Masters, triangle chalk becoming outdated

phreaticus

Yes, it's possible, because master chalk is coarse like sandpaper.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk
Yeah, I completely agree, thats actually what I like about the old stuff, has a minor shaping effect on soft tips. Some guys in the other Toam thread couldn’t wrap their heads around the concept. I was being sarcastic.

People sure are passionate about chalk, old or new…! 😳🤣

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool guys resisting change??? Are you nutz???

Tips of every style
LD shafts
Carbon Fiber
Chalk of all kinds

who do you think is buying all this stuff??? Snooker players???
Let’s think about this a little deeper

League players-buy everything

Pool players-not as much

Best
Fatboy

Sponsored players-all the free shit they can get their hands on😂

peter_gunn

])3a]) s']['rok3
Silver Member
Pool guys resisting change??? Are you nutz???

Tips of every style
LD shafts
Carbon Fiber
Chalk of all kinds

who do you think is buying all this stuff??? Snooker players???
Actually many top tier snooker pros are using taom chalk

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Let’s think about this a little deeper

League players-buy everything

Pool players-not as much

Best
Fatboy

Sponsored players-all the free shit they can get their hands on😂
Yes, for sure sponsored players! Which backs up my position that pool player are definitely not resistant to change and show that they jump at just about anything new, both sponsored and non-sponsored.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After seeing the Tweeten tour in post #233, I belive Master and Triangle are the exact same.
I've this this several years back when I ordered Tringle because the yellow wrap i could see easier
and not leave it like Blue Diamon or Master.
I notice no difference , I do chalk almost every shot.
I do have Taom for when I play at a friends house.
Regardless which I use, I wipe my tips off everytime I'm through playing, as well as my entire cue
befor putting them in my case. Costs me about an extra minute per cue, but my cues & cases are clean?

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
After seeing the Tweeten tour in post #233, I belive Master and Triangle are the exact same.
I've this this several years back when I ordered Tringle because the yellow wrap i could see easier
I notice no difference , I do chalk almost every shot.
I've never noticed any performance difference (CB action) with any chalk I've ever applied to my cues over the years. I bought a gross of yellow wrapped Triangle, because that's what all the snooker players used back then. Figured someone else already figured out what works so why bother wasting my time. The game is hard enough without burning time on the inconsequential.
I do have Taom for when I play at a friends house.
Careful here. I know he's your friend and all, but if you hang out to much you may end up having to shape your tip more often. If you don't do your own tip work you may want to reassess the friendship against cue maintenance fees. It sucks, but it's apparently the cross that Taom users bear.
Regardless which I use, I wipe my tips off everytime I'm through playing, as well as my entire cue
befor putting them in my case. Costs me about an extra minute per cue, but my cues & cases are clean?
So do I and any self respecting cue owner as well. Can't image someone not caring about making a mess of their case. ..Then again, I can't image why people would drill into a piece of chalk and make a mess of their cue either....lol

GentlemanJames

I notice no difference.
This begs the question:

Is there indeed a formula difference between Tweeten's Master, Triangle, and, Silver Cup chalk (or any other chalk for that matter) - which is not based on personal preference, but based on scientific fact?

Seems to me a Chemist could easily analyse and compare these different chalks to quantify the relative amounts of: Silca (Silicone Dioxide SiO2), Corundum (Crystal Aluminum Oxide Al2O3), Binding Agent, and Dye. Since the basic chalk formula which we use today has been around since before 1900, the only mystery to the difference in these 3 Tweeten chalks - if any - would be in the specific formulation 'recipe' (which can significantly affect play, paint-ability, and how well it holds or not ).

Just as we all have specific preferences for certain durometer rated cue tips by their hardness rating, why don't we have the same basic information for the chalk which we prefer (e.g. 80/20, 85/15, or 90/10 Silica/Corundum)? Also, the higher the level and type of binder used, would keep more chalk on the tip and less on the table, and result in a 'cleaner' chalk - so, perhaps you would want to add that number into your preferred chalk 'recipe' too, when selecting the right chalk for you - just like how you choose your preferred cue tip.

Someone on here must have a chemist buddy who could analyse 3 cubes of chalk to reveal the answer; even if only for gits and shiggles.

Anyone? - GJ

Last edited:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll spot anybody taom chalk and bet the room blind....busy every room doing it.

Chalk does not improve your play. Utter nonsense.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
This begs the question:

Is there indeed a formula difference between Tweeten's Master, Triangle, and, Silver Cup chalk (or any other chalk for that matter) - which is not based on personal preference, but based on scientific fact?

Seems to me a Chemist could easily analyse and compare these different chalks to quantify the relative amounts of: Silca (Silicone Dioxide SiO2), Corundum (Crystal Aluminum Oxide Al2O3), Binding Agent, and Dye. Since the basic chalk formula which we use today has been around since before 1900, the only mystery to the difference in these 3 Tweeten chalks - if any - would be in the specific formulation 'recipe' (which can significantly affect play, paint-ability, and how well it holds or not ).

Just as we all have specific preferences for certain durometer rated cue tips by their hardness rating, why don't we have the same basic information for the chalk which we prefer (e.g. 80/20, 85/15, or 90/10 Silica/Corundum)? Also, the higher the level and type of binder used, would keep more chalk on the tip and less on the table, and result in a 'cleaner' chalk - so, perhaps you would want to add that number into your preferred chalk 'recipe' too, when selecting the right chalk for you - just like how you choose your preferred cue tip.

Someone on here must have a chemist buddy who could analyse 3 cubes of chalk to reveal the answer; even if only for gits and shiggles.

Anyone? - GJ

Here is deal about the formulas to produce Chalk. Sure you could figure out ingredients. If you want to spend money on laboratory fees for testing.

But then there is the how they Achebe the product with the part that is the companies secret process.

MASTER, TRIANGLE, and SILVER CUP are cheap if you buy s gross.

Why beat your self up, spend money trying to figure out how they do it?

Just buy a Gross and play pool good, the good is something few acheve.

The Good is GOOD enough to bet anyone at 8, 9, 20 Ball, 14/1, Banks, or One Pocket!

Up for that challenge❓🤓🤓🤓

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I'll spot anybody taom chalk and bet the room blind....busy every room doing it.

Chalk does not improve your play. Utter nonsense.
No one ever said it does
Not once.

Where did you come to that conclusion though, just curious?

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play pool and bass fish with Ambassaduer reels only, so I'm fixing to tell y'all a lie.
I never miscue nor do I ever backlash!

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have expressed my distaste for the price of Toam chalk. But this thread got me thinking a little bit. Let us say, for instance, Master chalk did not exist today. With the exuberant price of research and development in this day and age, how much would that cube of Masters chalk cost us if it was R&D'd today? We are just reaping the benefits of a product from 100 years ago more or less.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I have used Masters and Silver Cup in the past and have both Magic Chalk and Blue Diamond for my home table.

I prefer the Magic and Blue Diamond.

Yes they cost more...probably $4/year vs 75 cents, how cheap are you guys?

I am not familiar with Taom. I had a Kamui evangelist let me try his sacred cube at a bar one night...definately what made me look beyond Masters but too messy for home use.

No I am not trying to buy a better game...does that really have to come up every time someone wants a new shaft or balls or chalk...especially coming from guys with a closet full of custom cues.

I just like a smoother, less dusty/squeaky chalk.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk