I thought this was a topic important enough to warrant its own thread.
Michael Merzenich says that current research in neuroscience shows that you can reverse the cognitive decline that we thought comes inevitably with aging. The reversal of cognitive decline, however, requires a lifestyle that is obsessed with learning new things and re-learning and fine-tuning your current skills. Think of a concert violinist, who has to constantly be practicing his/her skills just to keep one's job in the long run. As Merzenich puts it: don't live on autopilot.
Merzenich's 26 minute lecture:
http://fora.tv/2010/11/18/Michael_Merzenich_Rewiring_the_Brain
I made a short blog post on the topic too:
http://caroming-the-combination.blogspot.com/2011/11/make-pool-serious-hobby-reverse-aging.html
Michael Merzenich says that current research in neuroscience shows that you can reverse the cognitive decline that we thought comes inevitably with aging. The reversal of cognitive decline, however, requires a lifestyle that is obsessed with learning new things and re-learning and fine-tuning your current skills. Think of a concert violinist, who has to constantly be practicing his/her skills just to keep one's job in the long run. As Merzenich puts it: don't live on autopilot.
Merzenich's 26 minute lecture:
http://fora.tv/2010/11/18/Michael_Merzenich_Rewiring_the_Brain
I made a short blog post on the topic too:
http://caroming-the-combination.blogspot.com/2011/11/make-pool-serious-hobby-reverse-aging.html