Looking for another pool book this time instructional

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I posted before about pool books with road stories and got a great list and I've bought 3 and have enjoyed them all and look forward to ordering the next pool wars book but this time I'm looking for something different.

I'm looking for a book/books that is basically a picture book of shots. I'm looking for a book that will tell you what english to use to pocket the ball and get from spot a to b. I'm just looking for another way to practice beings I'm practicing alone for the most part and want to learn some new shots. I know about bull’s-eye billiards but I don't foresee myself bringing that to the two places I shoot so just looking for a book that will basically be like bullseyes shot cards. Any help is appreciated.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get the 3 PAT booklets that Thornton Hohmann promotes. Full of self tests, practice drills, setup shots, pictures, etc. They are top notch and WILL make you a better player.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get the 3 PAT booklets that Thornton Hohmann promotes. Full of self tests, practice drills, setup shots, pictures, etc. They are top notch and WILL make you a better player.

Thanks, where would I go about getting them? I googled them and couldn't find anything

Dr_CollieCue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Wilson's book Play Great Pool and Phil Capelle's book Play Your Best Pool or something like that are really good.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
So I posted before about pool books with road stories and got a great list and I've bought 3 and have enjoyed them all and look forward to ordering the next pool wars book but this time I'm looking for something different.

I'm looking for a book/books that is basically a picture book of shots. I'm looking for a book that will tell you what english to use to pocket the ball and get from spot a to b. I'm just looking for another way to practice beings I'm practicing alone for the most part and want to learn some new shots. I know about bull’s-eye billiards but I don't foresee myself bringing that to the two places I shoot so just looking for a book that will basically be like bullseyes shot cards. Any help is appreciated.

IMO the one book everyone should own is Byrne's Standard Book of Pool and Billiards.
There's more pictures than words in this book. I bought a hard cover 1st edition in 1978.
The book's been updated since, now called the New Standard Book of Pool & Billiards.

Another book (hard to find) is Kim Davenport's Target Pool. All shots show tip positions.

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have Mark Wilson's,Byrnes and Ray Martin's. WIlson's teaches perfection and practise routines while Martin's and Byrnes teach shots. The 3 cushion billiards part of the Byrnes book is totally overwhelming! I'm in awe of the knowledge necessary to be a good billiard's player. Mitch

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think one of these might be what you're looking for:

Phil Capelle's "Play Your Best 9 Ball"...it has tons of shots and safes to learn

Bob Henning: "The Pro Book"...does a great job condensing most of the shots you will ever face in pool into 16 reference shots. Same for safes and kicks. If you really dig into this book and follow it, I think it would bring anyone's game way up.

Joe Tucker: "Guaranteed Improvement". Lots of reference shots with descriptions of how to make them. The title says it all.

Hope this helps,

KMRUNOUT

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Real simple ---- order yourself a Bullseye Billiards package. Illustrates exactly what you asked for and has two practice/game cards to use as well for structured practice or even competition with a pal. Worth every penny - everyone I've given a copy to as a gift loves it and says how much it has helped their practice sessions and cue ball control. My $.02 anyway.

LIVFST

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I compare this to Target Pool, and unfortunately the collector's value has put this out of reach of most people who are looking for something like this.

FWIW, I think Jeremiah Gage has gone out of his way to make this accessible and affordable to everyone, probably at the expense of his bottom line. You can buy just the PDF book for $10, hard copy book for $30, or the full kit for $60.

http://bullseyebilliards.net/

Real simple ---- order yourself a Bullseye Billiards package. Illustrates exactly what you asked for and has two practice/game cards to use as well for structured practice or even competition with a pal. Worth every penny - everyone I've given a copy to as a gift loves it and says how much it has helped their practice sessions and cue ball control. My $.02 anyway.

LIVFST

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I compare this to Target Pool, and unfortunately the collector's value has put this out of reach of most people who are looking for something like this.

FWIW, I think Jeremiah Gage has gone out of his way to make this accessible and affordable to everyone, probably at the expense of his bottom line. You can buy just the PDF book for $10, hard copy book for $30, or the full kit for $60.

http://bullseyebilliards.net/

Thanks for that. I didn't realize that you could buy just the book. I don't need the scorepad or targets but have been interested in the book.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes. Eckert's PAT workouts are the best, most complete course on pool I've ever come across. There are several videos on YouTube of Hohmann doing some of the drills.

The course is divided into three booklets, progressively getting tougher. Plus there are many games in the course to gauge progression. I recommend them to anyone looking to challenge and improve your current benchmarks. They are a thorough way to improve anyone's ability at the table regardless of current skill level.