left english vs right english

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For straight english strokes, the sensation is nearly identical. For twist english strokes, most right-handers find it easier to supinate the stroke hand wrist than to pronate it.
What are twist english strokes? I hope it's not just another word for swooping.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
After believing I had thought about or heard every question there is about pool suddenly I realize I have never once considered this one. It all looks, feels and results the same to me no matter the side.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi everyone, does anybody else find it more difficult to put on the english required from one side and also find it easier to put on english from the other? this also causes you to have more difficulty potting balls when using english from your weak side. (my weak side is left english).
assuming you have found your correct head position over the cue, why would this happen?
Try this. It may give a better perspective of swerve and throw. Put an object ball 2 feet from the pocket. Now place the cue ball 4 feet from the object ball so it is a straight in shot. Practice shooting with both right and left english while stopping the cue ball in its place.

This not a shot you will use but it will show where you are aiming incorrectly.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Try this. It may give a better perspective of swerve and throw. Put an object ball 2 feet from the pocket. Now place the cue ball 4 feet from the object ball so it is a straight in shot. Practice shooting with both right and left english while stopping the cue ball in its place.

Good idea. If that turns out to be too hard, use 1 diamond and 2 diamond distances until you can accurately hit a stop shot with spin. And vary the spin and speed.

Reactions: bbb

z0nt0n3r

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say then their is a flaw in your stroke that needs to be fixed
it's most likely my aim because for a couple of years my vision centre was offline (too far to my right) , so i was perceiving slight right english as center ball. so when i wanted to put on slight left english many times i was actually hitting center ball with no spin.
now that i have moved my vision centre online i have fixed the issue but i think that years of offline alignment/wrong perception have made it more difficult for me to get used to stroking with left english, especially if i want to put on a big amount of it, so i think what sometimes happens is when i want to put on more than 1 tip of left english, sometimes i'm not actually aiming on that spot, i'm aiming with less left english than i think and then i put on more spin on the final stroke.

sometimes flaws are hard to get rid of especially if you've been doing it for years, so you need a lot of practice to completely remove them from your game.

z0nt0n3r

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i will give it a try, this will expose any flaws i have

z0nt0n3r

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it's most likely my aim because for a couple of years my vision centre was offline (too far to my right) , so i was perceiving slight right english as center ball. so when i wanted to put on slight left english many times i was actually hitting center ball with no spin.
now that i have moved my vision centre online i have fixed the issue but i think that years of offline alignment/wrong perception have made it more difficult for me to get used to stroking with left english, especially if i want to put on a big amount of it, so i think what sometimes happens is when i want to put on more than 1 tip of left english, sometimes i'm not actually aiming on that spot, i'm aiming with less left english than i think and then i put on more spin on the final stroke.

sometimes flaws are hard to get rid of especially if you've been doing it for years, so you need a lot of practice to completely remove them from your game.
also in addition to the flaw i had, as mentioned here, most players have a weak and a strong side so maybe this is also contributing to problems. i think this happens because most players have optical illusions which is normal because nobody can see perfectly.

Zerksies

Your vison center has nothing to do with how you strike the ball

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Another confident pronouncement about something you know nothing of...

Most players, right or left handed, know better than to use "twist english strokes".

pj <- lol, I guess
chgo
Reports from the field claim that you play poorly. However, shooting a 3-minute video with your phone will disprove those claims.

I recently spent another long weekend with Tom Kennedy and our students. TK's Fargo rating is 743 (?), and he uses english on nearly every stroke. For certain shots only, he employs a wrist twist to gain an angle of approach, which can help with the initial direction of the cue ball. That's physics and is undeniable.

Stop repeating canards like "everyone knows better" since there are limited times when a wrist twist can be beneficial for players at your level of play up to TK's level.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Your vison center has nothing to do with how you strike the ball
An oversimplification: If you perceive a cut angle incorrectly, your subconscious can adjust the cue to pocket the ball. VC over the shot line will help improve your stroke over time.

Zerksies

Saying from the guy that can't hit english properly. I think you guys have all this vision center all mixed up as to what it really is. One guy does a video on this and all of you think you are going to be ball pocketing kings if this one thing is fixed.

z0nt0n3r

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saying from the guy that can't hit english properly. I think you guys have all this vision center all mixed up as to what it really is. One guy does a video on this and all of you think you are going to be ball pocketing kings if this one thing is fixed.
what does my playing level have to do with if i'm able to detect a flaw or not?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

It will also show how far off you need to adjust (aim) to account for the spin.