Louie Roberts award - I thought you...

Wybrook

A. Wheeler
Silver Member
had to play in all the tournament to be eligible to receive the award?

It used to be on the Derby website but I can no longer locate the stipulations.
 
had to play in all the tournament to be eligible to receive the award?

It used to be on the Derby website but I can no longer locate the stipulations.

The pool world is a changing. Gone are the days when running racks and playing proficiently is what makes good pool.

Today, it is not necessary to run three balls in a row anymore. You can buy your way into any spot in this pool world. If you like attention and have money, well, pool is where it's at. Tournament play doesn't mean squat.

Maybe they can change the BCA ranking system to who can stack it the highest. Pool is for sale.
 
Louie Roberts award, as far as I knew, was for action. It does not have anything to do with the tournaments in any way. Maybe I am wrong though
 
The pool world is a changing. Gone are the days when running racks and playing proficiently is what makes good pool.

Today, it is not necessary to run three balls in a row anymore. You can buy your way into any spot in this pool world. If you like attention and have money, well, pool is where it's at. Tournament play doesn't mean squat.

Maybe they can change the BCA ranking system to who can stack it the highest. Pool is for sale.

Dippy didnt get put in the hall of fame or get named player of the year. LR award is action and entertainment voted on by the people at the event. According to the AZ article 95% of the voters said he was the most entertaining action player.

There was a severe lack of top echelon players in action this year. Most played a set or two at most. Too much other stuff going on. Hard to vote for a top player for the award when they never have the chance to play any action games.
 
Dippy didnt get put in the hall of fame or get named player of the year. LR award is action and entertainment voted on by the people at the event. According to the AZ article 95% of the voters said he was the most entertaining action player.

There was a severe lack of top echelon players in action this year. Most played a set or two at most. Too much other stuff going on. Hard to vote for a top player for the award when they never have the chance to play any action games.

Thanks for your kind reply.

I am not referring to any one individual, FWIW. I am referring to pool in general. This is a trend that has been happening with pool for years now, maybe the last decade beginning in the early 2000s.

Kevin Trudeau tried to buy pool, and at that time, it didn't matter how much money he threw into the sport/game. It didn't catch on. Tournament soldiers and competitions just don't cut the mustard anymore.

Reading this forum illustrates my opinion. There is more interest in who's backing who, what the spot is, and how much, to include all the side-betting, if you will. Tournament play takes a back seat in the year 2011.

Elsewhere in the world, it may be a different story, but in these United States, pool is for sale. Whoever can stack it the highest will get the attention of the American pool public, whether you are a player, a stakehorse, or a railbird. You don't even have to run three balls to be front and center in the American pool world.

I hope I have explained these thoughts better in an effort to avoid any misunderstanding or misinterpretation. :)
 
Thanks for your kind reply.

I am not referring to any one individual, FWIW. I am referring to pool in general. This is a trend that has been happening with pool for years now, maybe the last decade beginning in the early 2000s.

Kevin Trudeau tried to buy pool, and at that time, it didn't matter how much money he threw into the sport/game. It didn't catch on. Tournament soldiers and competitions just don't cut the mustard anymore.

Reading this forum illustrates my opinion. There is more interest in who's backing who, what the spot is, and how much, to include all the side-betting, if you will. Tournament play takes a back seat in the year 2011.

Elsewhere in the world, it may be a different story, but in these United States, pool is for sale. Whoever can stack it the highest will get the attention of the American pool public, whether you are a player, a stakehorse, or a railbird. You don't even have to run three balls to be front and center in the American pool world.

I hope I have explained these thoughts better in an effort to avoid any misunderstanding or misinterpretation. :)

People pay attention to excitement. Action matches seem to generate that more than run of the mill tournament matches. Still I think in 10 years more people will be able to tell you who won the US Open in 2011 than who won the biggest action match.
 
People pay attention to excitement. Action matches seem to generate that more than run of the mill tournament matches. Still I think in 10 years more people will be able to tell you who won the US Open in 2011 than who won the biggest action match.

You make a good point. :)

Beauty or "excitement" in this case is in the eye of the beholder. The age-old pool debate about what makes pool exciting will depend on the pool fan.

Pool purists prefer to view pool in a church-like setting (mum pool, if you will) with the competitors dressed in tuxedos, never uttering a word while in the pit during competition. This is the way pool used to be showcased in the early to middle 20th century. Pool purists believe this is what is lacking in today's pool.

There is another school of thought that players talking smack and entertaining the crowd is attractive. IOW, the audience would rather see a little color or emotion during competition instead of emotionless robotic motions of tournament soldiers. This audience would prefer to be entertained, though they still enjoy seeing the pool player who can run racks while he's doing the entertaining.

Money and deep pockets make one a pool giant in today's pool world. When someone mentions, as an example, that SVB can defeat Earl Strickland, the common retort is this: "Well, how much do you want to bet?" If you can't bet any money in today's pool world, there are some who consider you a "nit" or an outcast whose opinions are not worthy of consideration.

Chris Moneymaker, an online poker player, gave a boom to the poker world when he won his first major tournament. Everyday ordinary people soon thought that they could rise in the poker world, too, if Chris Moneymaker could do it. Well, this is now happening in pool. As long as you have money to gamble in pool, you don't have to worry about running racks anymore.

This trend is prevalent in today's American pool scene, which is why I believe that gambling high is more attractive than the mastery of pocket billiards. Where this will take pool is anybody's guess, but it is a new frontier. There's a new field of dreams: "Bet it and they will come."
 
had to play in all the tournament to be eligible to receive the award?

It used to be on the Derby website but I can no longer locate the stipulations.
I think you're thinking of the Master of the Table award.

The A/E award can go to anyone. They don't even have to play pool, but obviously that would be tough to win without playing.

As an example, Strong Arm John came in second last year in the voting mostly for making the games and "policing" them for Jeanette. He was always in action in that respect.

For those that haven't seen the press release: http://azbilliards.com/2000storya.php?storynum=8381

Fred
 
I think you're thinking of the Master of the Table award.

The A/E award can go to anyone. They don't even have to play pool, but obviously that would be tough to win without playing.

No, I know that on the Derby site, they used to have the stipulations for both the Master of the Table award and for the Louie Roberts award. I have read them both over, recently.

It stated that in order to be eligible, you had to play in the tourneys. Now its gone and I was wondering what happened to it?

Consider the prize for this award...... Free hotel and ENTRY fees for life into Derby. Doesn't make sense to award it to someone who is not really a pool player, just someone with a little bit of cash to blow.
 
As an example, Strong Arm John came in second last year in the voting mostly for making the games and "policing" them for Jeanette. He was always in action in that respect.

I think that's because the people who vote or nominate individuals maybe don't know the qualifications for the award...?
 
...There was a severe lack of top echelon players in action this year. Most played a set or two at most. Too much other stuff going on. Hard to vote for a top player for the award when they never have the chance to play any action games.

Interesting...IIRC, that was predicted prior to the event, with all the specialty events available.

Was it you that predicted it?:wink:
 
I think that's because the people who vote or nominate individuals maybe don't know the qualifications for the award...?
You don't need to be a player. I'm pretty sure of this, considering the small fact that I'm the head of the Action and Entertainment Committee.

Fred Agnir
 
You don't need to be a player. I'm pretty sure of this, considering the small fact that I'm the head of the Action and Entertainment Committee.

Fred Agnir

OK.... I am not arguing with anyone, but I read on the DCCTickets.com website no more than a month ago, a complete description of the award and the qualifications. Now, its gone. I just wanted to go back and re-read it.

Why is that section gone?

Its not really a big deal, but its a little strange to me.
 
OK.... I am not arguing with anyone, but I read on the DCCTickets.com website no more than a month ago, a complete description of the award and the qualifications. Now, its gone. I just wanted to go back and re-read it.

Why is that section gone?

Its not really a big deal, but its a little strange to me.

If it was up there (I'm not denying that it was or confirming since I didn't see it nor am I part of the DCCtickets.com site), it shouldn't have been. Maybe that's why it's not there now. I'd be surprised that there'd be a "description of the award" on that site without my knowledge. So, I assume someone accidentally put something up in the wrong spot if you saw it.

This is the presentation desscription of the award:

http://home.comcast.net/~ohagnir1/Pool/Louie_Roberts_11.pdf

The award has been consistent on who is qualified for consideration: anyone who provided action and entertainment. It can be a player, backer, woofer, sweater or bettor.

The only award that I know of that you have to play all of the three tournaments is the Master of the Table Award. There's no such stipulation on any other award or extra as far as I know.

Fred
 
Last edited:
Why is that section gone?

Its not really a big deal, but its a little strange to me.

It's obviously a big enough deal to you, that you've made at least 4 posts about it:)

But you are right, it's not a big deal... Fred explained it in great detail to you, you can't get a better source for info then him in regards to this award, and Dippy won the award this year by gathering a overwhelming number of votes from the people that attended the Derby.

Your incident involving Archer, apparently has soured your experience at the Derby this year.... no need to start imagining a conspiracy in every part of the Derby.:D
 
It's obviously a big enough deal to you, that you've made at least 4 posts about it:)

But you are right, it's not a big deal... Fred explained it in great detail to you, you can't get a better source for info then him in regards to this award, and Dippy won the award this year by gathering a overwhelming number of votes from the people that attended the Derby.

Ahhh.... here comes the crap...

Why can't anyone question anything in life?

I was asking because the qualifications were clearly listed on the DCC site along with the prize. (they have actually been posted for as long as the site has been up) The person who won did not meet the qualifications.

Is it strange to ask a question about it? NO....

So now if you go on the DCC site and don't know what the M of the T award is or the LR award, how do you find out?
 
Your incident involving Archer, apparently has soured your experience at the Derby this year.... no need to start imagining a conspiracy in every part of the Derby.:D

...because you know me so well, you can say what I am thinking...

ok.. from now on.... "CaliRed" will answer all my posts because he is a psychic
 
Well im not sure, maybe if you go back to past winners you can check and see if they played in all three events. If it ever was a stipulation that you had to play in all 3 events i would not understand why. This is known as the land of oppurtunity and i guess anyone can win. Im not getting political but someone did recently recieve a nobel peace prize and no one can figure that one out either lol!

But i believe the winner of the action entertainment award did create the most action and entertainment at least from my point of view i was only able to watch from home online. Im just curious if he will use it and actually play in the events? As these events are not handicapped events. He would be forced to play even, but it's a free shot either way. I'll play anybody even for a free shot at some cash.
 
...because you know me so well, you can say what I am thinking...

ok.. from now on.... "CaliRed" will answer all my posts because he is a psychic

hmmm... it seems YOU have the psychic abilities, you predicted that I have psychic abilities, as opposed to giving a common sense opinion!

Unfortunately, you suck at it as bad as I do:grin:

On the off chance you were right, I ran the question thru the Magic 8 ball.

FAIL !!!!!

8ball.jpg
 
had to play in all the tournament to be eligible to receive the award?

It used to be on the Derby website but I can no longer locate the stipulations.

Adam,

Fred Agnir is one of the best authorities on who is eligible or not (don't stroke Fred's ego anymore).

The Louie can be won by anyone there. IT doesn't have to be a player in the tourney. Hell, it doesnt even have to be a player. It could be a railtard, backer, etc.


Eric
 
Last edited:
Back
Top