Kamui ~ Step to how to install clear tip.

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
I got my Japanese hand tools and some new Navigator tips from Japan.

Very sharp knives! so I`m pretty cautious when using them. Took some figuring out what works best, but I found a technique that worked for me.

This is the result:

20140701_154252.jpg

That's a job really well done Kim!

I just bought a bunch of tools and am gonna learn changing tips by hand as well cos I have no access to any decent Cuemaker without having to ship my cue about a thousand miles to Zen...

I have the tools in place and even bought some surgical blades. However I'm curious about the different grit of sandpaper that you use at each stage? Could you break it down for me?

In the Kamui video he used his lap to roll the shaft on, did you do it that way too?

After applying the beeswax did you use a leather burnisher or just sandpaper to achieve that glossy look?

Thanks for sharing.

x3dnd3x

Trainee Chalk Collector
Silver Member

I just bought a bunch of tools and am gonna learn changing tips by hand as well cos I have no access to any decent Cuemaker without having to ship my cue about a thousand miles to Zen...

I have the tools in place and even bought some surgical blades. However I'm curious about the different grit of sandpaper that you use at each stage? Could you break it down for me?

In the Kamui video he used his lap to roll the shaft on, did you do it that way too?

After applying the beeswax did you use a leather burnisher or just sandpaper to achieve that glossy look?

Thanks for sharing.

For me if done by hand, 400 grit, 600 grit then lastly 1000 grit. Sandpaper on the sides will not achieve a glossy look. Water and a piece of leather to burnish will achieve that glossy look.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks for sharing.

800 - 1200 - 2000 grit.
I use bees wax and I use paper to burnish the sides.
Yes i rolled the shaft on my lap.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just saw its meant for a right handed. Can a leftie use it? :confused:

Other than the fact that you have to roll the shaft towards you, instead of from you, there is no problem. keep the knife sharp and it`s effortless.

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
800 - 1200 - 2000 grit.
I use bees wax and I use paper to burnish the sides.
Yes i rolled the shaft on my lap.

Sorry for sounding stupid but at which stage to do you these 3 grit?

I'm particularly concern about the grit to use for sanding the side of the tip to round it of in line with the ferrule..

Thanks.

icem3n

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about the chisel? Any official name? :confused:

I use a Stanley 1" blade chisel.

I sharpened the blade everytime before cutting the tip.

Becareful when using a chisel and not to gouge the ferrule.

I cut the side and turn it down using only a chisel and without any sandpaper (to the stage shown in picture).

Attachments

• IMG-20140727-WA0008-1.jpg
    IMG-20140727-WA0008-1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:

icem3n

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm particularly concern about the grit to use for sanding the side of the tip to round it of in line with the ferrule..

Thanks.

After trimming down to the tip close to flush, you can proceed straight with a sandpaper (lowest number to higher grit number).

For me 800 is good enough, unless u wants your tip to look super smooth.

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
After checking this thread out i bought a bunch of stuff...gonna try to change my own tips..

Last edited:

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a Kamui s soft on a poly tip holder.
The white plumbers tape keeps glue from getting to the sides of the tip holder or the side of the tip itself. It also leaves no sticky residue.
The other picture is after from tip machine and buff with plastic polish and paper towel.

Attachments

• P1030495.jpg
    P1030495.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 265
  • P1030498.jpg
    P1030498.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 266

x3dnd3x

Trainee Chalk Collector
Silver Member
I do remember watching a video on those Japanese 1 sided blade that there's a way needed to sharpen on the stone? It isn't the same as sharpening a normal knife right?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks.
Start with 800 if there are any rough spots. Go to 1200 to make the tip perfectly flush (you shouldn`t be able to feel a ridge) and use 2000 grit to polish the ferrule and tip.
I find paper gives a better burnish than leather.
Looks like you have all the tools you need Jive :)