Karen Corr wins yet another open tournament

Adanac67

Predator=Awesome
Silver Member
She is making it look easy and obviously has no problem making short work of the men. She is an amazing player and I have always been a fan. I just hope to see her in the WPC one day.
 
Mike Zuglan made a comment after the tournament was over that Karen plays better at Open events than she does on the WPBA.

Mike
 
Kevin Lindstrom said:
Which tournament are you talking about. Iss there a bracket listing somewhere to view?


Kevin... i know that she beat Santos Sambajon hill hill and then double dipped Al Lapena for the win..not to shabby i would say. And she won another 1 a couple of weeks ago or so at The RAXX in Hempstead beating Mike Zuglan in the finals. And i know that a couple of years ago she won another in Connecticut by double dipping Jim Rempe in the finals......GO KAREN.............mike
 
Last edited:
I will be completely honest. Historically, I haven't thought much of women players.

But I gotta say this.. Any woman who is capable of winning an open event and beating players like Mike Zuglan and Sambajon is a PLAYAH in my book.

We all know that women can play good. That was never in question. What was in question is whether they can step up and play perfect pool when their opponent doesn't make 6 mistakes a match, as in the WPBA.

Karen has proven that women are a legitimate threat..

Good job, Karen!

Russ
 
cueball1950 said:
Kevin... i know that she beat Santos Sambajon hill hill and then double dipped Al Lapena for the win..not to shabby i would say. And she won another 1 a couple of weeks ago or so at The RAXX in Hempstead beating Mike Zuglan in the finals. And i know that a couple of years ago she won another in Connecticut by double dipping Jim Rempe in the finals......GO KAREN.............mike


yup, and I havn't seen or heard from Rempe since! Seems he just dropped off the map?

IMO, A player of her speed most likely just needed to get past the "women can't beat the men" hump, then the flood gates opened. Just like the women getting past the "unbeatable" Allison.

Gerry
 
The bottom line is that she is one of the best in the world and has every right to compete in the World Pool Championship. How many times does she have to prove that she deserves the chance?
 
Adanac67 said:
The bottom line is that she is one of the best in the world and has every right to compete in the World Pool Championship. How many times does she have to prove that she deserves the chance?

There are a thousand men in the US that would put something on her if the game is an ahead set.
 
almost forgot, congrates to Karen, what a player she is

must be real hard on the ego as a male pro losing to a woman
 
smashmouth said:
almost forgot, congrates to Karen, what a player she is

must be real hard on the ego as a male pro losing to a woman

Just like 'Efren' being Efren has got to be worth a couple games on the wire against the field Karen's womanhood has got to be worth some games against the normal male player...I know, for myself, the first time I played a lady who actually had the skill sets to beat me in a match I was nearly overwhelmed by the self-inflicted pressure. The lady out dogged me in the final game or I would have had to answer all those questions...

I agree with you that Karen must strike fear in the hearts of many male pro's.......I like the ladies heart...:)
 
Happy for Karen

smashmouth said:
almost forgot, congrates to Karen, what a player she is

must be real hard on the ego as a male pro losing to a woman

I am glad to hear that Karen has won an open event and hope that she continues to do so. It may be the shot in the arm that pool needs.

Secondly as a man and having played different women in tournaments I don't understand the ego damage that some guys feel after having lost to a woman. It is a game of pool and some of the women are highly capable of beating the men as Karen and others have shown. Sure I am not happy when I lose whether it be to a man or a woman, my opponents gender doesn't make one loss worse than another. On the other hand if we were boxing or wrestling and I lost to a woman yea then there may be some ego damage, but in a game of pool no.

Finally congratulations to Karen on her latest victory and heres wishing her many more.
 
smashmouth said:
almost forgot, congrates to Karen, what a player she is

must be real hard on the ego as a male pro losing to a woman
I don't see how you could say this...pool isn't exactly a physical sport so strength factors don't exist...
 
Craig Fales said:
I don't see how you could say this...pool isn't exactly a physical sport so strength factors don't exist...

Yes, I believe she won a Tommy Kennedy tournament, and she beat many top male snooker players back in the day.
 
mikepage said:
A thousand? Really?

A hundred, maybe... A thousand? Not a chance..

Furthermore, those below the top 500 wouldn't even WANT to fade that action.

"Gee, lemme see.. There's at least 500 people better than me in the U.S., and I want to play a person for money who runs out every time they see a ball... And is capable of beating down Jim Rempe and Mike Zuglan. Multiple times."

This MIGHT have been true in the 80's/early 90's when the men pros played on bucket tables, but if they played on a tight Diamond, the break is equalized..

I have personally seen Jeanette Lee play in person, and I figure that MAYBE 3 or 4 of the men I played in Washington state would want to fade that action. And Corr is better than Lee. MUCH better.

Russ
 
I was at Comet Billiards, and I watched Karen play several matches. Her stroke is so beautifil to watch. She almost beat Lapena the first time they played. She went to the one loss side late in the tourny. Then had to play two extra matches. Other than her break she had the best shot in the tourny.
 
I've played in a few Joss events that Corr also participated in and although I would not use words such as "making short work of the men", I will say that she definitely has the respect of all players on the Joss Tour. I mean, you see what you see on television. She rarely misses, makes few positional errors and few mental errors. The bottom line is, she's not going to give you an inch. If you make a mistake, you're going to pay for it.

I think what is most interesting, all Joss events are "break from the box" format. Although Corr does not possess a break comparable to most men (in terms of power), she is still regarded as one of the most difficult players to beat on the tour.

Also, I do not think Corr's Joss Tour success should be any jab at Fisher. The fact is, you simply cannot read into it at all. If Fisher played in Joss events, she'd receive the same sort of respect and she'd undoubtedly be successful.

Bottom line is, there is nothing gender specific about making a ball on the break, getting position and running out. Having a 30 mph break is nice but obviously, if that were the the critical element in 9-ball success, Frankie Hernandez and not Efren Reyes would be the player of the century. I've seen enough of Corr up close to say she plays the balls right. She shows up at these events with no fanfare, no hoopla. She pays her entry, puts her cue together and plays. She also happens to be one of the most liked players on the Joss Tour. Everyone is always happy for her when she wins a WPBA event and between matches, she's always a pleasure to chat away the time with.
 
Back
Top