Life on the Road as a TD

Ktown D said:
I drive an Explorer.

I can tell you from personal experience the 5.4 drivetrain is a much better combo than the 4.6. The transmission in the 5.4 setup is a 4R100 and it is a much better unit than the 4R70W that is mated with the 4.6 engine. IMO you have one of the best drivetrain combinations in your truck that is available, foreign or domestic. The only inherent flaw with the Triton engine I have found is the propensity for ignition coil failure at a clip of about 90.00 per coil plus labor (there are 8 seperate coils).

I hope your truck serves you well for miles to come.

As for Leonard,

We can argue the merits of Ford vs. Chevy when I see you at the Shootout.:p :D

So the Explorer trans with the 4.6 is the same as the 1/2 ton pickup trans with the 4.6?
 
Island Drive said:
So the Explorer trans with the 4.6 is the same as the 1/2 ton pickup trans with the 4.6?
No unfortunately not. The pickup has a 4R70W which is a little more dependable trans type than the 5R55W that is in the Explorer. The 5R55W's are also found in Jaguar S-types and Lincoln LS. I would rather have the pickup trans in my Explorer but, Oh well. The engines are obviously the same.

Sorry to hijack your thread Mike.
 
MikeJanis said:
Yeah, I know all about it. My Dad's foundry in Betmore, IA ...................................

That reminds me Mike... Do you still have my old Ohio BETMORE plates?

Saw
 
The Saw said:
That reminds me Mike... Do you still have my old Ohio BETMORE plates?

Saw

Nope, So far I whent trough BETMORE, NE149BL (Any One 4 9-Ball) and IPLADOU (I Play Do You). After not having a DL for a while I use a regular plate so I don't attract any attention.

I think my net plate will say DeePkts.

Mj


PS, Truck Update = Got to Cleveland whent to my friends shop and got the rest of the work done on the truck for only $75.00.

So now the repair work came to: Estimate from Ford = $900.00

I paid $0 at Pepboys for New Rotors and Porcelin Brake Pads on Front front of truck because they were still under an 18 month Warranty (Good Deal). Oil Change $28.00, Immediate Repairs at Sears in Logansport, IN $105.00, Radiator Flush, Transmission Flush, New Exhaust from Converter Back + Hose Clamps around Heat Shields on Converter for only $75 straight. It's good to have friends, Thanks George Korman from A-1 Auto on Lorain Rd in Cleveland, Ohio. The Hose Clamps we used on the Converter only cost $1.49 each x 2 from Torch Hardware. Ford wanted $85 for their Converter clamp.

Mj
 
And A New A.R.E. Topper

I have a great 1998 Ford Ranger 6 cylinder 4.0 engine that I took into the shop yesterday to have the tension pulley & serpentine belt replaced. That's the ONLY 'work' I've had done on it since I bought it new, nine years and two months ago. It just went over the 41,000 mile mark.

Doug
( I get 17 m.p.g. in the city with the A/C on all the time and that ain't too shabby... imo )
 
Tundras are reliable, my Dad love his, but it sits like a car with a crappy seat....I don't like the seating position and find it uncomfortable.....IMHO, Dodge, Chevy and Ford all sit up-right and are more comfortable...

A buddy just bought a Titan.....I was actually surprised with the seating position and ride, not a bad option....

Also, with the miles you drive, I'd advise a diesel....you can get one with an 8 foot bed, get 20mpg loaded with your gear, and a good diesel will easily last 300k miles....
 
Back
Top