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guitars34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sorry but that looked to me like a horrible install job. Use a lathe &/or get a pro to do it every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure how it looks like a hack job. Looks like a perfect install to me... just time consuming and it takes practice to make look that easy

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
It takes a lot of practice to be any good at putting tips on by hand like that, I tried to show a guy how to roll the shaft in his lap like that and it was not easy for him.... Kinda like rubbing your belly and patting your head at the same time... It really takes a seasoned veteran to install a good tip by hand.

I believe that videos is to promote sales to the average joe that don't have access to a lathe or a cue maker...

Rob.M

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of work, but he did a nice job. If you figure that you are going to replace a tip every 1-2 years, for roughly $20 installation fee just go someone with a lathe.
I was told to not use gel glue. Use regular liquid glue. This is because you should not rough up a pad like you do with a non pad tip.

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
have a pro do it cuemaker/cue repairman/ if they f...up you get a new tip/ferrule/shaft/should be no extra cost

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is the link to the video on how to install Kamui clear tip without lathe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0TKkgHfL4s#t=103

I watched the video and he did a nice job. One thing he did that can be a problem. When you tape the ferrule, don't smooth the tape but leave a tab of tape sticking out. As soon as you have the tip in place remove the tape and it will take the extra glue that squeezed out glue with it. If you leave io there and try to remove it later the tape edge will be glued to your ferrule making a mess to have to fix.

Careyp74

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of work, but he did a nice job. If you figure that you are going to replace a tip every 1-2 years, for roughly $20 installation fee just go someone with a lathe.
I was told to not use gel glue. Use regular liquid glue. This is because you should not rough up a pad like you do with a non pad tip.

they recommend Loctite 401 because of the two materials being bonded. 401 is a super bond anything glue.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
have a pro do it cuemaker/cue repairman/ if they f...up you get a new tip/ferrule/shaft/should be no extra cost
That is easy to say but you should be able to maintain your own cue yourself. Even if you do have a guy near you who can do it, it is a nice luxury to know how to do it yourself if you have to. I remember being at a tournament and watching Miz putting on his own tip. Bludworth was there and Miz just borrowed his equipment.

I used to have a guy who drove 40 miles just to get a new tip because there was no one in his town that did any cue work. He was not even interested in learning how. I never understood that.

Part of the sport is the equipment and learning about equipment seems like it should be of interest, but to many isn't. Someone will want a set of joint protectors and come over and ask what size the screw on their cue is so they can order some. How could they not already know this?

NK_Sniper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is one of the best DIY tip installation videos I've seen so far. Some things he did can be tweaked a little (I wouldn't remove the ferrule tape until i was finished shaving the excess tip edges off), but to every man his own. Not everyone has access to a lathe, moreover a tip repair professional who has one.

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that is why i have 2 shatfs an i dont have to do it myself.but yes its good information to have.i am lucky to live near one of the best cue makers in the world .who does all my work.pfd custom cues

JAlan

Gerbil Jeff
Silver Member
Personally I think he did a darn good job doing it by hand, you can tell he has definitely done it before :)

Only difference I can see is that the lathe install is obviously much quicker and I think you get a better burnish on the tip and shinier finish on the clear part (as long as you step sand it up from 800 grit).

Good video!

Dopc

www.PoolActionTV.com
Silver Member
I've always installed my own tips by hand and while it is time consuming, excellent results are not unreachable. Without practice and experience though one could easily butcher up a ferrule or shaft. It looks to me like a more than acceptable install.

What I noticed more was, how on earth did he not cut the table cloth with that knife :eek: ? Grab a cutting board from the kitchen or some wood scrap next time to cut on, A pool table is not a workbench. Yikers.....

Dopc.

Careyp74

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always installed my own tips by hand and while it is time consuming, excellent results are not unreachable. Without practice and experience though one could easily butcher up a ferrule or shaft. It looks to me like a more than acceptable install.

What I noticed more was, how on earth did he not cut the table cloth with that knife :eek: ? Grab a cutting board from the kitchen or some wood scrap next time to cut on, A pool table is not a workbench. Yikers.....

Dopc.

Ha, I thought that too, so I went back and looked, it isn't a pool table he was using, it was a piece of laminate taped to the desk.

Dopc

www.PoolActionTV.com
Silver Member
Ha, I thought that too, so I went back and looked, it isn't a pool table he was using, it was a piece of laminate taped to the desk.

Thanks for pointing that out. Good thing then, my OCD level was going nuclear.

Dopc.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I used to have a guy who drove 40 miles just to get a new tip because there was no one in his town that did any cue work. He was not even interested in learning how. I never understood that.

Some people just shouldn't use sharp objects.

They've usually learned that the hard way.

Careyp74

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where can I get one of those strips of kamui leather?

any cue burnishing leather pad will work, with the added bonus that they are big enough to use on your shaft, and are cheaper because they don't say Kamui on it.