Learning Carom Billiards

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in Europe, the traditional way to 3 cushion is to learn to play straight rail first.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Learning Straight Rail is probably the best way to start. I believe most of the worlds best went down this path. Learning how to make caroms is critical and the small games teach you the nuances at close quarters where you can see the interactions.

How old are you? How much time do you have left in this world.

Another route is setting up specific shots and practicing them over and over and over.
Master the basic shots then work on their cousins. Learn a couple of systems and have them become second nature. 5 System, Short Angle, Plus 2. Master tickies. Maybe explore clocking.

Now for practice play 1 rail. My rule is 1 rail only, no more. This will help you not only to let your stroke out (more than straight rail) but will help to learn how to get to the second rail in 3C. In this case the second ball is the second rail so to speak. If you pay attention it will also teach you a speed speed control and if you really pay attention it can help develop position play skills. In 3C the shot is done after the second rail hit.

That's my 2c

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What is the best game/method/way to learn carom (i.e. 3 cushion) billiards?

A lot of playing carom billiards well is knowledge. If there are no good players where you play (and even if there are), I recommend getting Robert Byrne's books starting with his "New Standard Book of Pool and Billiards" which has the best explanation in English of the major ideas and kinds of shots.

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in addition , short about the tables, cues and balls :

-when you start to learn carom, if you can, best is to avoid to play on 10' / 3m10 tables .
If you have the choice,then start by playing on a 8' table (2m60, like in belgium) or 9' table (2m80, like in france) : the bigger the table is, the less tolerance to errors/mistakes.

- about the balls, remember than to clean the balls during the game/practice is very, verrrry important !!!! The quality and the cleaning of the balls is very important in the carom games . (especially on the straight rail/balkline game , else you'll enjoy some weird results of follow shots)

-about the cues, best is learn the game with a carom cue. At least,a carom shaft.
If you start to learn the game by the traditional way -straight rail- , start with a cue around 17oz , but not more than 17.5oz , with a tip diameter from 11mm to 11.5mm at max .
If you choose to start directly to the 3 cushion game , then 18oz to 18.5oz should be fine. diameter of the tip 12mm .

Last edited:

Dean_H

luv the small modalities
Silver Member
I am learning both games at the same time. I believe that some things you learn in one discipline compliments the other, while some things in one discipline are totally foreign to the other.

If I practice billiards I find it easier to start with practicing Straight rail first and then play three cushion. If you play three cushion first it is hard to get the right stroke for straight rail afterward.

I agree with Erriep that it is easier to learn both disciplines if you have two cues designed for each discipline seperatly. For example I have a Buffalo cue with an 11mm tip for use in straight rail while I have a Hanbat cue with a 12.5 mm tip for 3c.

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member
What is the best game/method/way to learn carom (i.e. 3 cushion) billiards?

-Freegame (Straight-Rail, in good ol' USA)

then either straight to Cushion Caroms (one-cushion) OR

-Balkline Billiards of
    then

- Cushion Caroms (one-cushion)

finally

-Three-Cushion Billiards

That's pretty much the route....

illusivetrout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Make it a point to find a room with some tables and watch the experienced players.Buy some dvds and get into the minds of top players and learn their solutions to seemingly difficult shots.Like Sang Lee said,"you no sit,you play".

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Make it a point to find a room with some tables and watch the experienced players.Buy some dvds and get into the minds of top players and learn their solutions to seemingly difficult shots.Like Sang Lee said,"you no sit,you play".
Sang Lee said,"you no sit,you play".

What a great quote!