Linseed oil and super glue

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
for the non-believers....here you go.... Been used by many for years.....
Just my .2… use oil or CA. Don’t need both. Real overkill. Using on pen blanks and a cue are different as there will be way too much CA in the air. If you do not have proper ventilation and a respirator please pass on it. I used Tru-Oil and get great results

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i turn alot of pens for gifts and for sale. Used to use a mix of boiled linseed oil and superglue for finishing. Put a couple drops of oil onthe cloth then put a couple drops of super glue over the oil, then burnished it on the pen blank. Actually set up quicker with the oil than without.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Can I use Super Glue over Linseed oil for a finish ?

Not sure why you were given negative answers, but yes this is a common woodturning finish. Like others below, be careful with CA finish. I think in the long run you will be happier learning to use epoxies, uv, and/ 2k clear coat (which is also deadly but perhaps less messy than CA).

daron jacobs

Registered
Thanks guys, I usually use just linseed oil, and it drys, so I didn't see why not. I want this cue to be shiny though :)) Thanks again for the advice !

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Forgot to add, that I don't see how you could do a cue in the way I do a pen. Also I do 8 to 12 coats to get the finish I want on a pen and it's still thin but glossy.
I would think if doing a cue you would have to flood the cue with superglue and sand back, but not sure. Need to ask a cuemaker on that one.
I hate working with super glue.

R2PQZ

Can I use Super Glue over Linseed oil for a finish
Can I use Super Glue over Linseed oil for a finish ?
Many years ago I met a fellow who built bagpipes. He would combine refined linseed oil and superglue in a napkin and trowel it on the wood as it turned. I tried it on cues. It looked nice for a while but wore away over time. I tried Tru-oil next. It was easy to apply and looked great when finished. Same problem. Wore away over time. Tried automotive clear coats. Nasty to work with. For over 20 years now CA is my finish. If you use an oil finish, look into a product called Japan Drier. Good luck

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
There are no stupid questions. And better to ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake. Always ask...fire away. Welcome aboard
correct, there are no stupid questions....but on this forum lately...by NON cuemakers...there have been....boatloads of stupid answers

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Use the low odour CA, and it can be used with many different oils. The combination of the oil and CA , effectively creates a varnish. But unless the oil is loaded in Anti UV stuff, it will darken and change colour over time. The epoxy with UV stuff in it, basically stays the same colour after 20 years. You can build up the layers of oil and glue very easily. It can also be used with the thicker CA as well if you want to build up a realistic thickness of 10 thou per side. Thin CA will take a long time to get that much thickness.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
correct, there are no stupid questions....but on this forum lately...by NON cuemakers...there have been....boatloads of stupid answers
My opinion is that it is a finishing wood question, something that is not exclusive to cuemakers. Stupid answers are also not exclusive to NON cuemakers ... or cuemakers ... (or luthiers, or furniture makers, or pen makers, etc.).

Dave