Lag question

Mr Slate

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Silver Member
Two players lag for the break. The balls hit the far rail and come back. The winning ball (closest to the starting rail) has crossed over the long center of the table but does not touch the other ball. Is this a legal lag or a foul?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Legal. I have seen a player lag and his ball scratched in the corner. He lost the lag. :)
I have also seen two players lag and their balls hit each other. Lag over.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
According to the WSR's a lag is bad if it crosses the long string (Rule 1.2b under general rules). Therefore, if the other lag is a good lag, it is the winner by default.

Link to rule

When looking this up I noticed another aspect of the rules which was interesting. It says that the players should lag again if one player's ball is struck AFTER the other player's ball touches the foot cushion. I'm sure I've seen this happen on several occasions but have never seen a referee call for a re-lag in this situation.

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
According to the WSR's a lag is bad if it crosses the long string (Rule 1.2b under general rules). Therefore, if the other lag is a good lag, it is the winner by default.

Link to rule

When looking this up I noticed another aspect of the rules which was interesting. It says that the players should lag again if one player's ball is struck AFTER the other player's ball touches the foot cushion. I'm sure I've seen this happen on several occasions but have never seen a referee call for a re-lag in this situation.

Great link. I did not know the long string rule.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
NewStroke, in the APA (in which I know you play in), despite what the WSR's say, the lag is legal as long as it doesn't make contact with a side rail or the opponents lagged ball. Then there is another disqualification factor that seems to cause the MOST arguments, and that is if the lagged ball comes to rest on the shelf inside the pocket (but has NOT touched any side rail) and is inside of the head rail. Most people seem to believe that this is a legal lag when in fact it is not. I ain't lookin' up the link to the rule. I'm busy babysittin' one of my grandkids (the "high-maintenance" child).

Maniac

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Correct. If the ball comes to rest inside the jaws of the corner pocket with any part of the ball beyond the edge of the head cushion, it is illegal.
Steve