Mach 3 XP Com Port Address Question

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Hi,

Reinstalled my licenced Mach 3 with new XP System on my computer.

Is anyone running Mach 3 with XP that can tell me the Com Port address for Com 1 in Pins and Ports.

I have the old parallel printer port connection from my computer to my controller not USB.

I reinstalled Bob Cad and Mach 3 and everything is working on the screens but no signal output to the controller.🤪🤮🤯

Rick

tsp&b

Silver Member
Rick, Please report back with your results and an evaluation of the Mach 3 XP

Thanks!!

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Rick, Please report back with your results and an evaluation of the Mach 3 XP

Thanks!!

Thanks to those who tried to help. I had the right address all along as verified by Kim and Al.

Turns out my device manager does not see my LPT port only a com port. Rut Roe Scooby!

Kim took me through the device manager and I may need a new LPT card on my motherboard.

Got the Geek Squad comming on Thurs to my shop.

Thanks again.

Rick

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Device manager does not see my LPT port" does not make it clear if it is not listed or listed but grayed out.
Here are a few ideas to troubleshoot.
  • Is the device "hidden" in the Device Manager? Google possible steps for your operating system.
  • If it is listed, you should be able to right-click and update drivers for the device.
  • If not listed, look for the chipset drivers for your motherboard, download & install them.
  • Also, have you updated the motherboard BIOS and made sure that the LPT port is enabled? You'll be able to pull that from the desktop manufacturer or from the motherboard itself.

There are many possible software issues to troubleshoot before moving to a hardware solution. The LPT port is generally built-into the motherboard and is not a commonly serviced item.

Best of luck.

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that is a good suggestion.......... but Rick is an Apple man and not familiar with that method..............

Kim

Hard to believe a fella using the tagline "Handcrafted Cues using Procedural Process Control" can't use Google to figure out how to get to the BIOS on a Windows PC. :eek:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
that is a good suggestion.......... but Rick is an Apple man and not familiar with that method..............

Kim

Hate to say it but , one must learn how to work the BIOS when working with MACH 3.
Take out all the unnecessary stuff . Disable them.

External/PCI cards are not friendly with MACH 3.

If your motherboard has a built-in LPT port ( or as we call it printer port ), YOU DO NOT ADD AN external one.

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member
Joey,
I tried the PCI card myself. Used the correct resources for Mach3 to see the card and could never get it to work. It seems that a built in LPT port is the way to go for Mach3 unless a smoothstepper arrangement is used.

Alan.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Hate to say it but , one must learn how to work the BIOS when working with MACH 3.
Take out all the unnecessary stuff . Disable them.

External/PCI cards are not friendly with MACH 3.

If your motherboard has a built-in LPT port ( or as we call it printer port ), YOU DO NOT ADD AN external one.

A plug in I/O card with a serial and a parallel port will work just fine with Mach 3 if you tell Mach 3 the address of the port.............. I have been using one for 6 years...

Kim

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member

tsp&b

Silver Member

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
After all is said and done, I am back up and running very well.

Turns out that 388 was not the address that worked for me.

I had a new computer custom built for me 2 years ago and bought a new XP Pro licience. I did not wish to expose my CNC to the internet because I was paranoid of a possible virus. I am running Bobcad V 23 with a dongle and did not wish to upgrade as I have become fluent in the operation of V23.

V23 performs 4th axis and the 2d pocketing and profiling perfectly so why change? I guess if I owned a machine shop the upgraded versions would offer good things but building cue bullets, and doing inlays works well with V23.

I saw a video about Mach 3 on You tube and the guy said 388 is the number but he also said about 2% of the users need another number for Port 1 in the pins and ports. Mine was Z88.

I finally got my new shop constructed and up and running in Las Vegas. For the last month is was very frustrating because of issues with my computer and software. Finally I have some peace with these issues.

Again thanks to all who tried to help especially my good buddy Kim.

Rick

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
After all is said and done, I am back up and running very well.

I had a new computer custom built for me 2 years ago and bought a new XP Pro licience. I did not wish to expose my CNC to the internet because I was paranoid of a possible virus. I am running Bobcad V 23 with a dongle and did not wish to upgrade as I have become fluent in the operation of V23.

V23 performs 4th axis and the 2d pocketing and profiling perfectly so why change? I guess if I owned a machine shop the upgraded versions would offer good things but building cue bullets, and doing inlays works well with V23.

I saw a video about Mach 3 on You tube and the guy said 388 is the number but he also said about 2% of the users need another number for Port 1 in the pins and ports. Mine was Z88.

I finally got my new shop constructed and up and running in Las Vegas. For the last month is was very frustrating because of issues with my computer and software. Finally I have some peace with these issues.

Again thanks to all who tried to help especially my good buddy Kim.

Rick
Great going.

Did you get a humidifier and heater setup in the shop ?

I can't imagine cutting wood with the door open there .

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Rick

Glad you're up and running. Unfortunately, we didn't hear back and were left with the ambiguous "Device manager does not see my LPT port."
Step two of my suggestions was to check the LPT port in the Device Manager; the "Resources" tab there lists the port address. I had a system a while back that didn't use the standard port address either. Issue resolved start to finish in about 6 mouse clicks.

Happy Holidays; hope Vegas treats you well.

~Beau