Making a Pool Cue - Really Cool and Relaxing Video

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was interesting to watch…….Jerry Rauenzahn told me he let glued veneers sit for 10-12 weeks.
He was just as careful about decorative rings. He explained that it ensured the veneers and rings
would remain flush and even and not raise up over the years. He was also very busy making cues
so that could have been a factor too. This cue maker certainly has all the modern equipment to
produce great looking pool cues. And the part I found the most curious is that the cue maker uses
a wax on the cue I have been telling everyone is the best to use on cue shafts……Renaissance Wax.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Some good info in the comments as well. Looks like he follows JC's finishing method:

I really appreciate it! Finishing has made me consider quitting cue making more than anything else. From what I can gather, nothing beats automotive clear coat spray, but I won't touch it because of the toxicity/proximity to family/et cetera. I used to use UV but it was a nightmare. Invisible pockmarks, craters, white specks from nothing. Never again. The stuff I use now, I absolutely love. It's easy, non toxic, and you cannot tell a difference between it and a cue coated with auto clear. The company is called Crystalac, and the product is Brite Tone Top Coat. You'll want gloss. Apply with a brush. Wicked thin coats. Like, stupid thin. Is it even on there, thin. Every four hours. I'll typically do around 15 coats. Sounds like a long time but in practice its usually just a couple days. Then cure for a week. Always sand wet. Start with 800 wrapped around a block. Careful around edges, I don't do those with a block. Once there are zero craters and everything is 100% matte, you're done and can remove the block. Then continue with 1000, 1200, 1500, 3000, no block for any of them. By the way, in this video I apply the Brite Tone but please disregard the amount I used. I was distracted thinking about shooting logistics and it was wayyyyyy too much for a single coat. I ended up sanding it all down and restarting off camera. For polishing: meguiars ultimate compound, then meguiars synthetic sealant 2.0, then renaissance wax. Moving backwards real quick, the sealer coat is also important and seems to be highly variable between cue makers. I personally use epoxy to seal everything in. Hard as a rock. Adds a little weight. I just love the feel of a cue that's been sealed in epoxy, feels sturdy. I use Max 1618. Favorite stuff on the planet, seriously, the best epoxy you can get. There is a UV sanding sealer that lots of people love, Solarez I can't Believe It's Not Lacquer. I want it to work so badly, because the amount of time it saves is incredible. But it's too temperamental.

Skess

Another sidearmer...
Silver Member
I wonder what the start to finish time was... Don't remember seeing it in the video.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Another cool video. A full splice this time, cocobolo into birdseye. Great looking cue!

He also shows you how nasty cocobolo dust is. Gave him a rash on his hands and he was careful.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At least he didn't cut his finger and bleed all over the place!
Yes I was a bit concerned as he pushed those small pieces of ebony over the jointer/planer without the aid of push sticks. A great vid! Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

R2PQZ

Yes I was a bit concerned as he pushed those small pieces of ebony over the jointer/planer without the aid of push sticks. A great vid! Thanks for sharing!
In case you didn't see it Dennis cut his finger while cutting seam on leather wrap. He kept working and wiping blood from wrap. VHS cue making video he sold for $100.00. Should have retaped without the blood.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member

I flinched too! Those blades can trim down to the bone and beyond in a heartbeat!

A very nice video and nice cue. If he stays with cue building he should go places. Even with all of the things he didn't show and the wait times involved, it is easy to see why custom cues are the best buys on the planet!

Hu