Looking for a coach

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mitchxout...PM me with your name and phone number, and let's talk about your needs and my schedule! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I just looked at this list of instructors in my area and they can't beat me. I'm looking for instruction but not from someone that knows less than I do. Hopefully, I can arrange some lessons with Mr Lee. I'm very open minded but the guys I know on this list can't teach me anything.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hal Mix was a pleasant man and loved pool with all his heart

I think it's possible, but I think it's rare for it to be successful at beginning and intermediate levels. At those levels, I think you have to know how to 'walk the walk,' and not just 'talk the talk,' if you know what I mean.

I agree! This is true with teaching piano, guitar, or yes, even pool.

I learned some things from Hal Mix, although he was forward in declining comment on professional fundamentals. He was Nick Varner's coach for a few years, more as a confidant, than a teaching coach.

Hal Mix was a pleasant man and loved pool with all his heart, I still show one of the things he showed me in my lessons. He's the first one to warn me about extending my follow though in my "master stroke," although it is necessary when following the ball, especially when a lot of cue ball movement is necessary.

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I learned some things from Hal Mix, although he was forward in declining comment on professional fundamentals. He was Nick Varner's coach for a few years, more as a confidant, than a teaching coach.

Hal Mix was a pleasant man and loved pool with all his heart, I still show one of the things he showed me in my lessons. He's the first one to warn me about extending my follow though in my "master stroke," although it is necessary when following the ball, especially when a lot of cue ball movement is necessary.

Hal Mix had an interesting idea in his book about aiming with inside. He aimed his shaft at the point of aim on the object ball. In the 2nd paragraph:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 147

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I thought of Hal Mix also. I used to love sitting with him in the stands between my matches, listening to his analysis of the players. But his loyalty was to Nick. When Nick was playing, his focus was totally on him. He also worked with Robin.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
I'm not so stubborn that I know it's possible to learn something from virtually anyone. However, why would I pay money to someone who knows less than I do?

Mitch I assume you are a better than average player.
I am curious as to where the instructors fail to measure up or are lacking in the areas you feel you may need to work.

I learn from this, thank you.

Sincerely: SS

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mitch I assume you are a better than average player.
I am curious as to where the instructors fail to measure up or are lacking in the areas you feel you may need to work.

I learn from this, thank you.

Sincerely: SS

One issue I have is with instructors who use the "cookie-cutter" approach. This is where they strictly adhere to a preapproved manual that doesn't take into account the individual. Basically, everyone gets the same lessons, although tailored to their skill level.
Another issue with instructors is when they think their method is the one and only way. Aiming zealots are the worst of the lot.
Many instructors treat lessons as an additional income where money is the primary motive. It's not their first career and knowledge is lacking.
I hate to say it, but the old saying, "those who can't do, teach" is all too prevalent.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One issue I have is with instructors who use the "cookie-cutter" approach. This is where they strictly adhere to a preapproved manual that doesn't take into account the individual. Basically, everyone gets the same lessons, although tailored to their skill level.
Another issue with instructors is when they think their method is the one and only way. Aiming zealots are the worst of the lot.
Many instructors treat lessons as an additional income where money is the primary motive. It's not their first career and knowledge is lacking.
I hate to say it, but the old saying, "those who can't do, teach" is all too prevalent.

Just wondering how many instructors you have been to that you make such broad sweeping statements??

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
We do all look different playing the game, however, there are several common "themes"

There are some that can "do" and teach as well. ;) It does take a lot of trial and error to do both, I'm just now able to do both at approximately the same level, although it took re-building my own game under competitive situations to achieve. What's been a great positive, side effect is my ability to learn from others has improved.

My strategy is to show the ideal model, then helping the player blend in their own personal characteristics. We do all look different playing the game, however, there are several common "themes" and of course, many variations.

Streamlining the stroke and pre-shot routine is what seems to get the quickest results. The game, it's self isn't that difficult once a player can hit the ball precisely. This is the foundation of any good player's confidence. 'The Game is the Teacher' .com

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
learning the system will make any style more effective.

Hal Mix had an interesting idea in his book about aiming with inside. He aimed his shaft at the point of aim on the object ball. In the 2nd paragraph:

Yes, there have been many people discover the power of the inside cue ball. I've said many times it wasn't me that invented TOI, I just was chosen or nominated to put the system together so many could benefit and enjoy this way of performing.

I, personally, wouldn't want to play any other way. I still mess around with other styles, however, they just prove to me how strong the touch of inside is and how well if fits some players mind.

Still, there are probably only a small percentage of players that would use TOI as much as I do, although learning the system will make any style more effective.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member

Thanks Mitch

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wondering how many instructors you have been to that you make such broad sweeping statements??
Not only do I have personal experience, it's not just directed at billiards. My "sweeping" statements apply to other endeavors as well.

rookie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am glad to see all the activity on this post. I can see everyone's point on this issue. I think a lot of this is dependent on the level the player is at. But knowledge is knowledge and if it is presented in the proper way if is useful regardless.

But i can understand wanting an instructor who ability you are confident in. So what will build confidence in an instructor it sounds like many of you feel a good ass kick in on the table. I know guys who can play with the best of them but could not teach you to tie your shoes.

I recently received C.J. Wileys videos and picked up quit a few pointers even from the tape that explained the basics. We all learn in different ways and are open to different things. C.J. teaches toi i don't know if i would use this all the time but i feel it would be a great asset on many shots and in many situations.

C.J by the way is a great guy and his videos are weworth getting!!!:D

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member

Mitch,

I have a comment. Please take it in the kind and respectful spirit in which it is intended. There are some things where a cookie-cutter approach is demanded. For example, I would tell anyone "a light but even coating of chalk for most shots" and also "don't have your head three feet above the cue stick for most shots". And in aiming, I ask every student in their first lesson regarding which part of the pocket they aim certain test shots I setup. On whether a player is aiming to the pocket accurately--that should be a cookie-cutter approach IMO!

But yes, I hear what you are saying. I've had students who were pretty upset at traveling to a guru to learn that their stance and/or aim and/or stroke was "wrong" because they looked different than other of their students. Sometimes using the guru's new system was a godsend. Other times, a disaster. (Okay, mostly a disaster.)

Thanks for letting me vent.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another issue with instructors is when they think their method is the one and only way.

Amen to this.

Seen it more than once.

r/DCP