lathe question need some help please

rackemky

have a industrial full size wood lathe in garage could someone guide me in what to do to be able to do shaft work re tips with it?

thanks
jonathan

louisville, ky

btoneill

Keeper of the Cheese
Silver Member
Best bet would be to ask in the "Cue Machinery and Supplies" forum here.

Brian

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
There are some youtube videos on stuff like this also.

btoneill is all over it...the other forum section is where you need to be. Someone recently posted a list of three different suppliers of videos you can buy that cover everything from the basics to more advanced cuemaking techniques.

Good luck.

mnShooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Checkout http://www.cuesmith.com/. He's got most everything you will need to get started. You will need a live center and a chuck and set of pins. Also sandpaper, super glue, epoxy, shapers, alcohol, sealer and tips.

Forgot the most important part. Always make sure both ends of the shaft are supported. If the live center is not on the tip end always hold it with your hand. Otherwise you will be buying a new shaft.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
1. Decent chuck

2. Steady rest

3. Various threaded pins

4. Jacobs chuck

5. Live center

What size is the headstock spindle?

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Forgot the most important part. Always make sure both ends of the shaft are supported. If the live center is not on the tip end always hold it with your hand. Otherwise you will be buying a new shaft.

Wow, all I can say is Wow.
I'm speechless. Like Wow.

SK Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
have a industrial full size wood lathe in garage could someone guide me in what to do to be able to do shaft work re tips with it?

thanks
jonathan

louisville, ky

Good Luck. Get a Hightower. About the only thing you are gonna be able to do is sand. The good thing about this is you can save it for if you have a refinish job or something, but anything to do with installing joint pins, tip / ferrule work is not gonna happen unless you do like Bebot Bautista.

master_cueist

pick your poison
Silver Member
someone correct me if im wrong because i by far am no cue builder or expert but i do know a few things about wood working machines and im fairly suprised nobody else brought this up. How OLD is the lathe? if you have an older full sized lathe they are beasts, there are very few things you can actually finish on one of those...like a bat or something maybe. Most guys i know that have one that big that do like table legs and things of that sort also have a smaller precision lathe to finish it on especially a pool cue thats why if you look at an actual pool cue lathe they are fairly small and you can fine tune the rpms and speed. If its a new full size industrial one then maybe im not too sure ive never used one but i think they are a little better than old ones...might be something to look into before you go tearing into $1000 dollar cues

rackemky

its a giant total shop brand lathe all in one machine seems tru didnt know if it could be done or not? i have like a input shaft at the motor and a some other stuff no chuck or steady rest though. dont and prolly wont have $600 or more cash to spend on a repair lathe. just curious mainly all its got to do is turn really im putting tips on cues mainly friends and personal say like 50 and way under. where broke mofos

SK Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mainly all its got to do is turn really

There is one very important thing you don't seem to understand and you won't get it until you see it for yourself.

You would be better off learning how to do tips by hand, and the turning of aspect of the lathe is not all there is to it.

Since you sound like you need to be convinced, watch one of those tip installation videos on youtube and ask yourself how you would get that same set up and capability with your wood lathe.

Then, watch some of Bebot's videos. I guarantee you a skewchiegouge isn't the answer you're looking for.

Good luck to you.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
its a giant total shop brand lathe all in one machine seems tru didnt know if it could be done or not? i have like a input shaft at the motor and a some other stuff no chuck or steady rest though. dont and prolly wont have $600 or more cash to spend on a repair lathe. just curious mainly all its got to do is turn really im putting tips on cues mainly friends and personal say like 50 and way under. where broke mofos

Sounds like you might have a Shopsmith, or clone.

Is the shaft 5/8?

The short answer is:
if the motor spins, you can use it to do tips, and you can do
a great tip job - IF you are clever enough<or know someone who is>.

You can PM me if you want details.

Dale<who often holds the shaft in his hand>

rackemky

There is one very important thing you don't seem to understand and you won't get it until you see it for yourself.

You would be better off learning how to do tips by hand, and the turning of aspect of the lathe is not all there is to it.

Since you sound like you need to be convinced, watch one of those tip installation videos on youtube and ask yourself how you would get that same set up and capability with your wood lathe.

Then, watch some of Bebot's videos. I guarantee you a skewchiegouge isn't the answer you're looking for.

Good luck to you.
hey basiclly its a project and for business i know what you mean for sure, i make $56 dollars a week what about you> ? thats the difference

rackemky

hey basiclly its a project and for business i know what you mean for sure, i make $56 dollars a week what about you> ? thats the difference

HOLY **** that bebot dude makes em rustic cave man style. do people buy his cues? lol i guess they all started out that way early on just with real artists hands and knowhow and maybe slightly better equipment. yea im not patient or perfect enough to build cues never will be its an art. putting on tips is a project for fun for me till i can get some funds together.

rackemky

Sounds like you might have a Shopsmith, or clone.

Is the shaft 5/8?

The short answer is:
if the motor spins, you can use it to do tips, and you can do
a great tip job - IF you are clever enough<or know someone who is>.

You can PM me if you want details.

Dale<who often holds the shaft in his hand>

yea it is a clone to a shop smith a total shop they vanished from the earth like 20 years ago i think it was free trying to make use of the the half ton bahemith

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Rackem, what do think you could get for that if you sold it.
Todd, and I can't remember his AZ name right now, makes a very nice and inexpensive repair lathe. Add a few bucks to that and you might be closer to buying one than you think.

A wood lathe can be used for sanding or finishing, thats what they do best
in a cue makers shop. Yours will take up too much real estate.

And what Bebot can do on a wood lathe, I doubt anyone else can do or they'd actually want to. And all inlays done by hand by his son. Between the both of them, totally amazing when you see the finished product. His tool rest is the total length of the lathe bed.

Sell that monster and get in touch with Todd. You can have that paid for in no time at all.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rackem, what do think you could get for that if you sold it.
Todd, and I can't remember his AZ name right now, makes a very nice and inexpensive repair lathe. Add a few bucks to that and you might be closer to buying one than you think.

A wood lathe can be used for sanding or finishing, thats what they do best
in a cue makers shop. Yours will take up too much real estate.

And what Bebot can do on a wood lathe, I doubt anyone else can do or they'd actually want to. And all inlays done by hand by his son. Between the both of them, totally amazing when you see the finished product. His tool rest is the total length of the lathe bed.

Sell that monster and get in touch with Todd. You can have that paid for in no time at all.

Not a bad plan except for the part about the OP has NOOOOO money,
and the machine he has couldn't be sold for more than $10.

Dale

roberthans

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tools

If you have cabinet grade plywood or stable hardwood and a few other wood working tools you can build some of the rests and guides you need to do tips. Be creative. You may be surprised at what you can develop and build for your machine. However, practice and experiment on some junk shafts first. You need to check every place the shaft is near your lathe for marks or burns. Even use magnification to check and make sure you haven't in anyway affected the finish.