Looking for lessons in Central Indiana/Illinois

Andrew Henson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am looking for an instructor to help me raise my game. I am at best a low c player. I've been playing for a couple of years now and am eager to improve. Is anyone in my area? Anywhere from Indianapolis to Champaign area

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure Scott Lee will be traveling through your area any minute.
Give him a PM and he'll be there soon. You can't go wrong.

Wanna travel a couple hundred of miles to St. Louis, I'll do it for free. But you'll get what you pay for. No Cert. No camera, No printed material. No evaluation process or documents. Very little time. All I can offer is phone conversations after giving you everything I know unless you want to come back for more here say.

Certified instructors will wow you for days. Then they give you all the review info on paper. Well worth the expense if you're serious about learning.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As mentioned, I teach full time, travel nationwide, and am currently at home in MI (for the next two weeks), and available to come work with you, where you are. If you PM with your contact information, we can confirm some details, and work something out that works for both of us.:grin:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
That's only your opinion that I got it wrong. You keep knockin threads trying to get people to take lessons from you, great, wonderful.

All the lessons you teach people don't mean anything if they can't play with heat on them. No one that I have ever come across takes up playing pool to play alone. Playing for your meal ticket forces you to get better, have you never been in action, well I mean in the past 100 years.

Dead Crab

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's only your opinion that I got it wrong. You keep knockin threads trying to get people to take lessons from you, great, wonderful.

All the lessons you teach people don't mean anything if they can't play with heat on them. No one that I have ever come across takes up playing pool to play alone. Playing for your meal ticket forces you to get better, have you never been in action, well I mean in the past 100 years.

Well, you have just come across one.

Some of us have no interest in gambling at pool, or even having competition for that matter. We play the table, and want to play it well. We have enough stress in our lives and don't need to increase it by dabbling in minor-league gambling or getting woofed at.

I'm not moralizing here. I'm an ex-semiprofessional horseplayer who used to bet well above the "cheap set" level several times a day. Gambling transforms recreation into work. If that is your thing, so be it, but please don't be critical of others for choosing a different path.

Good luck with the meal ticket thing.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member

Some of us have no interest in gambling at pool, or even having competition for that matter. We play the table, and want to play it well. We have enough stress in our lives and don't need to increase it by dabbling in minor-league gambling or getting woofed at.

I'm not moralizing here. I'm an ex-semiprofessional horseplayer who used to bet well above the "cheap set" level several times a day. Gambling transforms recreation into work. If that is your thing, so be it, but please don't be critical of others for choosing a different path.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member

I couldn't have said it better. People who think gambling is the only way to get better are missing the best part of the game. In over 40 years, I doubt I have ever played for more than table time, or mabye a drink or two. When played well, this is a beautiful game.

If you think you can make a living playing pool, take up golf!

Gambling won't teach you anything other than how to gamble.

Steve

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Gee Mr. Pot or Kettle, what do you call this statement?

I couldn't have said it better. People who think gambling is the only way to get better are missing the best part of the game. In over 40 years, I doubt I have ever played for more than table time, or maybe a drink or two

Now it's semantics on how much you are gambling for?

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gambling is probably the number one reason I gravitated to 3C. I think it was probably the first day I stepped to a table some guy wants to pick my pocket. There's a difference between gambling and theft. I had no business gambling since I didn't know which end of the cue to hold yet and they knew it.

Like WC Fields said when asked if Poker was a game of chance. He says "No, not the way I play."

Like Pooltchr said, Gambling only teaches you how to gamble. Teaches you nothing about how to play the game.

Sure you can technically call playing for the time gambling and I guess it would be if my entire fortune was $10. For me it's just a friendly gesture, like buying someone a drink. The money never enters my mind during the game.

There's a thread in here where a guy says he plays well gambling but not in tournaments. How can that be if gambling makes you a better player? http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=163108&highlight=tournament

Andrew Henson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So this thread went to hell?
So Scott drives 2-300 hundred miles. Shows up on time. Stays way late. Videotapes the lesson. Answers all my questions I had prewritten before I asked them. To be clear he didn't teach me everything about pool. He taught me how to learn the processes to identify flaws in my technique and mental processes. Not only that he entertained me a bit and played a few games. Not too bad. Did this help, I'll let you know in a couple months, if it doesn't it's my fault for not following the plan. I have the info I need to play better. Now the test of my desire
If you think this is a waste of time, stay out of this thread. I clearly posted looking for an instructor and to quote Scott I am his student for life.

Couple questions. How does gambling make me stop twisting my wrist? Will it help me not rush my shots? Will gambling help find the right grip and grip position on the cue? Not if I don't know my problems. Just a thought

Last edited:

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
So Scott drives 2-300 hundred miles. Shows up on time. Stays way late. Videotapes the lesson. Answers all my questions I had prewritten before I asked them. To be clear he didn't teach me everything about pool. He taught me how to learn the processes to identify flaws in my technique and mental processes. Not only that he entertained me a bit and played a few games. Not too bad. Did this help, I'll let you know in a couple months, if it doesn't it's my fault for not following the plan. I have the info I need to play better. Now the test of my desire
If you think this is a waste of time, stay out of this thread. I clearly posted looking for an instructor and to quote Scott I am his student for life.

Couple questions. How does gambling make me stop twisting my wrist? Will it help me not rush my shots? Will gambling help find the right grip and grip position on the cue? Not if I don't know my problems. Just a thought

Mumble-Mumble-Mumble,,,,SPF=randyg

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many people misunderstand the knowledge and intent of professional instructors. Many of us have gambled in the past (or still do). Most of us possess an extensive knowledge of not only how translate information on the process that gives you a repeatable stroke, but also the information on how to actually apply that process, when accompanied by knowledge of strategy, position play, and how to overcome the "heat" of competition (as it was described above). IMHO, it makes no sense to simply gamble, without having the confidence in being able to utilize strategic knowledge (including knowing how to 'match up'), because you trust your stroke enough to be able to accurately predict what's going to happen. You can "know" what to do, but if you can't make it happen...especially under pressure...what you really accomplished (other than simply losing your money)? Most top level instructors will insist on focusing on the student's ability to set up and deliver the cue accurately and repeatedly, before sharing too much strategy about playing. Why?...because they know how important it is to be able to truly TRUST your stroke!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
It will make you stop twisting your wrist because you will keep being broke and WANT to eventually fix the problem by figuring out what you did wrong.

Do you honestly think the majority of pool players take lessons?
Doesn't really matter if 50 or 100 people reply that yes I do take lessons. The majority of players don't take lessons.

Keep building up that desire, when you are ready bet something... If you need scott to hold your hand, I understand. I mean you are his student for life.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
It will make you stop twisting your wrist because you will keep being broke and WANT to eventually fix the problem by figuring out what you did wrong.

Do you honestly think the majority of pool players take lessons?
Doesn't really matter if 50 or 100 people reply that yes I do take lessons. The majority of players don't take lessons.

Keep building up that desire, when you are ready bet something... If you need scott to hold your hand, I understand. I mean you are his student for life.

u12armresl: Very interesting stat. Can you please supply me with the source of that information. Thanks...SPF=randyg

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
@u12armresl

don t want to waste too much energy on your answers and even so dont want to get unfriendly. If we ll have a look on the rankings of pro-players, there are many, many players (what i definitly know for sure!!) who NEVER gambled before they started beeing Professionals ( and i think they did not so bad, huh?). Just a little advice to think a bit about your postings here. And in my opinion anyway very funny that u talkin like a founder of the solution of striking simplicity at all.
I for myself don t like gambling that much- just played few times with ppl who meant to shark poor guys in our pool hall- even if i won almost any game on gambling- in my opinion it satisfies me more to play the game because i love it and train on it, because it s fun for me- even showing/teachin/transporting my knowledge to other guys givin me much more than winning 20 bucks from an idiot.

nothin personal- just my opinion,
lg from germany
Ingo

Last edited:

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
@Andrew

Sorry that i also was going to be a bit off-topic! Just have fun takin your time with Randy or Scott. I bet you ll have a great time with em :)

lg

Ingo

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
I wont elaborate but I agree more with U12 than the host of peddlers, i mean instructors in this thread SELLING their services. Yes you are always selling if your name alone lets you know you are a teacher or your sig line has info on pool schools etc. The OP is looking or has received lessons thats fine, worry about the OP.

I'd personally want lessons from JA or Hillbilly, someone that I know can make a ball.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
The majority of players don't take lessons.

I would think you may be correct. I would also suspect that the majority of good players have taken or do take some kind of lessons. That's one reason why they are so good. I could list quite a few names that most posters on here would instantly recognize who have worked with an instructor.

I also think that the majority of golfers don't take lessons. But I know for a fact that Tiger Woods has!

Steve