Long Combo on the 10 Bigfoot SVB

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
When young and on the road, these two men stuck out from ALL the rest.... Dennis Searcy & Wade Crane.
The way the two played was different, but similar.
Big men, incredible cue power.
They played good NO matter what table/cloth/humidity/dirt etc.
They Never really played bad. :)
This type of shot Shane made/went for, is equal to these two mens way of thinking and skill.
THESE TYPE OF SHOTS ARE ALMOST, NEVER LOOKED AT BY THE REST OF THE PLAY FIELD.

Searcy and Crane were Very consistent, never had a really bad day because they always played the same.

This shot Shane made on the Bigfoot table had allot of distance from the sound of it.
Very few, cept the greats go for and make these far away combos, that can ''tear your opponents heart out''.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When they were in gear , they would have today torn the hearts out of many in today's playing field. Both in gear were something to behold .
The combo you are referring to was not in your post, or I am missing where to click. I clicked on www.worldbilliardtour but nothing came up.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Dave Thompson had mentioned this shot during his Big Foot write up.
Have to wait for the U tube replay to find it.

Chip, it has nothing to do with the WBT domain name.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When they were in gear , they would have today torn the hearts out of many in today's playing field. Both in gear were something to behold .
The combo you are referring to was not in your post, or I am missing where to click. I clicked on www.worldbilliardtour but nothing came up.
The Bigfoot is DCC property. You won't find it on-line unless they and Accu-Stats release it.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When young and on the road, these two men stuck out from ALL the rest.... Dennis Searcy & Wade Crane.
This type of shot Shane made/went for, is equal to these two mens way of thinking and skill.

Searcy and Crane were Very consistent, never had a really bad day because they always played the same.

This shot Shane made on the Bigfoot table had allot of distance from the sound of it.
Very few, cept the greats go for and make these far away combos, that can ''tear your opponents heart out''.
Searcy was the real deal. I'll never forget being there and watching the payball ring game that was later described in Sports Illustrated. It took place during Joe Burns' famous Hustlers' tournament in Dayton, 1974. It was a 7 man ring game with $50 each on the 2 through 6 and $100 on the 7, with double on the run. Searcy jumped into the game, ran the first two racks, and within a few minutes was already $8400 ahead.

Denny Searcy, from the San Francisco Bay area, is making the most of his first trip East, a packrat emptying the other communicants' pockets and leaving groans behind. Minnesota Fats once said, "Dressing a pool player in a tuxedo is like putting whipped cream on a hot dog." There are no cummerbunds in this pool room. Searcy, a chunky fellow with the beginnings of a mezzanine under his chin, wears old blue corduroys and a T shirt with a bulging pocket into which he pauses to stuff more bills every time he pockets a payball. Between shots he slouches off to the side, looking uninterested. Joe Burns whispers that as of last night Searcy had $20,000 from the 70 or so players who had passed through the game. He knew the figure because he had counted the money and locked it in his safe. ...

Now the money is changing hands quickly. A shooter collects double if he sinks all the eligible payballs, and even these professionals are feeling the pressure. Detroit Whitey, once one of the finest shotmakers in the game, eyes an elementary straight-in shot that counts double, and takes aim much longer than usual. When he finally strokes the ball, Whitey jerks spasmodically; his bridge hand flies off the table and his cue stick makes a sickening sound as it scrapes off the ball. The room falls silent. Detroit Whitey gazes up numbly. There are a few muffled laughs, and everyone is thinking the same thing. After a few minutes, Detroit Whitey all but runs from the room, followed by silent reproach.

In Joe Burns' office, Denny Searcy has a beer and a sandwich, enjoying a respite from the game. He has given another player $400 to shoot his stick while he rests, and with a shrug he estimates that during the surrogate's fill-in he could lose $4,000 in potential winnings. "I never figured I'd get tired of shooting pay-ball," he says wearily, "but I am. The table is mine and those guys are mine. It's my game. It's not like I worked for it. It's like free money. Maybe if I worked for it, I wouldn't go out and shoot pool with it. But I don't know. I've never worked. Sometimes I think about it, what it would be like, going to work every day, getting some security. But I don't know. How could someone like me open up a business? What do I know about running a business?" ...

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He may have made it this time, but it still may not have been the correct percentage option in that situation. Chances are if he missed it, he wouldn’t have gotten back to the table.

Island Drive

Silver Member
He may have made it this time, but it still may not have been the correct percentage option in that situation. Chances are if he missed it, he wouldn’t have gotten back to the table.
I'd feel confident, that cue ball movement/separation/hook also accompany the shot execution.

Free Shot... is what top pros live off of.

Great hooks are always sweeter than great shots.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are times also that the combo is the easier shot ,which might also include a safety. Meaning the safety might be the harder of the two shots. A tough cut or with only two balls left on the table when playing their speed, banks were almost a sure thing for either player
Billy always told me to try and stay at the table when at all possible. His Offense broke a lot of folks down and so did Dennie's.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

When Wade was house pro at the Marietta Billiard Club he was well past his prime and I could hold my own with him at the small tournaments there as we went back and forth on who would win on any given occasion in short race tournaments. Well a pro event came there and we played each other in it and a big crowd gathered around to watch the legend "Billy Johnson" play. He did not go for any really hard shots on those fairly tight pocket tables. Instead he put on a defense clinic for those watching. He would shoot the object ball up to the end of the table off a couple of rails and leave the ball near the center of the end rail and at the same time the cue ball would go off a rail or two and stop near the center of the other end rail. If I played safe back on him leaving him a bank to the side pocket, he would just do the same leave on me again putting them back on the opposite end rails. Then if I tried to bank it in I would either make it or more likely leave him a hanger. I could hold my own running out with him, but I found out he was light years ahead of me on safety play. I even left him the same type of leave he had been giving me and he reversed it on me sending the ball back up where the cue ball was and leaving the cue ball close to where the object ball was. I have tried dozens of times to reverse those positions since when practicing and almost never successful.

Last edited: