Layered Tips

shooter_Hans

No mushroom and as one layer starts to wear another one forms. Well, that's what to expect but in reality it is just to prevent mushrooming. Therefore, if you shoot with soft tips then get layered tips. If you normally should with a hard tip then a layered tip doesn't do anything.

No mushroom and as one layer starts to wear another one forms.
But it doesn't really work like that, right? I mean there's always two or three layers exposed and sometimes there's that sharp gap between them. That's what doesn't make sense.

I guess if the anti-mushrooming is true, that's a decent reason.

Zerksies

The reason i am using a layered tip is consistency.

I used LePro's for years. Good hitting tip when you found the right one. The downside is I would go through 3-4 tips to find the "right" one.

Now take the Kamui layered tips that i am using right now. I've probably gone through 8-10 tips on two shafts in the past few years ( i average about 3-4 months on a tip) and every single tip hits exactly the same. Not one variance in feel to them. Not a single one of them was a bad tip.

In pool consistency is a very good thing.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But it doesn't really work like that, right? I mean there's always two or three layers exposed and sometimes there's that sharp gap between them. That's what doesn't make sense.

I guess if the anti-mushrooming is true, that's a decent reason.
Been using them since Moori's first hit and i've NEVER had one issue with glue lines/gaps. Never. Ultraskins are the best deal out there, 10 for 30bux and the play/last great. I still like a good Triangle but you might go thru five to get one decent one.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Oscar the Grouch | The Daily Omnivore

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn’t put a 1 piece tip on my cue again if it was free. The layered tips are way better.

From an installation standpoint, I wouldn’t install a one piece tip if a customer paid me double. Just a complete waste of time going through a bunch of bad ones to find the “magic good ones”.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
As an installer I have had a handful of bad layered tips the customer never heard about. If one layer is bad the tip is bad.

The nice thing about single layer tips is that I can buy all of the test equipment I need for them for under fifty dollars, was under thirty when I bought mine but I haven't looked at prices lately.

Anyway, I measure the diameter of the first tip I grab in a box. Lock the calipers there and use them as a gauge for the other tips, a few seconds a tip. Measure the height of one tip, lock the calipers again, gauge the height of the rest of the tips. These two measurements have never uncovered an issue, just prep for weighing the tips. Out of an under forty cents each, box of single layer tips I did turn up nine super light tips, call it three dollars and sixty cents gone to hell when I tossed them. Four very heavy tips, curious so these were put to the side too, for personal install and testing. Another $1.60 gone.

I consider that a very high loss rate. Even so I have 37 tested good tips. Every customer was happy and I have a lifetime supply of tips left over after a hurricane got my shop.

Hu

Last edited:

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
I developed a very simple and very effective method for single layer tips. I tap them on a hard surface and can tell if they're any good, and how hard they will be by the sound.
Also, inspect the grain of the leather at the base of the tip. The ones without any cracking or creases are generally better.

8bBHBIt.jpeg