Making a Safety Break in Bca rules 8 ball

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How and where is the best way to hit a safety break so that there are the most clusters ? 4 balls have to hit the rail. The more clusters the better.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How and where is the best way to hit a safety break so that there are the most clusters ? 4 balls have to hit the rail. The more clusters the better.
I'd try hitting the head ball straight on with draw to bring the cue ball back to the head cushion.

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll give it a try and see how that works. Always appreciate the replies.

Mr. Wiggles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Safe break

I'll give it a try and see how that works. Always appreciate the replies.

From left side of table, hit cue low left. Low brings cue sideways and left brings cue hopefully back to mid table. Med break with good enough low to not go forward. This is also a 8 on break type break. Oh, good grief, almost forgot, hit second ball on left side of rack! Speed will determine how junky table can get. My theory is a screwed up table and everybody works hard! If you see yourself as a runout player then jump up there froggy and break hard and run out! This break makes balls also, especially right corner ball. Very irritating to break hard and not make a ball and opp starts easy run.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
first diamond long rail into long rail opposite side @ first diamond above side pocket........half tip high and med/soft speed..............it will bury the CB in the stack and pop balls out to the corner, just don't make the corner ball lol.

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not a consistant run out player. I can, but the percentages are against it. That's why I 'd rather break safe and make both players work to get out. Rather then breaking, not making anything and the other person runs out.

Bum

Registered
Cluster Break

Recently I have started doing this at my local small bar tournament. There are a handful of players that are more than capable of running a table out. Two players are AAA and better. I was tired of breaking only to scratch and not make a ball just to get run out on. The tournament format is a race to 2 on both sides. Leaving no room for error against a good player. I have found that by playing this way and using defense suffocates my opponent and frustrates them and gives me an advantage. I have won three out of five weeks 1st place.

I have received complaints about my play style and also some very angy and unsportsmanship like comments after and during the match. I do not dislike my opponents so I do not take i personal but I do however feel bad sometimes playing this way. One week I got out of my discipline and I broke normal and scratched my opponent ran out. It was alternate break and he broke and ran.

What are your thoughts AZ people. Thanks in advance for your valued input. BTW we are playing BCA rules and in all breaks I am driving at least four balls to a rail.

gsm1sw

Banger by birth
Gold Member
Silver Member
What are your thoughts AZ people. Thanks in advance for your valued input. BTW we are playing BCA rules and in all breaks I am driving at least four balls to a rail.

If you are following the rules and winning then you're doing it right :)

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
safety break

Check the rules. If you intend to play a seafety break, I believe it is to be announced beforehand in order to ensure that 4 drive a rail. A courtesy to your opponent. Not necessary when a soft break occurs as a result of a bad break, etc.