Long Dong vs the 3 foul rule question...if he had gotten the ball safe and Vilmos fouled, would he have won the game?

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m talking about this video:

Vilmos had to foul twice in a row to put Dong that situation. So if Dong had managed to get it safe and then Vilmos fouled, would the 3 foul rule count against Vilmos? In other words do the fouls of Vilmos in between getting Dong on 2 fouls count or does Dong’s legal hit while on 2 fouls reset the fouls for both of them?

btal

Registered
I’m talking about this video:

Vilmos had to foul twice in a row to put Dong that situation. So if Dong had managed to get it safe and then Vilmos fouled, would the 3 foul rule count against Vilmos? In other words do the fouls of Vilmos in between getting Dong on 2 fouls count or does Dong’s legal hit while on 2 fouls reset the fouls for both of them?
Had Vilmos fouled again (the third time) he would have lost the game.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Indeed, it's hard to make out in the audio but Michaela warns Vilmos that he's on two fouls around 5:03 in the video.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I played at a pool hall many years ago where the waitresses all wore those plastic name tags with their first and last names, and one of the waitresses was named Phuk Yu (yes it was her real name, no they weren't trolling the patrons).

Some of the previous replies and thread direction reminded me of this legendary prank on a newscaster. Obviously inappropriate in a number of ways but it was so well done you are still going to laugh (while also acknowledging it shouldn't have been done).

Some background behind the prank:

Rimfirejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played at a pool hall many years ago where the waitresses all wore those plastic name tags with their first and last names, and one of the waitresses was named Phuk Yu (yes it was her real name, no they weren't trolling the patrons).

Some of the previous replies and thread direction reminded me of this legendary prank on a newscaster. Obviously inappropriate in a number of ways but it was so well done you are still going to laugh (while also acknowledging it shouldn't have been done).

Some background behind the prank:
This NEVER gets old! Lol

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the record I think it's pronounced pook but I can imagine people calling her to the table just to hear her say yes.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did anyone notice the 6 didn't get spoted after the foul.
I'm more interested in the fact that he double-hit the CB, probably intentionally because the 6 ball would never have cleared the area the way it did. Couldn't that technically be considered unsportsmanlike if he purposely double-hit the CB to gain an advantage?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm more interested in the fact that he double-hit the CB, probably intentionally because the 6 ball would never have cleared the area the way it did. Couldn't that technically be considered unsportsmanlike if he purposely double-hit the CB to gain an advantage?

I doubt it would be called as a loss of game foul, there is a chance it may have been as abusing the rules, like fouling then whacking the balls with your hand or cue to spread them randomly.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
(About what was apparently an intentional double hit by Luong....)
I doubt it would be called as a loss of game foul, there is a chance it may have been as abusing the rules, like fouling then whacking the balls with your hand or cue to spread them randomly.
If he had shot that shot without the double hit, he would not have cleared the balls out as well.

There is currently no explicit rule against intentionally double-hitting the cue ball as was clearly done in the video. My feeling is that it should be a forbidden shot like intentional miscues and shooting with the side of your stick.

wagdad

Yup, I'm that Guy.
Silver Member
I havent seen anyone use the 3 foul tack teek😏 in a very long time! I first saw it on the ESPN in a big tournament. But for sure, if your opponent fouls 3 consecutive times, you win. In 9 ball that is, and they honor the 3 foul rule. I tried it once in a league match, and they said that rule was banned so I called them Comm'ies and didnt play a second session.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... In 9 ball that is, and they honor the 3 foul rule. I tried it once in a league match, and they said that rule was banned ...
If they ban 3 fouls, they have to have a way to deal with stalemates. The situation in the OP would have been a stalemate, for instance.

wagdad

Yup, I'm that Guy.
Silver Member
If they ban 3 fouls, they have to have a way to deal with stalemates. The situation in the OP would have been a stalemate, for instance.
Howdy Bob, I'll start by saying I'm not arguing with you, and thank you for your posts and videos. You are a wealth of knowledge, but I must not be understanding the stalemate part. I would think that if Luong had hit the OB and left it safe on the 3rd attempt and Foldes fouled, Luong would be the winner because they both had 2 fouls each.