Match made in heaven

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats funny but on a more serious note. Yesterday in my town a car ran into a pole and exploded in flames. In 120 years we are still driving cars that are rolling bombs. Houses are still built like they were 100 years ago with roofs that blow off and burn to the ground with the slightest spark. The jetpack may be the least of the things that the future promised and didn't deliver.

'reserve yours now'.

Neat idea but not yet real.

I didn't look too closely at the interior accouterments, but the appliances are $$$$.

middleofnowhere

Registered
'reserve yours now'.

Neat idea but not yet real.

I didn't look too closely at the interior accouterments, but the appliances are $$$$.
The claim to have thousands of pre orders. I always thought prefab would be the future of home building. Not trailers but actual well constructed pieces built in a factory and assembled on site.
I have looked into ICF building.
I was actually in touch with this guy and could not get on his waiting list. His buildings will last hundreds of years.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The claim to have thousands of pre orders. I always thought prefab would be the future of home building. Not trailers but actual well constructed pieces built in a factory and assembled on site.
I was actually in touch with this guy and could not get on his waiting list. His buildings will last hundreds of years.
I agree the prospect of quality prefabs is interesting, but I really don't know why the industry hasn't taken hold.

Must be a good reason. I know generally high cost large items are good candidates for centralized production and also for transport to end user...but the 'why not' must consider lots more than that.

Toxictom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You just need to look at old copies of popular science or popular mechanics from the '50s. I'm still waiting for my jetpack and flying cars that was supposed to arrive by the year 2000.
LAX has recently had to warn pilots about a guy flying around in a jetpack on a couple occasions.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Thats funny but on a more serious note. Yesterday in my town a car ran into a pole and exploded in flames. In 120 years we are still driving cars that are rolling bombs. Houses are still built like they were 100 years ago with roofs that blow off and burn to the ground with the slightest spark. The jetpack may be the least of the things that the future promised and didn't deliver.

I wouldn't call cars rolling bombs, it usually requires an extremely freak set of circumstances for them to catch fire. If you look at most car fires the source is quite often owner installed stereos and other electrical accessories. Its common place for these geniuses to run unfused 4 ga. positive cable thru door jambs to power up amps and subwoofers.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For a single man truck driving sounds like a great job. If you are married then being away from home wouldn't work out.

middleofnowhere

Registered
I wouldn't call cars rolling bombs, it usually requires an extremely freak set of circumstances for them to catch fire. If you look at most car fires the source is quite often owner installed stereos and other electrical accessories. Its common place for these geniuses to run unfused 4 ga. positive cable thru door jambs to power up amps and subwoofers.
Most are ruptured gas tanks, ruptured gas lines and a catalytic converter that's all you need.

Last edited:

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member

lol....That's how I started my first car fire.

Jeff Livingston

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Made me think of this, give it a listen a let me know what you think. I think it's ridiculously funny, if you're not a fan of an F bomb, maybe don't listen though haha (y) (y)
That's funny, thanks.

Semi-reminds me of my favorite strain of jetpack comedy:

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a few acres I'm looking to build a cabin on and have looked deeply into alternative methods like aircrete, etc.

What I keep coming back to is that to do a one-off build, planning for the unknowns and intriciacies just doesn't outweigh doing stick-built.

In other words, if I was going into business to develop something for multiple customers, I'd be willing to look more into the value proposition of learning how to do it repeatedly and at scale with some revolutionary material that reduces cost, is simpler to deploy, etc.

But, just for my own cabin? I could frame a wall faster than I could learn how to cast a unique mixture of concrete, understand how to get it past code enforcement, get it insured as a dwelling, etc.

But man I REALLY want to do something unique, just for its own sake :)

middleofnowhere

Registered
I agree the prospect of quality prefabs is interesting, but I really don't know why the industry hasn't taken hold.

Must be a good reason. I know generally high cost large items are good candidates for centralized production and also for transport to end user...but the 'why not' must consider lots more than that.

I bought a few acres I'm looking to build a cabin on and have looked deeply into alternative methods like aircrete, etc.

What I keep coming back to is that to do a one-off build, planning for the unknowns and intriciacies just doesn't outweigh doing stick-built.

In other words, if I was going into business to develop something for multiple customers, I'd be willing to look more into the value proposition of learning how to do it repeatedly and at scale with some revolutionary material that reduces cost, is simpler to deploy, etc.

But, just for my own cabin? I could frame a wall faster than I could learn how to cast a unique mixture of concrete, understand how to get it past code enforcement, get it insured as a dwelling, etc.

But man I REALLY want to do something unique, just for its own sake :)
I have acreage in North Florida where I'm going to go after I sell this house. Fortunately there's a dumpy old house on it and a trailer so I've already got utilities there. Building on vacant land can really be your biggest problem. That along with building codes and city and county.

I'm just outside of Tallahassee which is great because I'm rural but only 15 minutes from sizable city with hospitals and everything. Plus Tallahassee has like seven pool rooms last I checked. I've been looking at ICf forms you can find a whole lot on youtube. My wife believe it or not is interested in a dome house a geodesic dome.

Last edited:

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have acreage in North Florida where I'm going to go after I sell this house. Fortunately there's a dumpy old house on it and a trailer so I've already got utilities there. Building on vacant land can really be your biggest problem. That along with building codes and city and county.

I'm just outside of Tallahassee which is great because I'm rural but only 15 minutes from sizable city with hospitals and everything. Plus Tallahassee has like seven pool rooms last I checked. I've been looking at ICS forms you can find a whole lot on youtube. My wife believe it or not is interested in a dome house a geodesic dome.
dude I'm SAMESIES

Middle of nowhere but 15 minutes from town. Got lucky and got power run underground for $5/foot, thank goodness.

My wife against all odds LOVES the way aircrete domes look. Wood cabin, meh ...

Oh wait, I have no poolrooms, haha

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Most are ruptured gas tanks, ruptured gas lines and a catalytic converter that's all you need.

Not really, fuel line fires are extremely rare because the fuel pump shuts off as soon as the engine stops running. A cat wont light up fuel because its not as volatile as people think, it takes actual open flame or a lot of sparks to light up fuel unless you are running high octane race fuel, but pump fuel, not so much. Even though race fuel is slower burning it is much more volatile. Manufacturers are doing a good job of placing and protecting fuel tanks from rupturing, on top of that many tanks are now plastic which allows them to deform before rupturing. I am not saying that there isn't the rare case of a fuel fire after a car crash. The gas tank explosions that you see on TV are not fuel fires at all, fuel just doesn't explode like it does in movies. Of course I am getting my info from real life and actually working in the business and you are unlikely to see electrical fires on you tube, its just not as exciting as a car crash.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Not really, fuel line fires are extremely rare because the fuel pump shuts off as soon as the engine stops running. A cat wont light up fuel because its not as volatile as people think, it takes actual open flame or a lot of sparks to light up fuel unless you are running high octane race fuel, but pump fuel, not so much. Even though race fuel is slower burning it is much more volatile. Manufacturers are doing a good job of placing and protecting fuel tanks from rupturing, on top of that many tanks are now plastic which allows them to deform before rupturing. I am not saying that there isn't the rare case of a fuel fire after a car crash. The gas tank explosions that you see on TV are not fuel fires at all, fuel just doesn't explode like it does in movies. Of course I am getting my info from real life and actually working in the business and you are unlikely to see electrical fires on you tube, its just not as exciting as a car crash.
myth busters tried to make a car explode like in the movies and could not. My original point was, this day and age it should not happen at all, and it does.

I live in a house built in the 1920s. Honestly, it is built better then most houses built today, and as far as I am concerned, it's a dump.

Houses built today should come with an experation date. Walls you can punch through to the next room. Roofs made of partial board on 2x4 pre made frames that are assembled with gang nails. They fall apart unloading them off the truck.

My 100 year old house has wire lath and plaster walls almost a foot thick between rooms. My roof has full 2x8 beams and board roofing topped with Cuban tile.
Here's the worst part, I'm selling to a developer, it won't even exist a year from now. The land is too valuable.

They are going to build I believe 6 maybe 9 townhouses that will be dumps for like $750 each.

Last edited: