League players! Good Shot or Bad?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shooter’s bridge hand is on the rail. He isn’t shooting to draw the CB.
This is the kind of shot that you’re not going to get any consensus here or anywhere as to whether or not it was a foul / double hit. Only a close-up video in super slow motion would be necessary to make the call with absolute certainty.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just because you gleefully double-hit cueballs, it's still a foul

Physically impossible to avoid the double-hit unless you shoot away
Read the original post. “Opponent plays the shot as shown in the video, jacked up and shooting away from the 8.” The cue ball goes nearly straight up-table just like it did when I gleefully tried it.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Read the original post. “Opponent plays the shot as shown in the video, jacked up and shooting away from the 8.” The cue ball goes nearly straight up-table just like it did when I gleefully tried it.

The cue ball didn’t really go nearly straight up table. Nor was he shooting away from the 8. He was simply shooting away from the target line which isn‘t the same thing.

If you watch carefully, it went forward almost a half diamond. It never started on the tangent line as it would have had there not been a double hit.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look closely at the angle the 2 balls are sitting at before the shot. If you are truly shooting away from the 8-ball, the cue ball would be heading up the table on the tangent line towards the 7 ball / the top left corner pocket, as opposed to starting out heading towards the foot spot, which is virtually 45° forward of the tangent line of the two balls. This is why it is a foul.

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
OP isn't shooting away from the 8, I noted this as well in another reply

geoff_182

Might have been a foul because of the elevated cue (stopping the CB from getting out of the way fast enough), but it doesn't have to be. I think there's enough available cut angle that you could hit the shot legally with a nearly level cue - maybe even more angle than shown here, allowing for throw.

pj
chgo

View attachment 672268
I agree with this. Aim towards the 9 ball, and the throw should about counteract with the cut angle. It's possible though that you might need a bit of right spin to help throw it a bit more, but I don't even think that is necessary.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
If you are truly shooting away from the 8-ball, the cue ball would be heading up the table on the tangent line towards the 7 ball / the top left corner pocket, as opposed to starting out heading towards the foot spot, which is virtually 45° forward of the tangent line of the two balls. This is why it is a foul.
Unless the CB hops into the OB (very likely), which will increase the carom angle (the OB direction will be corrected by throw).

pj
chgo

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hold on folks...This not a 2 dimensional shot. He is 'jacked up' and a high speed camera would show the cue ball jump up. If you think 3 dimensional, it does not take much elevation to have the cue ball go high enough to seemingly change the tangent line. Think jump shot.

This shot in any case is not a foul because you cannot determine absolutely a foul. Call goes to the shooter.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It looks good to me. He hit down on the CB and away from the 8. I didn’t hear a double hit.
I think there was no double hit because the tip was still on the cue ball when the cue ball hit the 8. It's still a foul.

As for the chance of the cue ball jumping to take the forward angle that it did, it would have to barely skim the 8 ball to take that angle from a jump. The 8 moved too fast.

Smutzc

My favorite thing to do if some one asks me to watch for a good hit, pull out the iPhone and put it in slow motion and record. If they don’t believe what I say I just let the two parties watch and settle it for themselves.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
I think you *could* shoot it clean. But the shot in the video was a foul. The cue ball went a bit forward. Here’s a try in super slow mo that looks better. Cue ball stays on the tangent line.

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Round 2! How about this one?

I work nights and have been asleep all day. Just got up and did it again.

IMO, the first video was a blatant foul based on the path of the CB. How would you call this one? Same setup. Same aim line.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Foul.

The cue ball moved a full half ball forward of the tangent line after contacting the object ball before the backspin took hold.

Again though, many league players are not going to recognize that.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

IMO, the first video was a blatant foul based on the path of the CB. How would you call this one? Same setup. Same aim line.
Probably a foul.

If you want to understand the difference between foul and fair, set the shot up between the side pockets where you have more room. Instead of the shot where the cue ball is a mm or two from the object ball, bring it back an inch or so along the line of the stick you plan to use. See what the path of the cue ball looks like in that setup for your masse shot. Now gradually bring the cue ball forward, trying shots at each smaller distance, and always using the same fullness you chose at the start.

To better see the initial forward penetration, put a second object ball a little forward of the expected path of the cue ball. If you don't hit that ball with the cue ball back a little but do hit it with the cue ball close, you are fouling with the cue ball close. Alternatively, set up the camera for a better view, like along the perpendicular to the path of the OB and on the other side.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Certainly a much harder call on this one. Because of the direction of the cue ball starting out, I most likely would not call this one a foul. A more knowledgeable / trained ref might still rule this one a foul.

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably a foul.

If you want to understand the difference between foul and fair, set the shot up between the side pockets where you have more room. Instead of the shot where the cue ball is a mm or two from the object ball, bring it back an inch or so along the line of the stick you plan to use. See what the path of the cue ball looks like in that setup for your masse shot. Now gradually bring the cue ball forward, trying shots at each smaller distance, and always using the same fullness you chose at the start.

To better see the initial forward penetration, put a second object ball a little forward of the expected path of the cue ball. If you don't hit that ball with the cue ball back a little but do hit it with the cue ball close, you are fouling with the cue ball close. Alternatively, set up the camera for a better view, like along the perpendicular to the path of the OB and on the other side.
Dang it, Bob. You and your right answers taking all the fun out of the conversation. 😂 I agree with you. Still a foul based on the CB’s initial path. It does draw back in the second video, but for a split second before the draw takes you can see that the CB is pushed through the tangent line.

For context, this was not my match, but a teammate’s match. My teammate was the one shooting the 8. I was 100% sure she was going to foul, but she actually hit an absolutely perfect soft nip masse type shot and avoided the foul. I set the shot up after and couldn’t hit it without fouling. Funny thing is, NOBODY on either team saw anything wrong with the shots I was shooting and were completely confused when I told them I was fouling the CB. Including the girl who just hit the shot legally!

Last edited: