Lest we forget - mark wilson

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As controversy rages over Johann Ryusink's appointment as Team USA Mosconi Cup Captain, I think that we should spare a thought for his predecessor.

Mark Wilson was not a failure. True, his three year tenure of the job did not produce any victories but his performance needs to be judged on a wider basis.

Had he seen a written synopsis of what the job entailed he might have had second thoughts about taking it.. The term Coach would normally mean that person spending table time with the players, honing their game and working on their mental state.
But the role that occupied Mark for most of the generous amount of time that he contributed was Team Manager. He spent much of his time trying to fund the project.

Navy Seal Training and involvement in the BCA Show plus Coaching Clinics were things that he instituted to try and raise the profile of Team USA. With nominal financial support from Matchroom.

He was a staunch supporter of my Pool Awareness Week at a time when the game in the US was a step away from dying It is a testimony to Mark's efforts that pool still exists in America today.

Coupled with the fact that he was never really able to guarantee who would make up his team until deep into the Fall then the size of his task was enormous. This was made worse by the fact that coaching players is his forte and his credentials are comparable to Johann's in that respect. The Dutchman has a strong record of being able to motivate players but that is just a by product of getting them to improve their skills allowing them to grow in confidence.

I hope Johann does not fall into the same trap and that he immediately assembles a cast of contenders who can benefit from his considerable ability. F*** the Mosconi points and all that B*******s, this is too important. It needs to start now, not in September.

Meanwhile, I would like you to all support Mark Wilson as I am sure that he will still be pursuing his quest to improve the game from the grassroots up.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Mark remains a shining example in American pool, a role model. Anyone who can't see that needs to take a closer look.

Chops02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark is truly a shining example of what a true teacher of the game is. i had the pleasure of meeting him at our local pool room several years back. a buddy of mine and i were playing snooker and Mark just came over after he was done teaching for the night and asked if he could join. that couple hours shooting with Mark and listening to his stories about trips to the UK and his other pool travels was absolutely awesome. not sure you'll ever find a nicer guy in the pool world nor a better teacher. if you ever have an opportunity to spend any time with Mark or take a lesson or two from him you should definitely take it. great guy, and i wish him nothing but the best in his efforts to continue to grow this game.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
If more pool players had Mark's attitude and personality, pool probably wouldn't be as deep in the sh*tter as it is today.

Maniac