Mariposa cue

maplecap

Jack
Silver Member
Hello, I was wondering if anybody knows what size the wooden pin in a Mariposa cue is? I'm looking to have a pro taper shaft made for mine. Thanks I know the thread count is 10 per inch, but the pin size measures out at .474 .Is this considered 12mm or 15/32 or actually 1/2? I've lost touch with Kyle and was hoping someone with a Mariposa knew.

Last edited:

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i was under the impression

they used the same as i do on my cues, its 1/2 by 8 inch. but could me wrong

maplecap

Jack
Silver Member
I recieved a couple of PM's and was told the wood pin size is definately 15/32 x 10. Also was told this is the way to identify a Mariposa cue. I'm still hoping to get pin and shaft protectors and was hoping to get a pro taper shaft made. Thanks desi2960 for your response. The search for Kyle continues.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Hi,

I live threaded a shaft to mate one of Kyle's cues two years ago and I believe it was 1/2 x 8 but can't remember exactly. I think it is the same as the Adams 3C cues?

Kyle is living in the Netherlands going to school for Eco restorations. Kyle is a true tree hugger to the max. He got a special scholarship.

Rick

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I'd get that wood pin replaced with 3/8 10
Or 11 G10 to make life easier.
No added weight when that's done.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
joeyincal

Why the hell would replace a wood pin with a synthetic material? Would you use a brush or roller to paint a 63 corvette ?

No disrespect meant, but !!!!!!

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Why the hell would replace a wood pin with a synthetic material? Would you use a brush or roller to paint a 63 corvette ?

No disrespect meant, but !!!!!!

I'd spray the Corvette with a synthetic 2-part clear coat.

G10 resonates like ebony. It's virtually almost the same weight as maple .

He wouldn't be able to tell the difference if it had wood or G10 joint screw.

maplecap

Jack
Silver Member
Thanks Rick for the Kyle update. I knew him when he was working for the city of Park Ridge. The stick he gave me was one of his personal players so it was one of his older cues, not from his last batch. It has a heavy Euro taper. Maybe he changed pin sizes? It's definately 15/32 x 10.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
joey

thanks for the info about the g10, but i am still going to use organic over man made.

the paint job was a trick question. the real answer is, you do NOT paint a 63 vet, even a poor original paint job on a 63 is more desirable than a respray.

real money wants original, original, original

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for the info about the g10, but i am still going to use organic over man made.

the paint job was a trick question. the real answer is, you do NOT paint a 63 vet, even a poor original paint job on a 63 is more desirable than a respray.

real money wants original, original, original

Lol, that's pretty funny. I'm no expert, but I wouldn't change it either.

To the OP, do you have any pics of the pin/cue that might clear things up!

maplecap

Jack
Silver Member
Mariposa

Hope these came out OK. The reason I was asking was because someone was selling a Mariposa shaft but said the pin size was 1/2" DSCN0083.jpg

DSCN0084.jpg

DSCN0085.jpg

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not the same as mine 1/2 by 8 inches

i took these photos of the one i carry with me. when someone sees the wood pin, they ask if i am not afraid i will break it, i just take this one from my case, hand it to them and tell them go ahead and break it.

i have had this one in my case for years, no one has broke it yet !!!!!

Attachments

• P3260911.jpg
    P3260911.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 492
  • P3260903.jpg
    P3260903.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 474

Everglade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DSCF0475_zps83105182.jpg

This is a Miraposa pin I replaced after the customer slammed it down after missing a shot about 10 years ago. Fortunately I found it in my junk collection. It measures .470 on the major diameter and its 10 TPI. Not sure if Kevin was making this to the American Standard Unified threads or not. The major diameter of .470/.475 makes it a 15/32-10. I don't know if he ever changed his thread dimensions. This is the only one I have ever worked on. Hope this helps.