Largest Pool Halls in the USA?

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Five years ago, the city was quite safe. Safest it's been since I moved to Washington in the late 1990s. The good schools are also good schools. And it actually is a pretty, livable city in many parts. Lots of greenery, no big skyscrapers.

Then the pandemic happened, and George Floyd. The city has regressed mightily for all the reasons astute readers would expect.

Wework, of all places, killed off the biggest DC pool room, Buffalo Billiards, in 2019. BB got priced out after a 25-year run. Shame, too, because now there's lots of empty real estate.

I don't see much chance of a new and big pool room opening in DC.
I was there only once, in the mid 1980s working security for a speaker at a big Right to Life rally there. I had a couple free days to explore. I generally avoid tourist areas when I'm in an unfamiliar city, opting for checking out the neighborhoods instead. In general I thought it was pretty much of a sh**hole. Not as bad as Gary, IN, but on a par with 1970s Jersey City or modern day Detroit. Maybe I just gravitate toward the wrong neighborhoods. 😬

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
Man. the jukebox is so loud where I play it’s hard to play when it’s quiet now.
And they have a dj Friday and Saturday nights.

Rickhem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My job sends me to our location in Shreveport occasionally. I was there in 2018, and again in 2020 during Covid.
There was a place called Side Pockets that had a room full of bar boxes, easily over 30 of them. They had a couple 9 footers that seemed to be one pocket games whenever I was there. I think they do a big 9-ball tournament a couple times each year that brings in some big names. Nice place, and friendly people, I felt very welcome there.

Hoser

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
22 diamonds at Shooters in Port St. Lucie FL 10 9's and 12 7'S
1706304544616.png

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know if it is still that way, but McGoo's in Tulsa had a live music stage adjacent to the pool room as well. A few years back I was spending some time checking out pool rooms between Texas and Wisconsin, and I spent a few pleasant days at McGoo's. As soon as the band opened up on Saturday night, though, I was out of there, and on my way to Wichita the next morning.

Miller Time Billiards in Davenport Iowa did live music in a separate area of the building many (35) years ago - maybe still do. Although you could hear it in the pool room it wasn't obtrusive or maybe I was still young enough to fade it. :)
No more bands at Magoo's thank god. That area is full of pinball machines. Seems that pb has made a huge comeback. Tables:10 9'GC4's, 1 9'ProAm, 2 old 9' D'mond Pros, 10 D'mond bb's, 6 Valley bb's, 1 10' old B'wick golf table.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chandley’s in Statesville, NC had 50+ tables. One huge rectangular room that looked like it used to be a supermarket, with no atmosphere at all. They were open for maybe 2-3 years before shutting down 6–7 years ago.
Chandley’s was one strange place. It looked like it was setup to close from the beginning. To even consider a pool hall of that size in a town of 9000 people was nuts.

I used to go to the 24 hour coffee house everytime I went to Asheville. The folks in there knew it would never survive.

I looked in and it looked like you could shut it down and clean it out in a weekend. Nothing on the walls, fold up chairs and a small bar.

Honestly don’t think they were there two years but I could be wrong.,

Asheville with a much larger, wealthier population and UNCA used to have three pool rooms, now they might have one. Arden may still have Fat Cats but Chandley’s was a loser from the get go.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
As a pool hall owner myself, I am curious to find out the largest active pool halls across the USA. Everyone knows that Q-masters is the largest with 75 tables. But what about some others? Breaktime Billiards in Wilmington NC (My place) currently has 35 tables and honestly it's not enough so we're planning on adding 15 to 20 more in the very near future.

Reply to this thread with the largest in your area or if your aware of a large pool hall.

Thanks
Jim
I love Breaktime! I shoot there everytime I come down to see friends (2-3 times per year). I hope you're planning to add some more 9 footers...:)

Clusterbuster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Diamonds in the Highlands in Louisville closed after Covid and re-opened under a new owner as The Railyard. They more than doubled the number of tables. It now has more than 30 Diamond bar boxes and maybe half a dozen 9 footers.