Kelly Fisher Wins WPBA U.S. Open

av84fun

Banned
I didn't see a headline thread on the first couple of pages so sorry if this is a dupe.

Kelly won 7-1. But a great achievement for Iris to make it to the finals.

You go girls...both of you.

Regards,
Jim

PS: Unless I am mistaken, that puts Kelly in the #1 spot in the tour standings.
 
She has been workin hard and playin great. She dserves it. I'd say she is probably the coolest #1 player I have seen. She is great for our tour and the sport and even better as #1.
 
Last edited:
I am really happy for Kelly. There were three women a head of her that could have taken that number one spot and she proved her worth by staying cool and taking it all.

Does anyone know, does the WPBA pay an end of the year bonus for where they finish in the points?

If not, I think they should!
 
av84fun said:
I didn't see a headline thread on the first couple of pages so sorry if this is a dupe.

Kelly won 7-1. But a great achievement for Iris to make it to the finals.

You go girls...both of you.

Regards,
Jim

PS: Unless I am mistaken, that puts Kelly in the #1 spot in the tour standings.

Congrats to Kelly! She deserves to win...

And congrats to Iris also for making headlines so early in her career. I know we can expect great things to come from these two champions.
 
travis trotter said:
so that puts allison in the number 6 ranking on the tour thanks:smile:

Are you sure? I haven't run the numbers and you may be correct but from a quick look it seems that only Kelly, GYK and Karen would have moved ahead of Allison based on their Open finishes.

Who am I missing?

Regards,
Jim
 
travis trotter said:
so that puts allison in the number 6 ranking on the tour thanks:smile:

Congratulations to kelly.I predicted that she will plough through the field and she did.:thumbup:
 
av84fun said:
Are you sure? I haven't run the numbers and you may be correct but from a quick look it seems that only Kelly, GYK and Karen would have moved ahead of Allison based on their Open finishes.

Who am I missing?

Regards,
Jim

X-Pan... I think she will be 5th :sorry: !
 
How can Allison go from 1st to 5th or 6th? It seems like she's been 1st for how many years, seven or eight at least. She's been ranked number one forever on the WPBT.
 
jay helfert said:
How can Allison go from 1st to 5th or 6th? It seems like she's been 1st for how many years, seven or eight at least. She's been ranked number one forever on the WPBT.
It's probably has something to do with the new ranking system. All players start the beginning of the year with 0 points. Before, it worked on a fiscal year, instead of now, on a calendar year. Kelly Fisher took the #1 spot after winning her semi-final. Winning the finals just gave her an extra boost.
 
mattman said:
It's probably has something to do with the new ranking system. All players start the beginning of the year with 0 points. Before, it worked on a fiscal year, instead of now, on a calendar year. Kelly Fisher took the #1 spot after winning her semi-final. Winning the finals just gave her an extra boost.
All previous history is erased every year? Sounds like the movie "Blank Slate".:frown:
 
jay helfert said:
How can Allison go from 1st to 5th or 6th? It seems like she's been 1st for how many years, seven or eight at least. She's been ranked number one forever on the WPBT.

JH,
If I'm not mistaken, the WPBA announced that the rankings would start anew this calendar year (this is now the fourth event with the new rankings).

Sounds suspiciously like the "IfYouCan'tBeatThemTrytoChangetheRankingMethodOtherwiseAFwillbeNumberOneForever" method. I guess such ploys worked well when Jean Balukas was dominant; perhaps everyone is tired of practicing and thought this a better strategy.

I believe their fall back ranking system is to rank only those players who are not English, blonde, and use a Cuetec. Allison could be in trouble.

Can you imagine the PGA planning a new ranking system so Tiger would not be #1? Many sports embrace having a dominant player, women's pool is definitely not one of them.

P.S. - before anyone accuses me of being a bit harsh, let me re-iterate my previous contention that any new ranking system could have been instituted by using retrospective data from at least the past year - any other method leaves open the issue of motive.
 
Last edited:
Actually, even though this is a new system fot the WPBA, it does follow a pattern established in a lot of other sports. Think about it. Almost every sport starts fresh every year:

NASCAR
MLB
NHL
NFL
NBA

You have to admit, there has never been more buzz than this week, when Allison had 1 bad tournament and a new person got to be #1. Maybe this could generate some of the excitement that this sport desperately is trying to find.
 
The rankings are only based on the previous 4 tournaments, so one bad result can really hurt you. According to the WPBA's homepage, the rankings will go like this:

1. K. Fisher
2. Corr
3. (tie) Pan and Kim
5. Ellerby
6. A. Fisher


PJ
 
worldison2 said:
Actually, even though this is a new system fot the WPBA, it does follow a pattern established in a lot of other sports. Think about it. Almost every sport starts fresh every year:

World-man,
Your examples are good; but there is more to it. The WPBA has always had a "Player of the Year". The current rankings are basically just a "Player of the Year" scorecard; and do NOT realistically describe who is the "Number One Player".

As in many individual sports, the "Number One Player" is usually calculated on a rolling average over 1-2 years (ie: tennis, golf). Why the WPBA chose to abandon this approach is anyone's guess......and that is definitely an interesting topic for discussion
 
Last edited:
Pjadedd said:
The rankings are only based on the previous 4 tournaments, so one bad result can really hurt you. According to the WPBA's homepage, the rankings will go like this:

1. K. Fisher
2. Corr
3. (tie) Pan and Kim
5. Ellerby
6. A. Fisher


PJ

Wow, one bad day and you take a huge plunge. Sad to see Ellerby gain so much.... so much for Karma.
 
cuechick said:
Wow, one bad day and you take a huge plunge. Sad to see Ellerby gain so much.... so much for Karma.

this is the second time you expressed your liking for Ellerby.You may be next in her list. heee,heeee:D :D :cool: :D :D
 
Back
Top