Masters, triangle chalk becoming outdated

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
im satisfied with whatever ... chalk doesnt make me play any better or worse ... but im not gullible enough to spend 20 bucks on chalk
You just keep on saying that like that's what people are going to believe if you just keep on saying it lmao

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
You probably wander about pool rooms growling at young folk who have carbon shafts

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Taking notes on who has what, then researching online what they may or may not have paid for them because you don't know if it was bought used or new

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used Master for 40 years.
I bought one of each color (blue and light green) Taom a while back to try out. My cloth is red and my Master chalk for home use is red. While the Taom is definitely cleaner, I still prefer the red Master chalk on my table. I was getting a few specs of blue and green on my red cloth with the Taom. Even though I'm likely getting more chalk on my cloth with the red Master, it blends in better and I don't notice it as much.
I've never really had an issue getting chalk on my hands/ferrule/shaft with any brand.
I can't tell any difference in the effect on spin from Master to Taom and I usually chalk between every shot.
Green cloth/blue chalk. Used to be, you could usually tell how old the cloth was, by how blue it was.

mrpiper

Registered
I switched to TAOM chalk and found it is clearly not BETTER, but VERY MUCH CLEANER! As a result, I am now a permanent TAOM user. I just like the total lack of chalk marks all over the table and dusted all over the carpet.

As far as playability, I can not imagine any chalk could make a difference as long as the tip is covered.

Have you ever tried using programmable lighting to test the color reflectivity off the cloth and balls?

Today's LEDS have a nice range and provide interesting color effects with certain color pigments.

Just think glow in the dark billiards, but for people with limited vision. LMK If you want to know more.

Pool playing for blind people can be a thing soon.

I have my pool table, a golf simulator and a bar in a garage I built as a man-cave. It is 30'x50' and the ceiling are about 20' high. I was afraid I wouldn't have enough light for the pool table, so I hung more lights than needed. They are LED and dimmable. When on 100%, they are BRIGHT! I'm talking "sunny day" or "operating room" bright and no shadows anywhere!

By the way, how did you know I am blind? :cool:

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I have my pool table, a golf simulator and a bar in a garage I built as a man-cave. It is 30'x50' and the ceiling are about 20' high. I was afraid I wouldn't have enough light for the pool table, so I hung more lights than needed. They are LED and dimmable. When on 100%, they are BRIGHT! I'm talking "sunny day" or "operating room" bright and no shadows anywhere!

By the way, how did you know I am blind? :cool:

Have you combined the programmable lights with programmable glasses? Matching the frequencies for specific conditions could be fun to play with.

If you add cpu and gpu power then you might become the terminator.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
im satisfied with whatever ... chalk doesnt make me play any better or worse ... but im not gullible enough to spend 20 bucks on chalk
You keep saying the same thing, over and over. Nobody cares. Yes, you are very superior to gullible me. Smarter, better looking, and have a much larger... personality.

There's no possibility that us suckers that buy expensive Taom have decided that $1 per month is a fair price to keep our hands, cues, and most importantly tables clean. Balls that skid less? Also for the mentally feeble. Nope, we're just simpletons! This chalk's gonna make me Earl in no time!

Get over yourself.

Das Cue-Boot

I switched to TAOM chalk and found it is clearly not BETTER, but VERY MUCH CLEANER! As a result, I am now a permanent TAOM user. I just like the total lack of chalk marks all over the table and dusted all over the carpet.

As far as playability, I can not imagine any chalk could make a difference as long as the tip is covered.
I'm going to disagree on part of what you said. It is better. I find that I have far fewer miscues, have to apply chalk about a tenth as often, and don't have the mess to vacuum up. Being a retired chemical engineer, I can appreciate and understand the work done by the Japanese, American and Finnish engineers to improve on the 1920's tech embodied by Masters and the like. I've also seen noticeably lower wear on my cue tips, so extending the life of the tips, each one of which costs about as much as a block of Taom Pyro.

Cost? Well, I've got $4k in pool table, $2k in cues and balls, so am I really going to worry about a few cents in chalk? At my current usage rate with Pyro, I'll be buying another block in mid 2024, and I play a lot. If you do a simple cost analysis, I probably save three hours a month just not looking for my chalk block so I can apply antique chalk every other shot, having to wash my hands every time I want to touch something, and not having to vacuum the table once a week. Add all that up along with tips and reduced cloth wear, and I consider Masters and Silver Cup liabilities. I donated them all to the Senior Center and hope to not see them in the house again.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think I'm going to give it a try after listening to one of the announcers of the Mosconi Cup
talking about that it helps with skids or kicks as the Europeans call it.

Cuedup

I love Toam but I drink too much and forget to pack it up.
I use the Masters sky blue rather than the dark blue. Works fine and is much cleaner.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I think I'm going to give it a try after listening to one of the announcers of the Mosconi Cup
talking about that it helps with skids or kicks as the Europeans call it.
It really is amazing stuff. It won't make you a monster, but it is SUPER clean, will help with skids and might prevent a few miscues. Chalk won't fix a stroke though, it's still possible to miscue!

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
The Outdated thing is bull as Master & Triangle have been around 100 years. How man Pros use? How many championships have been won with the product?

Could there be new super chalks? Yes but are they really super?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Outdated thing is bull as Master & Triangle have been around 100 years. How man Pros use? How many championships have been won with the product?

Could there be new super chalks? Yes but are they really super?

In another 100 years the newer chalk users are likely to have as many wins as with the old chalk. In races there are probably more horses that won than cars, but given time things will become closer.

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
I used to think the whole custom cue thing was insane in terms of everyone looking to find "Excalibur" the weapon that would take their game to the next level etc....

Then it was tips. Super duper layered tips.

Now, chalk. Really? Chalk? LOL

I'm ALL for product improvement, but too many folks think it makes up for or adds to skill. Wrong.

Ask yourself, how many tens of thousands of 150+ ball runs were made by pros over the decades with masters? How many millions of racks of 9-ball were run with $0.10 Elk Master tips....

Performance concerns, until it can be scientifically demonstrated shouldn't factor in.

Custom cues are good because they feel nice, look great.
Layered tips are good because they (usually) don't mushroom and tend to be more consistent from one to the next.
Fancy chalk is less messy, applies better.

Those are legit reasons. They don't make balls though.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play with what you like…..for your home table, just make sure others also use it as well.
Cleanliness is my primary criterion for picking a chalk brand. Aside from that, all chalks
perform alike when properly applied. It a well worn out topic. Everyone has an opinion.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
I like masters or tiger or magic chalk for out and about. Taom V10 at home or in the private club to keep things cleaner.
Masters and Triangle are not going anywhere!