Kentucky guy from All Star's days?

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was wondering if anyone had seen Beryl, is that the correct spelling?

The times I saw him was at the Lexington All stars and he was either playing Shannon, or getting in on action. He always ran around with his wife and seemed to have a lot of gamble in him.

Shannon used to give him the world, so I never really knew how he played.
 
Beryl has not been in good health as of late. The last time I saw him was DCC last year. I was hoping to see him this year but I don't think he made it. I think he settled in Miss. as of late.

One thing is for sure, Beryl Gabbard has huge gamble and knows the game. If he is on one side of the bet you would be wise to sweat his side.
 
I don't know about that

Ktown D said:
Beryl has not been in good health as of late. The last time I saw him was DCC last year. I was hoping to see him this year but I don't think he made it. I think he settled in Miss. as of late.

One thing is for sure, Beryl Gabbard has huge gamble and knows the game. If he is on one side of the bet you would be wise to sweat his side.


The first time I saw Beryl hit a ball was in Richmond,Ky. at Brock's tournament. He was giving 13 year old Shannon Daulton the 8 and getting beat. Shannon was playing and his Dad was side-betting 3-400 a game. Shannon was betting $100 a game when we left. I saw Beryl play several times in Lexington after that. He definitely had some gamble in him. I was told he owned a bunch of coal mines and thats where he got his money.
 
Berle Gabbard

He didnt make it to DCC this year. He had been having health problems due to a botched operation at a hospital. When he was younger he spent a lot of time in the pool world of Chicago.

the Beard

His first name is spelled, Berle.
 

Attachments

  • Berle AZ.jpg
    Berle AZ.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 1,027
u12armresl said:
I was wondering if anyone had seen Beryl, is that the correct spelling?

The times I saw him was at the Lexington All stars and he was either playing Shannon, or getting in on action. He always ran around with his wife and seemed to have a lot of gamble in him.

Shannon used to give him the world, so I never really knew how he played.

At the 2003 DCC in Louisville, Berle came and was right in the thick of it. This was the year that Eric Durbin was rumored to have pocketed 50 big ones, and everybody was after him, trying to get a piece of his winnings. ;)

After a 3-hour barkfest with Berle and Eric, trying to get Eric to play Keith McCready for 10 sand bags, Eric finally agreed. He said he'd have to go back to his room and would return. We waited about a half hour, and Eric sent a representative on his behalf downstairs to say he wasn't going to play, that he had, in fact, sent most of his monies home via Western Union.

Then the barkfest started all over again. Young Gun Amar Kang was bellowing out, "I'll play anyone in here for whatever you want." Shannon was trying his hardest to get in on this action, stating, "Why don't we all put up a thousand bucks, play a tournament with ourselves, and then we'll see who the best 9-ball player is in the land?" There was a long pregnant pause, to which Shannon, not missing a beat, responded, "It's so damn quiet in here, you could hear a field mouse pissing on a cotton ball."

Finally, Alex Pagulayan had a backers committee who wanted to put him in the pit against Keith, with Berle backing Keith. The side betting took longer than the match-up itself. When it was all said and done, Alex barbecued Keith in less than a half hour, spotting him the 7, I think, in 10-ball. Here's a picture of Berle directing traffic right before the games began.

JAM
 

Attachments

  • Berle directing traffic.JPG
    Berle directing traffic.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,046
Another picture taken the same year of Keith, Berle, and "Big Sue"!

JAM
 

Attachments

  • keith berle and sue.JPG
    keith berle and sue.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,039
This is Berle and his Daughter

My name is Bonnie Gabbard I am the daughter of Berle Gabbard we have been reading some of the stories and the quotes here online and we wanted to give u all a update about Berle. Currently he has been diagnosed with Lou Gherrings Disease and doesn't have a chance of living much longer so We wanted to share some stories He said he ran the roads with all the huslters and he was born in Beelick Ky. Fastest hustler that ever shit between a pair of pants legs came straight out of beelick ky lol. he has been in pool rooms since 11 yrs old and by the time he was 14 he had prob been to everytown in ky. But I left KY when i was 17 yrs old to go to coast of n.c. They had one of the best players in the country they call barefoot there he never wore shoes in his life i ran w him his name was sunny leggett. they had a barn setup with a brunswick pool table in it, they was giving out moonshine free of charge and advertising the great sunny legget as best pool player in the world and that brought all the farmers there we proceeded to get into a 15 handed 9 ball game everyone did it just to say that they played w the great sunny leggett at $1 and$2 game we won $1000 to $1500. This is a true story that is the most people i ever heard or had in a ring game
 
Freddy The Beard

In my mind i consider Freddy doing more for pool than anyone out there today.Cause he tells it like is he knew me real well around Chicago but never knew anything about my road action and the way I done it. At one time a tournament in johnson city was going in the 60's me and my partner drove 2 hrs south of there in some town close to mcclure IL whiler the tournament was going on and I won more money off that high roller there than they paid out at the johnson city tournament.

You know Freddy is good for the game of pool he knows alot about it but he don't know the cruel side i existed in bar world, bc i played some of all games not just pool. Freddy is a friend to everyone that is a friend to him so bank on brother.. I hate to go out this way with this disease but I may find a way to beat it with a combination drug if not see u in the pool heaven or hell wherever people like u and I go.
Berle sd freddy is right about one thing binsingers billiards in chicago is like going into yale lock company with all the locks locked and u searching for one key out of a thousand trying to unlock no chance lol
 
My name is Bonnie Gabbard I am the daughter of Berle Gabbard we have been reading some of the stories and the quotes here online and we wanted to give u all a update about Berle. Currently he has been diagnosed with Lou Gherrings Disease and doesn't have a chance of living much longer so We wanted to share some stories He said he ran the roads with all the huslters and he was born in Beelick Ky. Fastest hustler that ever shit between a pair of pants legs came straight out of beelick ky lol. he has been in pool rooms since 11 yrs old and by the time he was 14 he had prob been to everytown in ky. But I left KY when i was 17 yrs old to go to coast of n.c. They had one of the best players in the country they call barefoot there he never wore shoes in his life i ran w him his name was sunny leggett. they had a barn setup with a brunswick pool table in it, they was giving out moonshine free of charge and advertising the great sunny legget as best pool player in the world and that brought all the farmers there we proceeded to get into a 15 handed 9 ball game everyone did it just to say that they played w the great sunny leggett at $1 and$2 game we won $1000 to $1500. This is a true story that is the most people i ever heard or had in a ring game

Hi, Bonnie. I am so sorry to hear about your father. He called our home a month or so ago and spoke to Keith McCready. I talked to him as well. He told us he was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's. At that time, he was hoping to get a consult with a doctor out of State. I hope that he is not suffering or in any pain.

Please let him know that he is in my prayers.
 
Are u sure that is 'Big Sue' ? To me, she looks like Diane. I don`t know.:confused:

That's what Keith called her, but I'll verify when he wakes up. She was very nice. As I recall, she was part Native American, which was something she and I had in common. :smile:
 
That's what Keith called her, but I'll verify when he wakes up. She was very nice. As I recall, she was part Native American, which was something she and I had in common. :smile:

I met sue many years ago.But the lady in the picture did not look like sue.She looked like another lady named Diane.
 
Last edited:
thew picture

just tpo verify that picture is of diane crane not my mother big sue my father berle is trying to feel better but as the days go i watch him get worse he wants to write a bpook and i know that if we can get the start on ithe has one hell of a story please look for it in the futre i will let u know if we get it completed
 
@jam

Yes i will tell my dad that he did call and spoke to keith i remeber him telling me that please keep him in ur prayers as his condition worsens by the day
 
Hello there Berle. Tough to hear about your illness. I wish you well and all the luck in the world!

I see that someone mentioned that you were in the coal business. I wonder if you happen to be related to Bob Gabbard. He owned Gabbard Coal, or something like that. I knew him from the days when I used to work at the Red Mile racetrack in Lexington.

Again, I wish you a speedy recovery!
 
picture

That is diane crane in that picture with my dad and keith not my mom big sue she is not in the best health right now but she is still around
 
Back
Top